DVDVR Message Board

Royal Rumble XXXIV - 1/31/2021

Dolfan in NYC

17 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

I was there live at Rumble 2014. Between the shitty Cena-Orton and Batista winning it was the most hostile live crowd I've been in. 

Oof. Understandable. Least you got a great opener in Daniel Bryan vs. Bray Wyatt. By far Wyatt's best singles match. Still remember the spot when Wyatt countered Bryan's suicide dive to the Sister Abigail onto the barricade.

1 hour ago, Shartnado said:

I'll try and find a way to tell him you said that! I bet he'll be amused. I mean he seems like a guy who can take a joke, right?

I'll just say that he once chopped me for losing as him in a video game and leave it at that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 1/26/2021 at 8:26 AM, paintedbynumbers said:

With FS1 bring back WWE Backstage the night before the Rumble and CM Punk in quarantine for a "job"  they are really teasing him coming back for the Rumble.  Will it happen? Probably not, but it's always fun to see a tease before the Rumble. 

3 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

They could have announced number 30 on tv for years but they know fans love the shock and surprise.  There has to  be a bigger reason it's being announced on Backstage. Backstage isn't a weekly show any more either so there is a bigger reason they are bringing the show back the night before the rumble.  If they just wanted to randomly announce number 30 they could do so on WWE Network Saturday night.  But the fact that they are doing it on FS1 live is telling. It's gong to be a big name. Or Samoa Joe.  But it will be worth seeing either way. 

Setting yourself up for failure my dude. When has WWE made anyone quarantine to work there?? I've seen zero buzz or insinuation of Punk being involved outside of your post. Think you're connecting dots that just aren't there. Would love to see it happen, but it just doesn't make any sense. Where would he even fit in? Why would WWE shell out for him in the empty arena era? If they ever make up, you'd think they'd want a huge crowd there for the reaction.

Think you're also setting yourself up for failure on the men's 30 / women's 1 & 2 being on Backstage. That show was drawing dismal ratings. Like less that 40,000 people were watching, hence why it was cancelled. I think them announcing that you'll find out a couple Rumble spots on there is a their way to drive eyeballs to the show. Why would they give away a big name on a show no one watches? If it was meant to be important it would stay a surprise, or they'd announce it on TV and beat us over the head with it like everything else they push.

My random predictions for winners based on absolutely nothing: Women's Rhea Ripley. Flair & Asuka lose the tag titles in February. Flair beats Auska in March. Rhea vs Flair for the Raw title at Mania. Men's Cena. Mind you I'm picturing some kind of smoke and mirrors video editing where Cena doesn't have to leave his tv show set up in Canada. Somehow they send a ring up there and film something wacky that everyone hates. Goldberg beats McIntyre. Cena vs Goldberg for The Raw title. Yuck.

Haven't watched much main roster WWE lately, which makes the Rumble actually difficult to predict. That's nice. Can't skip this if there's actually a chance Bryan's winning.

Winner: Edge
Final Four: Edge, Daniel Bryan, Big E, Sheamus

Winner: Rhea Ripley
Final Four: Rhea Ripley, Bianca Belair, Bayley, Charlotte Flair

You gotta do whatever Fiend-Orton thing they might have planned mid-match to bump Orton or both of them out of the match, right? Right?! Please...

Edited by Andy in Kansas

1 hour ago, Gorman said:

I'm going to keep asking for this finish until I get it. 29 wrestlers in, 29 wrestlers out. Number 30 walks in and wins the Rumble. 

You need to find SHIMMER's Come as you are Rumble as a Dark match on their 1st Volume. 

• Like 2

I'll go with Sheamus as an under the radar pick, I've only been paying attention to Raw again since Goldberg came back but I seem to remember them holding off on Sheamus/Drew before, so could give a reason to do it now. I would like to see it and for it to remain face vs. face. When Edge left, he said he'd be coming back for Randy but if that's no longer a thing cause of Orton being stuck in hell, I pick AJ eliminating Edge to set them up for a Mania match. Originally I thought Orton winning the title last year was to set up Edge's Rumble win and rematch but that went nowhere. If braun or bayley won, i'm out on this WM.

Womens I could see Nikki Cross as another under the radar pick to win, Alexa wins the title in the Chamber and sets that up as a possible WM match.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

I'll go with Sheamus as an under the radar pick, I've only been paying attention to Raw again since Goldberg came back but I seem to remember them holding off on Sheamus/Drew before, so could give a reason to do it now. I would like to see it and for it to remain face vs. face. When Edge left, he said he'd be coming back for Randy but if that's no longer a thing cause of Orton being stuck in hell, I pick AJ eliminating Edge to set them up for a Mania match. Originally I thought Orton winning the title last year was to set up Edge's Rumble win and rematch but that went nowhere. If braun or bayley won, i'm out on this WM.

Womens I could see Nikki Cross as another under the radar pick to win, Alexa wins the title in the Chamber and sets that up as a possible WM match.

All feels way too logical. Sorry.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, DreamBroken said:

I'll go with Sheamus as an under the radar pick, I've only been paying attention to Raw again since Goldberg came back but I seem to remember them holding off on Sheamus/Drew before, so could give a reason to do it now. I would like to see it and for it to remain face vs. face. 

Yeah, from what I can tell they've been doing some kind of friends/mutual respect thing with him and Drew, which is why I'm bullish enough on him to put him in my final four. Then again, he's out there dropping falls to Keith Lee and Riddle and Styles these last few months and he's mixing it up with Miz and Morrison, so it's difficult to see where he really stands. But if Brock isn't coming back and Drew fends off Goldberg and they don't go the Edge route, Sheamus feels like a good pick. 

Man alive if people wouldn't have some hilarious reactions to two-time Rumble winner Sheamus. 

Edited by Andy in Kansas
  • Like 1

Men's Final 4:

Big E, Lashley, Keith Lee and D-Bry. Bryan eliminates Lashley to win. Big E gets the "lots of eliminations" treatment. 

As a fun aside, my 1 & 2 would be Rey & Dominik Mysterio. Would be a fun dynamic.

Women's Final 4:

Alexa, Bayley, Bianca, Ruby Riott.

Lights go out, Alexa disappears. Bianca eliminates other two, thinks she's won. Alexa re-appears & eliminates Bianca. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Andy in Kansas said:

I like this idea. But I'd be scared of their temptation to slot Rollins in at #3.

I've thought that too. In my head, 3-5 are kind of jobbery, so Rey can kind of be teaching Dominik as the match goes on. Have Rollins come in 6th, eliminate Rey before Dom eliminates Seth, setting up some tension. I'd love them to do Rey/Dom at Mania. 

48 minutes ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Man alive if people wouldn't have some hilarious reactions to two-time Rumble winner Sheamus. 

Seamus tying The Hulkster in career Rumble Wins is almost too funny not to do

• Like 1

My predictions for the Royal Rumble matches.

Men's Royal Rumble Match Winner: Daniel Bryan.

Runner Up: AJ Styles.

Final Four: Daniel Bryan, Edge, Cesaro, AJ Styles.

Iron Man: Cesaro.

Most Eliminations: Big E.

---

Women's Royal Rumble Match Winner: Bayley.

Runner Up: Bianca Belair.

Final Four: Bayley, Bianca Belair, Rhea Ripley and Charlotte Flair.

Iron Woman: Bayley.

Most Eliminations: Rhea Ripley.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1