DVDVR Message Board

Royal Rumble XXXIV - 1/31/2021

Dolfan in NYC

Put me down for a Bianca BelAir win on the way to Banks v BelAir @ Mania.

Bayley teams with Bille Kay to take the tag belts from the Riott Squad.

Asuka defends against Charlotte after Charlotte turns on her.

I kind of want to see Naomi turn heel/tweener for a short while and have Roman/Heyman talk her into joining The Bloodline. She can win the Woman's Battle Royal.

Then Jimmy has to comeback to try and save both his brother AND his wife.

Edited by L_W_P

1 minute ago, Eivion said:

I think Naomi is on Raw though I wouldn't mind them ignoring that and putting her on Smackdown again as a part of Bloodline. Tamina could be her muscle.

Reunites two of three who made up BAD. Naomi and Tamina.

Edited by The Natural

Well it appears that only the SDL World Titles will be defended on the show as Big E and Dolph Ziggler declared for the Rumble thus meaning no IC or Tag Title match

(I guess - yes - dudes could work twice but again you have a roster of a million)

4 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Realistically,  with 2 Rumbles taking up a good chunk of the show, and 2/3/4 title matches, How many more matches can you squeeze in? 

I feel like that is a threat to them

That being said - since the pandemic started all their PPVs have been 7 or 8 matches long (that includes the 1 kickoff show match) so assuming they are keeping everything in that time frame - It will probably be a 6 match show (Last year was 8 matches but again they have shorten the shows a little during the pandemic)

As of 1/23, the Rumble participants are (spoilered for size): 
MEN'S

Spoiler

Daniel Bryan

AJ Styles

Otis

Bobby Lashley

Randy Orton*

The Miz

Jey Uso

Cesaro

Shinsuke Nakamura

Jeff Hardy

Sami Zayn

Dolph Ziggler

18 to go

WOMXN'S

Spoiler

Nia Jax

Charlotte Flair

Mandy Rose

Dana Brooke

Bayley

Bianca Bel Air

Peyton Royce

Alexa Bliss

Shayna Baszler

Liv Morgan

Ruby Riott

Tamina

18 to go

1 hour ago, L_W_P said:

Rumble winner: John Cena - The quest to break Flair's record begins.

Cena is currently filming Peacemaker in Vancouver. I am fairly positive they aren't gonna give him the time off to work Rumble - especially when he would have to leave that production's "bubble", fly to Florida, be exposed to all the WWE wrestlers (which doesn't have the best COVID track record at the moment) and then fly back and presumably have to quarantine before being able to start shooting again

10 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Realistically,  with 2 Rumbles taking up a good chunk of the show, and 2/3/4 title matches, How many more matches can you squeeze in? 

2 rumbles, 4 "world" champions.  That already fills 4 hours even if they don't book anything else, which is part of why the rumble is the night where they shouldn't book anything else.

Bianca Belair spoke to the Sporting News about what it would mean if she were to headline a night of WrestleMania against Sasha Banks:

“Everything I have approached in WWE I do it looking for a purpose. When I think about a dream match, Sasha Banks would definitely be at the top of my list. And to think about headlining WrestleMania with Sasha Banks, that would be more than just a match. It’s more than having a great match with an effort to tear the house down. Nah, that’s top-level representation that will go down in the history books for multiple reasons. It gives me goosebumps. That would be a dream come true not just for me, but for many people. That would be a very special night, and I can't even explain what it would mean to me.”

I’d have BelAir #1 and Bayley #3, with Bayley winning. That way You can push Bianca as having the record for longest time in, but Bayley can brag about beating her. I feel like Sasha/Bayley at Mania is the plan since they kept them on the same roster after their blowoff.

As for Naomi with Bloodline, you have her, Tamina, and Nia as potential members. You could have Naomi as singles champ and Tamina/Jax as tag champs (although that likely isn’t a viable long term plan due to injury proneness).

• Like 2

On 1/24/2021 at 10:12 AM, RIPPA said:

Cena is currently filming Peacemaker in Vancouver. I am fairly positive they aren't gonna give him the time off to work Rumble - especially when he would have to leave that production's "bubble", fly to Florida, be exposed to all the WWE wrestlers (which doesn't have the best COVID track record at the moment) and then fly back and presumably have to quarantine before being able to start shooting again

I think we will get a 'shock' winner either way.

A returning Strowman or Rollins maybe.

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Trying to think when we last had a surprise winner. Nakamura in 2018? McIntyre last year?

I think there is a difference between "surprise" and "unexpected"

Unexpected to me are the ones who are on the roster and the Rumble win is used to elevate them (which is where I would put Nakamura and Drew)

Surprise to me is that "unannounced" person who wins (like Cena's win in '08 I think is the textbook example of this) - so that would mean the last one was probably Triple H in 2016. (Becky Lynch's win technically falls in here but I think we all knew she was gonna end up in the match somehow and win)

• Like 1

A friend asked me last night about possibly getting together to watch this.  I did let him know about how they're doing things and as of right now it's up in the air whether it's worth watching or just wait until it's back to normal next year.

It did make me wonder though if I'm the only one who doesn't have much if any interest in this show.  With it being empty arena a lot of the excitement just won't be there no matter what effects they pump into the speakers.  Surprise entrants only go so far if there's not people freaking out over it despite fans being on the screens.  So I guess as of right now I'm just not feeling it.

28 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

A friend asked me last night about possibly getting together to watch this.  I did let him know about how they're doing things and as of right now it's up in the air whether it's worth watching or just wait until it's back to normal next year.

It did make me wonder though if I'm the only one who doesn't have much if any interest in this show.  With it being empty arena a lot of the excitement just won't be there no matter what effects they pump into the speakers.  Surprise entrants only go so far if there's not people freaking out over it despite fans being on the screens.  So I guess as of right now I'm just not feeling it.

I’m pretty bored and in quarantine while my wife is in isolation (luckily she’s asymptomatic thus far), and I would have actually restarted my network again had the show been last night.

• Like 1

Rumble will be the first PPV I watch since last year's Rumble and that is just because I stupidly still enjoy the gimmick. I wouldn't say I was "looking forward to it" though

It is odd that they aren't having actual fans in the building since the talk when they moved to Tropicana Field was that they could have some (especially since Florida is like FILL THE PLACE~!) since the theory was they had so much space to spread out... say... 5000 fans.

• Like 5

I think it kind of makes more sense to have their first live crowd for WrestleMania.  Especially if it's going to be 25000-30000 like (I'm assuming) they want. 

They can then hype up their triumph over the pandemic, etc. 

I'm just really hoping they follow the NFL's lead and make sure a significant portion (if not everyone attending) has been vaccinated. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I've been enjoying Roman's work the past six months or so so I look forward to his matches, even in a case like this where I would have rather seen Roman face Nakamura or Pierce. Also been enjoying the new Carmella and her matches with Sasha so I'm game for another.

The rumbles themselves I have little excitement for. Those are experiences that need live crowds. I'm sure I will get some enjoyment out of it due to the roster, but it won't be anywhere near the same as what we've had in the past.

• Like 1