DVDVR Message Board

2021 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

The Natural

20 hours ago, J.T. said:

Too bad that Usman is rematching against Masvidal instead of Covington.  If Kamaru were fighting Colby, I could potentially see two dumbasses get smashed for the price of one.

Masvidal is Covington with personality...they're opinions about everything other than Colby Covington is literally exactly the same.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Infinit said:

I wonder if she hates Cubans too?

The thing is most Cuban national fighters (specifically a Hector Lombard and many of the ones who fled while on the national boxing team) are either anti Cuba, left their family behind to fight elsewhere, and/or represent an entirely different country. They still "represent" Cuba, but it's a very complex relationship to say the least. Therefore, it would be even more idiotic to project that onto one of them.

With Weili, even with the post fight interview antics we always reference here, I'm assuming it's more or less go along to get along. Unless Rose has this obsession to liberate her or something, it doesn't really make sense.

• Like 1

This makes me feel really old. Six years ago? At the time, that was one of the best technical fights I'd seen in WMMA. I hope Mizuki can recover from the ACL surgery and get a run going. 

• Like 1

If Covington numbskulls his way out of the rematch with Usman, there's always Leon Edwards.  I mean let's be honest, Covington is such an idiot, he might work his way out of the fight.

Edited by TheVileOne

4 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

If Covington numbskulls his way out of the rematch with Usman, there's always Leon Edwards. At least that wouldn't be a rematch.

Usman faced Edwards at UFC on Fox 17 back in 2015. Fun aside, the three early prelims for that card featured Ngannou, Vicente Luque, and Usman

• Like 2

Just now, jaedmc said:

Welterweight is crazy right now. 

It's also crazy that we finally have a champion in the higher weight classes since like Jon Jones in 2011 be more active than the contenders he's suppose to face. I think the one thing holding the division back is guys taking extending hiatuses. I know covid has played a role in that, but some of it has been for no good reason as well. Hopefully, things get back percolating. 

Looking forward to Figueiredo vs. Moreno 2, that was a 2020 FOTY candidate. In any other year it might have won but rightly went to one of the best MMA fights ever, Weili/Joanna. First fight ended in a draw, only the fourth championship fight ever.

Props to Paul Felder for holding his composure, not flipping his table and not punching that schmuck Josh Fabia in the mouth.

EDIT:

Apparently this video was from September. Was releasing this footage a secret cry for help from Diego?

Edited by TheVileOne

Jack Hermansson vs. Edmen Shahbazyan is off UFC 262. It is being pushed back a week to Fight Night on May 22

While the UFC has confirmed the move they have not given a reason yet