DVDVR Message Board

ALL PURPOSE DOCUMENTARY THREAD

hammerva

THE SPARKS BROTHERS is a musical odyssey through five weird and wonderful decades with Ron and Russell Mael celebrating the inspiring legacy of Sparks.

This looks incredible.

The funny thing is the supposedly-moral-except-all-their-programming-is-misery Viceland already did this on I Was A Teenage Felon. 

EDIT: Okay, not all their programming is misery, since I watched a couple Fuck That's Deliciouses last night

Edited by Curt McGirt

Heh, Vice is also doing the documentary Fear of a Black Quarterback next Thursday, which is gonna be a really long episode of Dark Side of Football. Unlike the Chyna doc on there right now which instead of a Dark Side episode looks like a Frankenstein's Monster of all kinds of sources. 

Apparently VICE is running out of ideas because they are doing a new Dark Side of the series only about the 90's.   I mean the 80's would be a better idea.  I guess even they figured you can only do so many shows about pot.

• Like 1

I already posted about this in the TV thread (haha) but yeah. The stupid thing is it seems to look like the same shit everyone already knows everything about: Nirvana, Tupac and Biggie, the Internet revolution, River Phoenix? I mean, seriously? Even the layman on the street knows these stories. 

EDIT: Christ, I was just flipping through channels and guess what's on Nat Geo? The '90s: The Last Great Decade?. So these topics aren't just well known but cable TV has already pillaged them. Vice always seemed to think their millennial audience was pretty savvy but I guess they changed their minds. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

hammerva pimped this in the Boxing thread and either I forgot it aired or missed it entirely so I went and binged all four episodes just now. It. Was. Awesome. First of all I missed the '80s. I've never SEEN these fights, OR these fighters. My era was Mike Tyson biting ears and talking shit. So getting to go back and watch this stuff was just jaw-dropping. The different personalities were all fascinating of course: Hagler the intellectual, Leonard the commercial, Hearns the downhome, and crazy-ass Duran haha. They tried to tie all four into the social structure of the '80s as well so there was a lot of Reagan showing up (too much IMO), and it's not unwarranted, but a little goes a long way. But THE FIGHTS. Wow. Even if you knew the results to these, here they all are in one package to watch again, even if clipped. 

Definitely worth a watch. 

EDIT: Well, what I didn't know is that the series hasn't finished airing yet! The third episode is coming out tonight at 7 PM Central. You can watch it all (like I did) if you have Sho On Demand however. So there.

Edited by Curt McGirt

• 2 weeks later...

Newest docu series from Netflix talking about pop music from many different subjects.  I haven't seen all of them but the one about Autotune/electronic music was interesting.  No idea T Pain actually a PBS concert where he played his music without the gimmick and how he is actually a good singer.   While I still generally hate autotune T Pain really comes off like a cool person

• Like 1

Summer of Soul is incredible.  The first thing that jumped out to me is that the sound quality for the concert is pristine.  The editing is also top notch.  Of course, it's a great story that they take in some interesting directions, too.  I loved it.

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned here or not, but Sophie on Netflix is really great so far.  I've seen two of the three episodes and I'm dying to watch the third this afternoon.  It's about a murder in a small Irish town.  There are enough twists and turns to make it really compelling.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

All the Streets Are Silent

In the late 80s and early 90s, the streets of downtown Manhattan were the site of a collision between two vibrant subcultures: skateboarding and hip hop. Narrated by Zoo York co-founder Eli Gesner with an original score by legendary hip-hop producer Large Professor (Nas, A Tribe Called Quest), ALL THE STREETS ARE SILENT brings to life the magic of a time period and a place.

• Like 1

Just watched the David Crosby documentary and I would really like to sit down with the other musicians he's burnt and ask them just how bad and in what way he was bad to them that could make them quit him. I mean, 45 years of talking every day, and Graham Nash stopped speaking to him completely. How does that happen? What kind of buttons do you push, and when, and why? He must be an absolute horror show in private. 

Went and saw Roadrunner at the local cineplex, first time for me going to the movies since either 1. Uncut Gems with my dad or 2. Parasite by myself (I believe the latter was it). I thought it was really good, possibly/probably not as dark as it should have been (or Tony would have preferred) however. His fallibility definitely comes into the picture, especially towards the end, and I feel in his case that he shirked his responsibilities to his kid. The suicide really opens a whole Pandora's Box of questions, as does the absence of Asia Argento. That could probably fill a second doc so I'm not surprised they didn't go there. It's still a great tribute to a great life.*

The theater experience is a wee bit different now. I had to pick out a seat off a computer screen, didn't have to wear a mask though (I'm vaccinated), and it feels a little less air conditioned than before. Popcorn and a soda was a whopping $14 so I didn't even bother. They still didn't clean up the floors, sticky as ever. Never change, The Movies.

* Another surprise is the amount of people who also didn't show for whatever reasons. No Jose Andres for example. His longtime cameraman that they went to Maine with, though they discuss him, doesn't show. It makes me feel like there is a really good Oral History here that would fill in some blanks if not gaping holes in the story. 

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

The theater experience is a wee bit different now. I had to pick out a seat off a computer screen

Is that new down there? The theatres up here have been doing that for at least 5 years, probably longer. So much better than the rush for seats and the constant negotiations of trying to get people to slide over or deciding who in the group has to sit somewhere else. I don't know where you live, but I assume theatres in major cities in the states already do this

Funnily I was gonna ask the same thing - we have nothing but pre-assigned seating around here and it has been that way for awhile pre-pandemic