DVDVR Message Board

ALL PURPOSE DOCUMENTARY THREAD

hammerva

Just watching a 2 hour documentary from Vice called Too Soon which talks about how comedy dealt with the 9/11 attacks.  Lots of stuff discussed by most people like Bill Maher,  the famous Gilbert Gottfried roast that produced the most awkward 9/11 joke and then followed up with the greatest most disgusting joke ever in the Aristocrats,  Saturday Night Live, and Letterman coming back.     Also talked about the impact in bringing the rise of the Daily Show, the beginning of Steven Colbert, and how it helped bring a rise in Middle East comedians like the Axis of Evil Comedy tour.    Also dealt some awful things like the treatment of Jeanene Garofolo by Fox News when she called out the Bush Administration and apparently one of the guys from Kids in the Hall (can't remember the name) trying to do a low brow comedy parody about terrorists days after 9/11 that absolutely failed miserably.    Many great jokes and really went through everything.  Definitely recommend

• Like 1

FYI - Alanis Morissette is not a fan of the HBO documentary "Jagged"

“i agreed to participate in a piece about the celebration of jagged little pill’s 25th anniversary, and was interviewed during a very vulnerable time (while in the midst of my third postpartum depression during lockdown). i was lulled into a false sense of security and their salacious agenda became apparent immediately upon my seeing the first cut of the film. this is when i knew our visions were in fact painfully diverged. this was not the story i agreed to tell. i sit here now experiencing the full impact of having trusted someone who did not warrant being trusted. i have chosen not to attend any event around this movie for two reasons: one is that i am on tour right now. the other is that, not unlike many “stories” and unauthorized biographies out there over the years, this one includes implications and facts that are simply not true. while there is beauty and some elements of accuracy in this/my story to be sure— i ultimately won’t be supporting someone else’s reductive take on a story much too nuanced for them to ever grasp or tell.”

• Like 1

Watched Sons of Sam over the last week or so.  This is a 4-part Netflix miniseries about Maury Terry's investigation into the Son of Sam killings in New York in the 1970s.  Terry was convinced that David Berkowitz, the convicted killer, was not the only shooter involved.  He spent the rest of his life obsessed with proving that Berkowitz was part of a Satanic cult who performed the shootings.  There's more than a little evidence to suggest that Terry was right - composite drawings that look nothing like Berkowitz, event timing that would seem to rule him out, witnesses who say he wasn't the shooter, etc.  And Berkowitz himself has said he wasn't the only one.  Terry passed away in 2015 and bequeathed all of his investigatory materials to the director of this documentary series.  Paul Giamatti acts as Terry as the narrator for the series and what's presented is pretty compelling stuff.  However, by a couple hours in, I found myself thinking that Terry had gone over the edge and become one of those guys who sees everything as confirmation of his conspiracy theories regardless of plausibility.  The series is very, very positive toward Terry's theories until the end where they tack on some stuff that strongly implies that David Berkowitz was just playing him.  It's all pretty compelling stuff even if you come away not quite sure what to think in the end.  8/10.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Britney vs. Spears

If you read the official synopsis, it is clear this is heavily pro-Britney (if they trailer didn't make that obvious) so make of that what you will

Perhaps this documentary can answer the question that's had me puzzled: If Britney has people watching her every move, etc, who is taking the pictures of her that's been posting to social media?  The stuff that's obviously taken by someone other than her?

Coming in 2022, a "three act" documentary on Kanye West, with archival and BTS footage from the last 21 years, up until his latest (failed) 2020 Presidential run. It's not clear if it's authorized by Ye, or maybe it was at one point or something, but it's made by Coodie Simmons and Chike Ozah - they directed Kanye's first music video, Through the Wire.

I'm still a Kanye stan, I can't help it.

When I was just a kid I watched the Attica movie with Samuel L. Jackson. It was pretty eye-opening. And then HBO brought us Oz...

Holy shit look at that cast. The Nazi from Falling Down as a prison guard is pretty perfect. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

Watching the EPIX NFL Icons series on Brett Favre and while most of it is stuff is things we already saw, it was hilarious showing Favre doing promotional stuff from Japan and all these stunts they had him.  I assume it was from an exhibition game.   Like throwing passes as hard as possible to hurt a receivers hand and trying to hit a moving target and knocking them out because of how hard he throw

Started watching another EPIX douc Series called Fiasco which is about the Iran-Contra Affair.  For something that was a huge story in the 80's I never really understood all the details except the "hostages for weapons" thing.   This is a very detailed account so far on how it got to this point even going back to the hostage situation in 1979 that basically created the Iran situation.  The series was made from the same people who did Slow Burn which is about Watergate.   Very recommended.

Edited by hammerva

On 10/1/2021 at 10:37 AM, RIPPA said:

Attica

Today in things that will make @J.T.'s blood boil

I saw the trailer last night while putting together a night stand for my mom.   There are no words for the rage..

Edited by J.T.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/28/2021 at 9:59 PM, Curt McGirt said:

JOY RIDE (dir. who cares, Bobcat Goldthwait and Dana Gould go on a comedy tour)

I loved this so much. I haven't laughed so hard in a long time. I rented it, then bought it right after.

Edited by Johnny Sorrow
  • Like 1

Well, I stayed up late and watched Attica last night. It said and did pretty much what it was expected to. Pretty straight through-line of the events until cycling back to describe the town and conditions, then we march forward through the finality of the events, which are so much more horrifying than I thought they could be. And in essence, who was behind all this? 

Spoiler

Richard M. Nixon. Because of course he was. 

I mean of course the brutal white power structure (with victorious cops actually shouting "White Power!") was the cause but the lack of a peaceful resolution was absolutely on his shoulders. 

So if you needed any more reason to hate him...

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2