DVDVR Message Board

2021 NFL Draft: 29 Apr - 1 May, 2021

Gonzo

I should also note that I am not saying Fields should be Top 5

But it is HIGHLY doubtful that he is falling all the way to 32 because if he gets past the Pats - someone is jumping into the back end of the first round to take him

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

When is the last time that Ohio State had a good pro QB? That has to count for something too. 

Never.  In fact, all of them threw more INTs than TDs other than Troy Smith and Kent Graham.

• Like 2

Trust me, I come here to bury Ohio State not to praise them. 

But some of the same things that can be said about Ohio State QB's can be said about Alabama QB's since...post-Richard Todd?  If we're being honest with ourselves, Alabama QB's have been equally as bad in the pros in the past 15-20...(even 40?)years or so as Ohio State QB's.  Tua may change things.  Or Tua might be the result of Alabama producing really good (if fragile) WR's.  Who can be sure?

All things being equal, you'd probably want Fields over Mac Jones based purely on athleticism.  Personally, I wouldn't be keen on taking a first round flier on either - and I'm a Raiders fan who knows all about bad first round picks.  But why Mac Jones is getting a "game manager" rap and moving up the charts while Fields has gotten...a lot of dog whistling blown his way is...curious.  Predictable, but curious.

The one thing I think Jones DOES have as an advantage over Fields - and it's the 30000 ton elephant in the room - Big 10+ football is not very good.  At all.  Locally I get the smoke blown up my butt about how Ohio State dominates the greatest football conference in the history of pigs sacrificing skins.  But the Big 10+ is really really really really bad. 

So it's possible scouts are looking at game film and realizing just how poor the level of play in the Big 10+ is and Jones is getting some credit for playing in the SEC - you'd think that might count for something.  I'm not sure if playing in the SEC should vault Jones up that high given that he didn't look like anything special to me.  But hey, what do I know?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Robert C said:

I once met Chris Simms when he was a freshman at Texas.  I was very bored waiting for my wife to get off work (she was the math tutor for the athletics dept there) so I decided to entertain myself watching a student IT person trying to explain the difference between a Mac and a PC to Simms.  It was like watching somebody explain the Schrodinger Equation to a groundhog.

CHRIS SIMMS #9!!!!! is still one of the greatest things to ever happen on this board.

Poor crazy, Rich.

• Haha 1

And here is what I wrote last year in regards to said video

There is a lot of conflating of things here

1) Jets fans ALWAYS hated the team's picks

2) The Jets had A LOT of first round picks that were busts

3) Dolfan is a Dolphins fan so he will think everything about the Jets is up for mockery.

A lot of people 1 = 2

That because the Jets fans hated the pick it was because it was a bust. Lageman get a bad rapt because of this infuriating video

ESPN made that one year for the draft and it shows you how shitty ESPN is. I mean they fucking included Freeman McNeil as a draft blunder. Arguably the greatest Jets RB and they fucking included him. But Lageman is on that video too and a lot of people then equated that with him being shit.

I am trying to remember but I think - THINK - at the time, Jets fans wanted Andre Rison. 

But to sum up - Pete is an idiot

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Rippa deciding because he likes one New York team he has to defend them all, let us have our fun.

I was also a Jets fan until I went to college and you better damn well believe I will defend Freeman McNeil until the day I die

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

It's like peeling an onion with you. ?

Just because you don't read my old stuff is not my fault

FPOTM: Freeman McNeil (You can pinpoint the exact moment I lose my mind... again... about that same fucking video)

FPOTM: Richard Todd (Barnwell actually got Deadspin to link to the article. I would rather not talk about it)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

FPOTM: Richard Todd (Barnwell actually got Deadspin to link to the article. I would rather not talk about it)

Yes, well, I cried the week after you did, so... 

I still hope John Riggins gets decapitated by a helicopter. 

If the Niners draft Mac Jones at 3, that will be one of the strangest, dumbest wastes of draft capital in recent memory.  Even if you love Mac, you objectively did not have to go up that high to get him.  Hell, you probably could’ve traded BACK from 12 and still had a reasonable shot at getting him.

The only way that trade makes any sense is if you’re trying to slam the door on the Broncos and ensure that you get whichever of Fields or Lance that you want, as those are the guys the Broncos have been attached to.

• Like 1

Really hope that the only team that needs a running back is the Steelers and we can pick up Najee Harris from Alabama.  I am not sure if he would be a damn good running back but at this rate the running backs from the Pittsburgh Panthers are better than the ones on the Steelers

• Like 1

On 4/28/2021 at 12:28 PM, EdA said:

Trust me, I come here to bury Ohio State not to praise them. 

But some of the same things that can be said about Ohio State QB's can be said about Alabama QB's since...post-Richard Todd?  If we're being honest with ourselves, Alabama QB's have been equally as bad in the pros in the past 15-20...(even 40?)years or so as Ohio State QB's.  Tua may change things.  Or Tua might be the result of Alabama producing really good (if fragile) WR's.  Who can be sure?

I think the difference there is that, outside of maybe Tua, nobody expects the Alabama quarterbacks to be any good.  People recognize that their QBs have half an hour to stand behind the line without having to move and then throw to wide open guys all the time.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1