DVDVR Message Board

2021 NFL Draft: 29 Apr - 1 May, 2021

Gonzo

On 3/22/2021 at 12:05 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

I see nothing in that announcement about Belichick's dog being in attendance.  ? 

No, but the "Inner Circle" thing is hilarious. Now I'm imagining Chris Jericho makes the Jaguars pick, completely off his tits wasted.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Kiper's latest mock has Miami moving back up to 4 to take Kyle Pitts, probably because his last column didn't get enough clicks. He handwaves away the price because he has no idea how this all works. 

His top 10:

1. JAX - Trevor Lawrence

2. NYJ - Zach Wilson

3. SF (via MIA from HOU) - Mac Jones

4. MIA (via ATL from PHI) - Kyle Pitts

5. CIN - Penei Sewell

6. ATL (via MIA from SF) - Trey Lance

7. DET - JaMarr Chase

8. CAR - DeVonta Smith

9. DEN - Micah Parsons

10. NE (Trades 2021 & 2022 1's to DAL) - Justin Fields

• Like 1

Mock drafts in general are rubbish. They are designed to get clicks and start discussion, which is fine but they can't be taken seriously. Ones with trades just makes them even less likely. They can be fun reads but I think I've read ten different mocks and they probably had the Bills picking eight different players, no one knows what zany stuff will happen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dogwelder said:

Well maybe this is why Fields is dropping in a lot of mock drafts:

Justin Fields told NFL teams he is managing epilepsy

Ugh, the stupid Patriots are going to be able to snag him at 12 and Belichick will get him to pass/run for 700 yards a game. 

Also, Schefter is saying Miami might trade down again?  

37 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Also, Schefter is saying Miami might trade down again?  

Multiple reporters are saying Miami is also looking to trade up

AGENTS OF CHAOS~!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/26/2021 at 11:10 PM, Kevin Wilson said:

I hope that is just misdirection, they say to never believe anything leaked to the media about the draft. If Simms and Mort are just guessing based on Shanahan having luck previously with white pocket passer QBs (???) and having a hot take, fine (but wrong, it doesn't work that way), but if Jones is picked before Fields and Lance that would be bananas. BANANAS. And I don't think Shanahan is that short-sighted, to pick a QB that may be better Weeks 1 to 6 and is never better again than the other options for the rest of his career.

I would like to take back this take please, I am now convinced this is really happening and have started to accept it.

• Like 1

I know this is what NFL wants and I don't care - I'm super hyped for the first round of the draft (don't care about the rest). The idea that quarterbacks could go 1-2-3-4 (if ATL trades down) is fascinating, especially if another goes in Top 10. Its just a perfect storm of what the teams high up need, the league being such a passing league these days, and there being five QBs that a team can justify somehow drafting that early. Only once have four QBs been drafted in the top ten, the "famous" 2018 class, and only once before has a QB gone 1-2-3 (in 1999, only one was good). So its not just intrigue for the night but then who the scouts are right about and who they were wrong about since the odds of all five being great are pretty low.

My only fear is that New England trades up to get Fields, then I have to root for him to be a bust and I don't want to since he seems like a nice guy. I'd rather root against Jones, never liked Alabama.

EDIT to add I see that QBs went 1-2-3 in 1971 as well and four also went in the top ten back in 1959. But its still pretty damn rare.

Just now, hammerva said:

The strange thing is that most mocks are showing Fields actually dropping so that the Patriots can get him normally.   

Or you can be a wackado like Chris Simms continues to be and have Fields fall all the way to Tampa at 32

• Haha 1

The funny thing I always felt the evaluations on Fields were significantly too high. He preyed on a Big 10 who only had 2 legitimately really good secondaries (Indiana and Northwestern, and in those 2 games he went 30-57 with 2 Touchdowns and 5 Picks), and then he had tons of prep time for the Clemson game he won’t get at the next level (And Clemsons defense wasn’t that good either). He feels like a 1 read QB to me, and I think he’s far from ready for the NFL game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Or you can be a wackado like Chris Simms continues to be and have Fields fall all the way to Tampa at 32

I once met Chris Simms when he was a freshman at Texas.  I was very bored waiting for my wife to get off work (she was the math tutor for the athletics dept there) so I decided to entertain myself watching a student IT person trying to explain the difference between a Mac and a PC to Simms.  It was like watching somebody explain the Schrodinger Equation to a groundhog.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

33 minutes ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

The funny thing I always felt the evaluations on Fields were significantly too high. He preyed on a Big 10 who only had 2 legitimately really good secondaries (Indiana and Northwestern, and in those 2 games he went 30-57 with 2 Touchdowns and 5 Picks), and then he had tons of prep time for the Clemson game he won’t get at the next level (And Clemsons defense wasn’t that good either). He feels like a 1 read QB to me, and I think he’s far from ready for the NFL game.

Several weeks ago I said on this forum that I thought Mac Jones would have a better career than Fields.  Still believe that.  I kinda feel the same way you do about Fields.

21 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

When is the last time that Ohio State had a good pro QB? That has to count for something too. 

Funnily there is a HUGE pushback this year I noticed on this type of reasoning - which obviously is correct in that each individual player is different and each situation they end up in is different. But it is difficult for folks to shake perception (like how people are convinced that despite a coin flip always being 50/50 - they assign previous results to the next flip)

That being said - I really would never ever want to draft a Running Back from Penn State.

And to answer your question - the answer is probably Tom Tupa... he just was mainly a Punter

Other than that - it was Mike Tomczak who was undrafted. I should note that only twice has OSU had a QB go in the first round in the modern era

EDIT - if you want someone who is drafted, I forgot Kent Graham and folks will understand why. Grr....

• Like 1