DVDVR Message Board

2021 HORROR MOVIES

J.T.

FEAR STREET is making me wonder if a movie can be disqualified from being scary based on aesthetics alone.

EDIT: part 2 is a lot better than part 1.

Edited by Control

7 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

I made it halfway through Fear Street Part 1. It's like someone decided to take the concept of Stranger Things, but cram as much early 90s nostalgia in it as possible and make it not good.

Understandable. I second-screened my way through it. It was such a half-assed attempt at representing the 90s—other than choosing some of the most easily identifiable songs, they did almost nothing to make the actors appear or behave as though they were teens of the era. Plus, the whole CW look of it was a big turnoff. That said, someone’s face goes through a meat cutter at the end, which at least delivered on the promised gore.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2021 at 8:09 AM, Control said:

Understandable. I second-screened my way through it. It was such a half-assed attempt at representing the 90s—other than choosing some of the most easily identifiable songs, they did almost nothing to make the actors appear or behave as though they were teens of the era. Plus, the whole CW look of it was a big turnoff. That said, someone’s face goes through a meat cutter at the end, which at least delivered on the promised gore.

That was my biggest issue with the first episode. I for sure had a few moments where I asked myself "This is supposed to be 1994, right?" just from the way they acted and other asthethic choices. The kills were fun though, especially the meat cutter. My sister and I were watching it on Skype together and both popped big for that. I also liked that they had an epi-pen/adrenaline shot sequence in a story set the same year "Pulp Fiction" came out. 

I will admit that this is the type of stuff aimed directly at me. Goosebumps was my intro to horror in 1st grade but with my "advanced reading level" I was reading Fear Street novels in 2nd grade so I have a lot of nostalgia for it as a series. 

ETA: I will 100% admit that these are pure "rip-offs" (or homages if you want to be charitable) to other, bigger and better horror films but that's kind of R.L. Stine's thing. I didn't know any different when I was first reading this stuff so I might be more forgiving than people who didn't have their formative horror upbringing shaped by Mr. Stine. Plus, I always have to rep for an Ohio boy. 

Edited by RazorbladeKiss87

2 hours ago, Control said:

Well I’ve watched all the FEAR STREETs now, and it’s very obvious that it’s a season of television masquerading as a trilogy of films. 

How was the third film?

On 7/18/2021 at 12:22 AM, Eivion said:

How was the third film?

Fine? It’s actually two films: 1666 and 1994 pt 2. Which means it doesn’t hang together very well as a film.

And if people thought 1994 was aiming too close at STRANGER THINGS, well, this won’t dissuade them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

For what specifically? 

According to his FB account, he was back doing gigs this weekend.

Saw a headline where he appeared on another podcast and the subject was about being cancelled.

Didn't have time to read the article, so I didn't click on it for the whole story.

On 7/19/2021 at 6:14 PM, Travis Sheldon said:

Saw a headline where he appeared on another podcast and the subject was about being cancelled.

Didn't have time to read the article, so I didn't click on it for the whole story.

Perhaps he told a series of distasteful jokes at the Friar’s Club, only three weeks after September 11.

26 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Countess Mircalla Karnstein

Looks like we’re gonna end up having a Catholic-themed double feature, with LEON MORIN, PRIEST and ALUCARDA, THE DAUGHTER OF DARKNESS.

• Like 2

I've been on shift every day for the past 2 weeks.  Naturally, I'm totally late to the Walten Files analog horror series, but I have been having a blast trying to figure shit out to make the days go by faster..

Even though it is cheating, here is a video of all of the entries in the proper chronological order.   They are pretty creepy and kinda NSFW.

Once you have watched them, check your notes against the analysis vid from NEXPO.

Note that one of the news broadcasts in the Walten Files is from a station called Local 57 which may be a nod to the Local 58 ARG mentioned in the analysis vid.

Edited by J.T.

Just finished watching The Autopsy of Jane Doe!  It was pretty awesome.   THE MOVIE IS SET IN VIRGINIA~!! but I don't think it was filmed here.  

Spoiler

During the autopsy, Brian Cox's character mentions something about a human trafficking gang kidnapping victims in Norfolk and at the end, the sheriff has Jane Doe shipped to VCU.  Thanks, guy..

I think that Mama was also set in the 804, but was filmed in Canada.

Edited by J.T.

Universal and Blumhouse have announced that the first of three films based on The Exorcist IP will release on October 13, 2023.

Ellen Burstyn will be playing Chris MacNeil again and Leslie Odom Jr will be playing the father of the possessed child

David Gordon Green is directing