DVDVR Message Board

2021 HORROR MOVIES

J.T.

So, looked at the thread earlier today, remembered us talking about Neon, and decided to finally check out Revenge in the Shudder queue.   

I am sad to say that I have seen my fair share of rape / revenge movies and thought this was going to be a thousand times worse since it was placed in the hands of the psychotic French.  The nationality that gave you Martyrs and À l'intérieur

It was not worse.  It was totally fucking awesome!

Edited by J.T.

14 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I thought it was alright. I skipped right over the rape scene. 

Most of the scene was either mercifully offscreen or not directly in line with the camera.   The ridiculous amount of blood loss from the heroine and the main bad guy throughout the movie just made it better.  

There was also the hilarious application of peyote = anesthetic and fire = sterile tropes.

Edited by J.T.

12 hours ago, J.T. said:

So, looked at the thread earlier today, remembered us talking about Neon, and decided to finally check out Revenge in the Shudder queue.   

I am sad to say that I have seen my fair share of rape / revenge movies and thought this was going to be a thousand times worse since it was placed in the hands of the psychotic French.  The nationality that gave you Martyrs and À l'intérieur

It was not worse.  It was totally fucking awesome!

I honestly cannot remember if I posted about this film or not.

But, my wife and I watched this one last year and it was quite decent in presentation.

15 hours ago, J.T. said:

fire = sterile

Man you should have offered a warning on that trailer, that among other things made it pretty fucking Red Band. 

It also reminded me I could probably watch that whole movie over again and have it be brand new because apparently all I remember is skipping over the rape scene

50 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Man you should have offered a warning on that trailer, that among other things made it pretty fucking Red Band. 

It also reminded me I could probably watch that whole movie over again and have it be brand new because apparently all I remember is skipping over the rape scene

I am dumb.  I did not realize it was red band until after I posted it.

15 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The Forever Purge

I am actually a little surprised it took them to the 5th movie to get to "what happens if people just keep Purging"

In that future it is Mexico that puts up the border wall and gets America to pay for it, I guess.

July 4th weekend?  I'm in.

1 minute ago, Curt McGirt said:

The Purge ending and Purgers banding together to Purge anyway sounds way too close to recent events in January. Coincidental, I know, but damn.

I am not terribly convinced that is coincidental.   The later films in the Purge franchise have tended to be very relevant to recent politics and culture and heavily criticizes ultra Conservative right wing ideology.

I think that The Forever Purge draws obvious inspiration from continuing tensions at the Tex-Mex border and might have a sprinkling of the Capital Insurrection thrown in for good measure.  I would not be surprised if there were some end credits cutscene jab where the NFFA party is finally thrown out of office and blames the loss on widespread voter fraud.

Spiral was not horrible, but it was not great either.  I think it tries to be too smart for its own good.

The ending is a bit of a clusterfuck.

Edited by J.T.

Arachnophobia has been doing the rounds on BBC America so I watched it again the other day. That is a really good movie. Bill Pullman usually puts me to sleep but he's good as a put upon doctor that small town idiots refuse to listen to just because he's smarter than them. John Goodman who is a total eccentric is the only local that comes around to him, and that is one of his great 'out-there' roles along with Walter Sobchak and Harling Mays in Flight. The regular spider stuff is perfect and the giant spider stuff is juuuuust phony enough to not totally freak me out. Thankfully it doesn't hit The Beyond territories of fakeness. 

Oh and Dr. Giggles was on last night ? I DVR'd it and then erased it, remembering just how awful it is. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

It looks like A Quiet Place Part II has figured out a way around the end of the last one 

Spoiler

It starts as a prequel then picks up at the end of the last one. Which still doesn't make any sense to me, just like the rest of the first one. If those fuckin aliens were so sensitive to sound they couldn't come near an airport much less a busy city and thus would be defeated before they could even start to take over. 

Still, I'm sure some of you will love it. It is apparently way more slam-bang though so be forewarned, you are not getting a silent movie again.

Showtime Networks has added A24's The Blackcoat's Daughter to its queue.  

If only someone would cut a deal with Neon...

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

Legendary is "remaking" -- get this -- Faces of Death

From The Reprobate: 

While the original films used the fictional figure of Dr Francis B. Gross as our jovial host, allegedly exploring the world of violent death in order to further understand humanity (or something like that), the new film throws all of that aside and instead has a female internet moderator who is employed to remove violent content from a video site – while recovering from a major trauma, because why wouldn’t you take a job looking at excessively violent content under those circumstances? – only to stumble upon a shady group who are re-enacting deaths from the original movie. But is it real or fake? Ooh, how meta!

Isa Mazzei and Daniel Goldhaber will write and direct. Audiences will probably flock to it. Legendary are probably already lining up Faces of Death Vs The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, given that they also own that property. The whole thing seems absolutely ridiculous. Can we at least demand that the female lead is named Frances B. Gross though?

The original Texas Chainsaw Massacre is on Showtime right now during daylight hours.  

If you told me back in the 80's I could watch TCM before dark on cable television, I'd have said you were nuts.

I used to hate the dinner scene when I was younger because it looked kinda dumb, but now I think I was just a stupid kid.  I did not appreciate the scene being dressed by the harrowing screams of Marilyn Burns.

The every mother fucker for themselves ending is still great.  Sally flags down the truck driver who ran over the Hitchhiker, only to abandon him when the guy in the pickup truck shows up.  She escapes in the back of the pickup truck while the truck driver flees on foot in the the other direction.

Today must be horror / thriller day because The House at the End of the Street comes on next and The Blackcoat's Daughter is on after that.   I'll keep House on for background noise while I am finishing up telework crap and then I'll finally watch Blackcoat all the way through.   Other than icky thoughts about Elisabeth Shue and Jennifer Lawrence as a mother / daughter combo, there's not much else to recommend about House at the End of the Street.

Edited by J.T.

You may want to pick up Showtime Networks in the fall.

FUCK YEAH~!

Apology accepted.  Now let's get a better ending for this series, shall we?

• Like 1

So, I watched The Blackcoat's Daughter on Saturday afternoon.  I thought it was fairly atmospheric and a bit creepy, but I think it would've been a bit better if the whole bait and switch were a bit more subtle.

Spoiler

The movie just comes out and tells you that "Joan" is Kat all grown up, so you are already expecting something bad to happen to the adults she's traveling with who just so happen to be the parents of the girl she murders as a blood sacrifice to Satan.  And this is all random as "Joan" is surprised when she discovers their identities, so it's not like she is intentionally targeting Rose's parents.  Too many coincidences for my liking.

i suppose the movie isn't trying to surprise you so much as dip into the playbook of The VVitch and tell the story of a girl who turns to Lucifer to provide protection and companionship in a lonely world, but I just think that the story would have a bit more gravitas if there had been a few more surprises.

The exorcism scene in Blackcoat is also a bit much.  It might've been nice to play the is she or isn't she game and leave it up to the audience to determine whether or not Kat is a demonic pawn or is just plain old batshit crazy, but this movie goes full blown Prince of Darkness and it feels like a missed opportunity.  I guess you could still interpret it ambiguously but the strong imagery in Acts 2 and 3 makes me put on my horror cap and once that's done, it is hard for me to back out of "Yeah, It's Satan" logic and switch over to "Well, She Might Be Crazy" mode.

For some reason, I thought it was awesome that the white cop had no problem putting a bullet in the shoulder of a psychotic Devil worshipping blonde teenage white girl armed with a knife.  In a normal horror movie, that cop would've somehow gotten his throat cut after not taking the threat seriously, so good on director Osgood Perkins for not sticking to that trope.

The ending is a nice touch.  It is the opposite of how The VVitch ends.  Poor Kat / "Joan" goes down to the furnace to find that Satan has been purged from her life and sobs because she feels lonelier than ever, despite being free of the Lucifer's dominion over her soul. Meanwhile in The VVitch, Thomasin signing the compact with the Devil and flying into the sky in the nude seems liberating at first glance, until you figure out that she has condemned herself to eternal damnation and has become a slave of evil.

Good shit all around and the cast is superb, especially Kiernan Shipka, Emma Roberts, and Lucy Boynton.

Edited by J.T.

Jerusalem's Lot is one of my favorite King stories and probably the height of his Lovecraft worship. It's a pretty short so I feel like they're going to add a bunch of padding to make it a series, but I hope it's good.

Edited by HumanChessgame
  • Like 2

Well. my daughter and I will be bouncing to see Quiet Place II on Saturday and we'll probably watch the new Conjuring joint on HBO Max on Friday night, although I am loathe to give the Warren estate any more money than I already have.

• Like 1