DVDVR Message Board

2021 HORROR MOVIES

J.T.

One of these days I will watch The Church.  It is one of those movies that gets talked up and then once I finally decide to watch it, something else pops up on my radar.

20 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Puppets? You mean the freaky-ass giant green goat? 

Reveal hidden contents

cgimonsters14_zps90fd67b2.jpg

That thing still disturbs me for some reason...

Among others,  yes.

Maybe we need a “greatest horror goat” poll: this one, Black Tom, The Beast from DAY OF THE BEAST, and the goat from DRAG ME TO HELL.

• Like 2

You mean Black Phillip, right?  Black Tom is a Marvel villain. ?

The ending of the VVitch is so fucking great!

anyway

I want to say that there was a French short horror movie about a zombie goat, but I may have been hallucinating or too trusting of my old man's memory.  We may have to expand to an entire evil livestock field to get as many nominees as possible. 

That way we can include Black Sheep, Dead Meat, Isolation, and the rest of those death on the farm movies that the UK always seems to pump out.

Edited by J.T.

Holy fuck, there was so much about Altered States that was batshit insane.  I am such a backslidden Baptist that I cannot remember if the goat beast in the hallucination comes from the book of Daniel or Revelations.

Yeah, easy nominee.  

It always makes me sad to think about the production of the movie and remember that Paddy Chayefsky and Ken Russell absolutely hated each other.

I think Ken Russell had a thing for scarring the psyches of pubescent boys.  I can't think of too many of his films that don't mix eroticism with equal parts nightmare fuel.  You're lured in by the prospect of nudity and bashed over the head with some horrific image.

Edited by J.T.

I watched The Devils again not long ago. You're not wrong, though I doubt any teenager ever went out of their way to see it. Apparently even the uncut version is still cut, I can tell exactly where, and I'm kind of glad it's still cut. 

EDIT: Boy this might be the snarkiest, most disingenuous review Ebert ever wrote. Flat-out dripping with sarcasm. https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/the-devils

EDIT II: Russell actually made this movie haha https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Kitten_for_Hitler

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Haha 1

Now watching THE SECT. First surprise is that Silvio Berlusconi is listed as a producer.

EDIT: well, that was fun. Much more of the Gilliam-esque camera and design that really comes together in CEMETERY MAN, a film I can’t believe doesn't have a special edition.

Edited by Control
  • Like 2

I was surprised to see Berlusconi listed too when I looked it up recently. Still gotta watch it.

Anywho, here's this. Willem Dafoe x Abel Ferrara = I GOTTA SEE THIS WEIRD SHIT. Rue Morgue posted it on Facebook so it's gotta be horror... right? I mean he did do The Driller Killer and The Addiction before.

• Like 1

E4 of Creepshow S2 was a bit of a step down fom S3, but it was still pretty good.  Pipe Screams was old school EC horror goodness and Within the Walls of Madness is that bit of HP Lovecraft kitsch that you didn't know you really needed.

Two more episodes to go.

Holy fuck!   Night of the Living Late Show may be the second strongest episode of Creepshow S2 behind Public Television of the DEAD~!!!!!

No spoilers but it does name drop William Gibson!

The last episode of the season had better be really good.  It has hard acts to follow.

I went ahead and knocked out Creepshow. "The Right Snuff" is probably the best episode out of either season so far. It was just note-perfect. "Within the Walls of Madness" was some fine Lovecraft. "Late Show" was a great finale too, as soon as I saw they were doing Horror Express I was tickled pink. Of course matching it up with that other classic of the public domain NOTLD was the cherry on top. I'd have to watch them back to back but this might be the better season.

• Like 1

The print of Texas Chainsaw Massacre Part 2 (1986) on Shudder looks great. 

I have to do a 180 on my previous opinion of the film. 

I had only ever seen the horrible looking VHS back in the 80s and pretty much never got on board with the film. 

Of course the Scream Factory Blu-ray is out of sight price wise. 

Here's hoping for a new 4k or a box set in the future. 

Since they pulled off the F13 miracle with that box set anything is possible. 

• Like 1

I'm sure it'll get a 4K sometime. That film has such a hardcore following that it's bound to get one. No telling the amount of gimmicks they could cram in too. 

And you really should do that 180 because the movie is AWESOME. You know it's funny, I always thought the consensus was it was a cult classic but I downloaded some old issues of Deep Red Magazine from the '80s and man, people did not like that movie when it came out. And we're talking about the serious splatter fans. Multiple people were shitting all over it right after it came out, we're talking editorial writers, fan letters, Chas. Balun himself didn't like it even. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

On 5/3/2021 at 8:56 PM, Curt McGirt said:

I went ahead and knocked out Creepshow. "The Right Snuff" is probably the best episode out of either season so far. It was just note-perfect. "Within the Walls of Madness" was some fine Lovecraft. "Late Show" was a great finale too, as soon as I saw they were doing Horror Express I was tickled pink. Of course matching it up with that other classic of the public domain NOTLD was the cherry on top. I'd have to watch them back to back but this might be the better season.

I think this is the stronger season so far, but I think that Public Television of the Dead is arguably the strongest episode of the season. 

The Right Snuff is a very close second and is probably the most EC-est episode to date.

After that goes something like Night of the Living Late Show, Sibling Rivalry, and maybe Within The Walls of Madness and Pipe Screams in some order after that.

Well, fuck.  Spiral starts this Friday in theaters only.  That's the day Mass Effect:  Legendary Edition drops, so I will probably be gaming on Friday and may catch a matinee either on Saturday or Sunday.