DVDVR Message Board

2021 HORROR MOVIES

J.T.

I'm surprised they didn't use "Born to Raise Hell". That playing while the Cenobites did the murderous power walk through the city would have been awesome and hilarious.

EDIT: Guess what? 

This version was recorded in addition to the previous recordings of "Hellraiser" and "Hell on Earth", as a last minute job to play over the end credits of the Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth film, although it didn't appear on the film's original soundtrack album.[2]

It was also in the credits of Airheads

Edited by Curt McGirt

So, I have finally checked out the Acolytes of Horror channel on YouTube and I am digging it so far.   Basically, the whole point of the channel is to explore "horrors of life" through the lens of horror movies.

I really enjoyed the analysis of cult psychology that used Midsommar as its focus.

Beware, spoilers abound in these essays.

I like how the dude points out that The Dead Don't Die isn't actually a movie about zombies.

Edited by J.T.

So my daughter and I watched both of the S2 episodes currently up for Creepshow and here are our thoughts:

Model Kid / Public Television of the DEAD~! - Tremendous first episode.  Model Kid hearkens back to classic horror comics where monsters are the deliverers of gory poetic justice and assholes get what is coming to them.  Kevin Dillon is exemplary as the dirtbag uncle. 

Public Television of the Dead is a crazy ass tribute (no spoilers) and could turn out to be the strongest segment of the current season.  We loved it!   MILLION BILLION STARS~!

Dead & Breakfast / Pesticide - I give this episode kudos for at least being somewhat thematic as there is a distinct focus on greed, but this episode is an exercise in diminishing returns when compared to E1.  Dead & Breakfast has an interesting premise but it all gets muddled in the middle.  C. Thomas Howell and Ali Larter do their best, but they don't have much to work with..  D&B is more of a series of unfortunate events than a classic EC Comics dark fable with a moral. 

Pesticide starts off strong (and has a whomp ass cameo from Hellraiser's Ashley Lawrence who is still lookin' good after all these years!) but the segment is thematically weightless and abandons its premise in favor of practical effects which nearly win my heart.  It is an amusing near-callback to the Vic Morrow episode of the Twilight Zone movie, but our protagonist isn't quite as slimy enough to really deserve what he gets and the ending is a bit confusing.   Keith David is nearly wasted in this segment.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

I watched Murder In The Woods last night. Pretty standard slasher fare, although I did like that the cast was entirely hispanic. I enjoyed it well enough but admittedly that has as much to do with my having a serious thing for Chelsea Rendon as it does for the actual quality of the movie. 

11 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Joe Bob is back on Friday, with the season premier and guest star Eli Roth. 

I can tolerate Eli Roth if he is talking about horror movies.  If he's directing them, well.......

I've had the Halloween Collection set for a while and never watched anything on it outside of 1-3 and the Rob Zombie universe films. 

Decided it was time to inflict them on my wife, who had no idea any of them existed, and watched the Thorn Trilogy and H20 over the weekend. 

The Thorn Trilogy is brought down by whatever cut of #6 that you choose. 

To waste a good character in Jamie for two, not as bad as they could have been, films to treat her to #6 is criminal. 

H20 was fine and should have been a (semi) satisfying ending to the franchise. 

I did want most of the cast to be consumed in a volcano, but it is what it is. 

Haven't shown my wife Resurrection yet, because I know it will cause cussing. 

I'm just not spiritually ready for it at the moment. 

After rewatching the Thorn Trilogy I do have a slight bit more respect for the Zombie films, as it seems he touched on so many of the themes they were going for in 4-6, but he decided to not linger in that ditch. 

• Haha 1

Bad Hair

From the people that brought you Dear White People.

Streaming on Hulu starting October 23rd.

I am digging the Us / I Got Five On It by Luniz use of a sinister version of Poison by BBD in this trailer.

Edited by J.T.

The directors of the next Scream movie confirmed to Bloody Disgusting that they filmed multiple versions of the movie to prevent spoilers from getting out.

That is in addition to having multiple versions of the screenplay

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Unfortunately they made the mistake of doing that for a Scream movie

(I'm saying this because I don't like the Scream series. I'm sure some of you care who the new Ghostface is. Maybe.)

I am gonna need to collaborate with @J.T.to figure out what the box office threshold is for Curt to hate a successful movie/franchise ?

• Haha 2

Hey now. I saw the original Scream on opening weekend, Friday night to be exact, in a theater full of fellow teenagers. It was a blast. 

But, after seeing it once, I didn't need to see it again. Its humor was cloying and seemed to be laughing at the genre instead of with it, and its photogenic cast was uninteresting. And of course it started imitators upon imitators of equally photogenic casts following threadbare plots for me to hate. 

I admit I can be an elitist fuck, but also, I was a teenager in the late '90s. If you were me you'd hate everything that came out of that era too. 

Well, I certainly didn't expect the first new Creepshow episode to open with

Spoiler

a kid's mom dying of cancer with him in her arms, supposedly asleep.

That was Not. Fair. And yeah, Kevin Dillon was fine reprising Bunny from Platoon. 

Speaking of reprises! 

Spoiler

I'll leave the main one alone because, well it's obvious enough anyway, but Ms. Bookberry reminded me of a similar character on something else who ended up breaking character and complaining about her romantic failures on air. I'm pretty sure it was a Tim and Eric skit. Anybody remember it? I think she may even be the same actress. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

E3 of S2 Creepshow is a fucking tremendous.  A total recovery from E2.  The Right Snuff was a great sci-horror throwback and everyone with a teenager should watch Sibling Rivalry with their kids..... well... maybe not the traumatizing gory parts....

Bonus awesomeness for Sibling Rivalry being directed by RUSTY MOTHER FUCKING CUNDIEFF~!!

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

Yeah I wasn't too impressed with the second episode. The lead in "Pesticide" is appropriately greasy but the hallucinatory style doesn't let you get a grasp on anything. Mr. Giant Spider will freak out all arachnophobes though, so be forewarned. Keith David ate the scenery WHOLE and spit out the bones.

EDIT: Actually you know, Mr. Giant Spider wasn't that bad because he didn't move around a whole lot. If he was crawling more than that I would have freaked too. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Yeah I wasn't too impressed with the second episode. The lead in "Pesticide" is appropriately greasy but the hallucinatory style doesn't let you get a grasp on anything. Mr. Giant Spider will freak out all arachnophobes though, so be forewarned. Keith David ate the scenery WHOLE and spit out the bones.

Yeah, so far E2 is the weakest one so far, but we're only 3 episodes in so there is no telling what else we'll get.  

E3 definitely corrects the course for this season.  So far, my favorite installments are Sibling Rivalry and Public Television of the Dead.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

OKAY NOW. "The Right Snuff" was maybe the best segment they've done so far. Not even Tales from the Crypt had the balls to actually mine the EC Sci-Fi vaults for some content and thankfully Creepshow was up to the task. This one was a ticking time bomb the whole way through and the reveal was so EC it hurts. 

Spoiler

The aliens were a little too Mars Attacks! for me but they fit the series. I think they would have been blinding lights that formed human-like outlines that spoke to the guy but that's my imagination and not theirs.

On the other hand, the vampires in "Sibling Rivalry" were great. Though digital the Fright Night reference with the mouth was welcome, and drinking the blood from the head stump was inspired. 

The other thing I liked about this was the script-flip of having the funny segment last and the serious one first for a change. If "Right Snuff" was last though, that would have been devastating. It would have made a hell of an hour Twilight Zone too. 

• Like 1