Spiral: From the Book of Saw

Run Sweetheart Run

Last Night in Soho

The Woman in the Window

10 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

New year, new thread.  

Still waiting to hear on new release dates for:

Antebellum

Antebellum was released in Sept On Demand in the states (not to mention in theaters internationally)

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Antebellum was released in Sept On Demand in the states (not to mention in theaters internationally)

It was also released on DVD on November 3rd.  

It wasn't very good.  

Spiral and Candyman are high on my radar this year.

So, I came across a Shudder coupon code and finally came around to signing up. 

My 11 year old and I watched the first episode of Creepshow, and both of us were into for different reasons. I enjoyed the first segment, and he thought it was rather pedestrian and unscary. But he really liked the second part, which I thought was super cheese and a poor attempt at finding the same kind of humorous groove set forth by the original films. 

After he went to bed I watched "Are We Not Cats". I dug it, but I would have liked to get into the grossness factor a little more. I feel like the filmmaker wanted to make a romance movie and tacked on some weird body horror elements to try to stand out, maybe? Either way, I enjoyed it for what it was. 

I look forward to digging through what they have to offer. Any absolute must-sees?

Movie wise, I'd definitely recommend Host, Impetigore, Horror Noire (a tremendous documentary on the role of African Americans in the Horror genre), Train To Busan, and The Color Out of Space.

Out of the series, I really liked A Discovery of Witches, deadwax, James Cameron's History of Sci-Fi, and (believe it or not) Eli Roth's History of Horror.

I'd have to look through the rest of my Watched List to see what else I'd add to that list.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

I'd also keep on with Creepshow, some episodes are better than others and you may have different reactions than I did. 

Don't forget that Joe Bob Briggs has his show on there and is still entertaining, though you may want to FF through his opening rants until he gets to the banter with the Mail Lady and the film trivia. 

I'd have more recommends but I actually haven't been on there in awhile and the version on Prime is a pain to find stuff on. It's pretty much three listings that you have to cycle through endlessly to find something. 

• Like 2

I'd like to elaborate about the Prime setup some more. There are three lines of films and series

1. Line of new material leading into older material

2. "Thrillers"

3. Everything they have period, including "thrillers"

So if you want something that isn't new you basically have to cycle and cycle through ONE endless series of entries. And you can't type anything in. 

ARGH

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Haha 1

According to NME, NBCUniversal has announced that seven of their classic monster films including 1931’s Dracula and 1931’s The Mummy will be streaming for free on the company’s YouTube channel Fear: The Home of Horror. Each movie will be available for viewing for a week, starting on Friday, January 15, 2021. In addition, during each film’s premiere week, the selected films will also be made available for digital purchase at a discounted price.

Available on January 15, 2021 (8pm GMT)

Dracula (1931)

The Mummy (1932)

Available on January 16, 2021 (8pm GMT)

Frankenstein (1931)

Bride Of Frankenstein (1935)

Available on January 17, 2021 (8pm GMT)

The Invisible Man (1933)

The Wolf Man (1941)

Abbott And Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948)

21 hours ago, driver said:

Giving The Pale Door a go. Witches and outlaws in the old west can't be a bad mix, can it?

I keep eyeballing that one and can't convince myself to pull the trigger.  I really should check it out and finally sit through 3 From Hell.

Hereditary FINALLY debuted on premium cable this weekend.  It's on Showtime Networks along with the better films of the A24 creepy catalogue.  This makes me think that Midsommar might eventually show up on SHO sooner or later.

Finally got through Hereditary earlier today. I'm not surprised why I had such a hard time before, considering this thing is long as shit, and also makes you feel like you got hit in the head with a brick a quarter way through. The feeling of grief is real, and deep. I questioned the motives at the beginning but the end made me believe it. Good movie. 

13 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Finally got through Hereditary earlier today. I'm not surprised why I had such a hard time before, considering this thing is long as shit, and also makes you feel like you got hit in the head with a brick a quarter way through. The feeling of grief is real, and deep. I questioned the motives at the beginning but the end made me believe it. Good movie. 

Yeah, it's great.  It is fascinating to watch the family slowly disintegrate before your eyes. 

Even when the preternatural elements begin to kick into overdrive, it still has the feel of a psychological thriller about a dysfunctional family that is incapable of processing grief.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

RAT TRAIN (AKA RAT DISASTER) (dir. Zhenzhao Lin)

Coming out when and where, who knows

ASH AND BONE (dir. Harley Wallen)

In post-production

Both of these look terrible and also fun for totally different reasons. The director of the latter said “I wanted to make a film in the style of the mid-2000 horror films such as House of Wax, The Hills Have Eyes and Texas Chainsaw Massacre,” so I suppose it will end up as "good" as those. And what can you say about fucking Rat Train?! Just watch that trailer, man...

EDIT: Also, A24's Saint Maud is getting its theater release the 29th and EPIX picked it up for Pay TV on February 12th. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

On 1/16/2021 at 9:07 PM, Curt McGirt said:

It had better be good for a Nic Cage movie where he has no dialogue.

I just watched Color Out of Space and I'm still trying to figure out what I just saw. He was really good.

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2021 at 7:35 AM, RIPPA said:

Escape Room 2 now has a release date of January 7, 2022

Aside from being my late father's birthday, the 7th falls on a Monday next year.  That date sounds more like a DVD or Streaming release than it does a theatrical release.

6 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Aside from being my late father's birthday, the 7th falls on a Monday next year.  That date sounds more like a DVD or Streaming release than it does a theatrical release.

Jan 7, 2022 is a Friday. Feb and March 7 2022 are both Mondays