DVDVR Message Board

2021 NFL OFFSEASON

RIPPA

Seems really weird to me that reworking a contract to be longer but not really longer we're only going to use a year of it, is even allowed. That's getting into that weird NHL "Chris Pronger still has years left on his contract but is retired and working for the NHL" territory.

• Like 2

I'm happy Cam's getting another shot, as terrifying as it is to think he could realize the potential of being part of the Patriot Empire. He deserved better than he got at Carolina and dude had absolute dogshit options for skill position players in 2020. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Seems really weird to me that reworking a contract to be longer but not really longer we're only going to use a year of it, is even allowed. That's getting into that weird NHL "Chris Pronger still has years left on his contract but is retired and working for the NHL" territory.

I so do not understand automatically voidable years in a contract. It just feels like blatantly circumventing the cap.

• Like 2

Keep in mind that Cam's contract quickly becomes "backup money" if he isn't starting, so it doesn't necessarily mean the Patriots have given up on getting a different player as a starter. The base value is only $5 million. I imagine they'd prefer that Stidham out-play him in preseason but that seems unlikely at this point since they never gave Stidham a good look last year as the starter even after their season was over.

20 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

BTW as was pointed out on Twitter, Brady is the first quarterback to re-sign with Tampa *in franchise history*.

... whoa. That's fucking crazy. I just did the most basic of Google searches which didn't help much, but I'm struggling to think of an NFL team that would have NEVER had a QB re-sign with them even if the new contract didn't work out. BORTLES~ got a new deal in Jacksonville even! Horseballs Derek Anderson got one in Cleveland! Sanchez for the Jets! I'm just going through potential players for shitty teams who had some success and considering the Bucs have a considerably longer franchise history than some I'm seeing (Houston [Watson], Cleveland, Jacksonville) that's an absolutely nutso statistic.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2021/03/13/packers-free-more-cap-space-by-restructuring-billy-turners-contract/

Also, it's hard to not jerk it so hard I start a fire through friction, but the Packers are doing what I thought was a longshot: dropping a couple of players (and losing our Center was no joke) but the others reworked their contracts to get us out of cap hell which prevents any free agent flirtation. Aaron Jones can go. He's awesome but we can't afford him for what he'll command. I was worried that the defense would fall apart but Preston Smith and Adrian Amos are locked in now! 

In this particular story's case, Billy Turner was incredible the last two seasons, 2020 especially after playing across the entire offensive line and doing so to great effect. This is getting into me going all Saint Aaron Mark but it's a relief to see so many big names who recognize their position and how it's hard to find a better contender on the free market. It's a team that wants to WIN over getting paid, LET'S GOOOOOOOO

Edited by Sex Machine Gun

1 hour ago, Lawful Metal said:

Maybe we trade Tunsil for 2 firsts and a second rounder to some sucker team ...

No team could ever be dumb enough to give up that much for a tackle, even a superstar tackle. Just not possible.

• Haha 3

It is the kind of thing that flies under the radar since they aren't "big" signings but the Bills managed to re-sign all three of their best UFAs (Milano, Mongo, and Williams), all signing for below what their market value was seen to be so they would fit under the cap. Probably the first offseason in 25 years that the Bills' have players that are willing to take a little less to stay instead of the Bills over-paying to get free agents to come.

Course, they had to cut John Brown to get it done but a lot of teams are making these types of sacrifices, that's what happens when the cap is 20 million less than it would have been without the pandemic. What can ya do.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

It is the kind of thing that flies under the radar since they aren't "big" signings but the Bills managed to re-sign all three of their best UFAs (Milano, Mongo, and Williams), all signing for below what their market value was seen to be so they would fit under the cap. Probably the first offseason in 25 years that the Bills' have players that are willing to take a little less to stay instead of the Bills over-paying to get free agents to come.

Course, they had to cut John Brown to get it done but a lot of teams are making these types of sacrifices, that's what happens when the cap is 20 million less than it would have been without the pandemic. What can ya do.

Gabriel Davis performance last year made it easier to cut Brown too. Too bad, but the signings have been great.

• Like 1