DVDVR Message Board

2021 NFL OFFSEASON

RIPPA

Other potential rule changes being discussed (who knows if they will even get to the vote stage)

- Making Roughing the Passer reviewable

- Returning regular season OT to sudden death

And this OT change being proposed by the Ravens

Per multiple sources with knowledge of the situation, the Ravens will be proposing a pair of overtime procedures premised on the concept of “spot and choose.”

It works like this: One team picks the spot of the ball to start overtime, and the other team chooses whether to play offense or defense.

If the one team picks, for example, the offense’s own 20 yard line, the opponent would then choose whether to play offense from their own 20 or to play defense, with the other team having the ball on its own 20. This would minimize greatly the impact of the coin toss; under this proposal, the coin toss would be used only to give the team that wins the toss the right to pick the spot of the ball (along with the end zone to be defended) or to choose offense or defense.

Under one of the two proposals to be made by the Ravens, overtime would proceed in sudden-death fashion, with the first score by either team ending the game and up to 10 minutes of extra time. (If the game remains tied at that point, the game’s outcome would be a tie.) Under the other proposal (favored, we’re told, by Patriots coach Bill Belichick), the game would continue for another seven minutes and 30 seconds, without a sudden-death component. Whoever leads after the extra time has ended would be the winner. (Again, if the game remains tied after the extra session, the game’s outcome would be a tie.)

As one source involved in the development of the proposal pointed out to PFT, it actually traces to an idea articulated in 2003 by our own Michael David Smith, who at the time wrote for FootballOutsiders.com.

It’s believed that the break-even point would be the 13 yard line. For the 14 or beyond, the team choosing offense or defense will be more likely to take the ball. For the 12 or closer, the team choosing offense or defense will be more likely to opt to defend. Obviously, however, the final decision will hinge on a variety of factors, regarding offensive and defensive personnel, weather conditions, range and accuracy of the kickers on both teams, etc.

Regardless, the “spot and choose” approach replaces chance with strategy. One team picks where the first drive in overtime begins, and the other team picks whether it will take the ball or give the ball to the other team. It’s a fascinating wrinkle that would truly revolutionize overtime and — more importantly — make it fair to both teams.

1 hour ago, dogwelder said:

That proposed OT rule by the Ravens seems like it would drive casual fans away out of confusion.

And hardcore fans away out of rage, or at least we'd bitch about it a lot. Go back to sudden death, KISS.

• Like 1

The 7 minute 30 second idea seems like something a lot of coaches will screw up clock management wise so I'm all for it. The Ravens idea is dumb and at the next owners meeting the owner with the strongest arm should be allowed to throw stale bagels at the Ravens owner for even suggesting it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Death From Above said:

CFL does it from the 35 and it's absolutely great.

That works.  My objection to the 25 is that you're already in easy FG range.  Back 'em up just a bit.

38 minutes ago, Tabe said:

I want the college rule but not starting at the 25.  Make it the 35 or 40.

I personally would move it to the 50 but I never got the hatred of the college overtime.   Yeah it creates really dumb scores like 46-40 at times but that would get removed moving back farther

Apparently the Steelers are going to sign Big Ben.  I guess they really had no choice in the matter unless they trade up in the draft

1 minute ago, hammerva said:

I personally would move it to the 50 but I never got the hatred of the college overtime.   Yeah it creates really dumb scores like 46-40 at times but that would get removed moving back farther

I have two main complaints: 1) As mentioned, I hate that you start in FG range, though obviously 42-43 yard FGs are a lot less certain in college than the NFL where they're basically automatic; 2) This is kinda dumb but I have always hated that stats in OT count the same as regulation.  Game is 21-21 at the end of regulation, ends up 64-62 or something and the quarterbacks end with 8 TD passes.  It's just dumb.

1 minute ago, Tabe said:

2) This is kinda dumb but I have always hated that stats in OT count the same as regulation.  Game is 21-21 at the end of regulation, ends up 64-62 or something and the quarterbacks end with 8 TD passes.  It's just dumb.

Do you feel same about OT stats in basketball or extra innings in baseball?

22 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Do you feel same about OT stats in basketball or extra innings in baseball?

With baseball now starting with guys on 2B, I'm not crazy about their OT stats counting.  I would feel more strongly if they started on 3B.

No on basketball because you don't start artificially closer to scoring - it's just 5 more minutes of the exact same thing as before unlike CFB.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Death From Above said:

My favourite is how in the NHL overtime stats count but shootout stats don't count even though they still count for the standings. Just great, brilliant stuff.

Don't they weirdly add 1 goal to the winning shootout team's season totals? Downgoesbrown does a "true gf/ga +/-" in his columns because of something that that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Any overtime format which changes the rules and/or procedures from the way its played in regular game is illegitimate in my eyes, including NCAA football. The less said about the MLB bullshit, the better.

• Like 1