DVDVR Message Board

2021 NFL OFFSEASON

RIPPA

Jerseys with numbers in the single digits can be worn by defensive backs, linebackers, running backs, fullbacks, tight ends, H-backs and wide receivers. Defensive backs and linebackers could wear any number from 1 to 49, while running backs, fullbacks, tight ends, H-backs and wide receivers can all wear 1 to 49 and 80 to 89.

Quarterbacks, punters and kickers will still be required to wear numbers 1 to 19, linemen will still wear 50 to 79, and defensive linemen and linebackers could also wear 90 to 99.

The NFL approved the expanded jersey number rules (see above).

Expect many dudes to change numbers this offseason

I get recievers and RB's.  I can even get behind DB's (specifically Corners) wearing single digits because a lot do in College.

Why the hell do  LB's want numbers in the signle digits?

Other rule changes that were approved

- OT eliminated for preseason games

- Replay official can now help on-field officials "specific, objective aspects of a play when clear and obvious video evidence is present and/or to address game administration issues.” Specifics not provided beyond that. Appears to be a compromise between those who wanted Sky Judge and those that didn't

- Eliminate the double forward pass (ie: QB tries pass, it gets batted back, QB catches it and throws it again). There is now a loss of down if that happens

- Clarifying what happens if they are penalties on two consecutive point after tries (this one hurts the brain)

40 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Why the hell do  LB's want numbers in the signle digits?

Same reason they do in college.  Means you're a star. 

No one will look to see what 57 is doing on defense, but if they see he's wearing a 5 or 7, you think "that's unusual" and your eyes are drawn there. 

On 4/21/2021 at 12:25 PM, RIPPA said:

The NFL approved the expanded jersey number rules (see above).

Expect many dudes to change numbers this offseason

Depends. Apparently if a player wants to change numbers they have to buy out the stock of unsold jerseys with their current number at full retail price. Could turn a lot of players off of the idea.

I thought that Dalvin Cook might switch his number (he was #4 at Florida State), but apparently he's sticking with 33. Florio at PFT cited that as part of the reason and said it would probably cost him around $1.5 million. Justin Jefferson has also said that he's sticking with #18 rather than switching to 2.

The guys that are getting drafted next week, on the other hand, can start out with single digits or whatever number they want.

Edited by Gonzo

17 hours ago, Gonzo said:

Depends. Apparently if a player wants to change numbers they have to buy out the stock of unsold jerseys with their current number at full retail price. Could turn a lot of players off of the idea.

I thought that Dalvin Cook might switch his number (he was #4 at Florida State), but apparently he's sticking with 33. Florio at PFT cited that as part of the reason and said it would probably cost him around $1.5 million. Justin Jefferson has also said that he's sticking with #18 rather than switching to 2.

The guys that are getting drafted next week, on the other hand, can start out with single digits or whatever number they want.

For this year I am assuming it'll mostly be rookies, as you said, and players that the NFL doesn't really sell a lot of jerseys for (if any) like backup LBs that want to use their college number. I don't think any of the big stars will change unless their college number really means that much to them.

Patrick Peterson - for all intents and purposes - is the first player to take advantage of the new jersey number rule as he will wear #7 with the Vikings (He wore 7 while at LSU)

Since he was a FA who signed with Minnesota last month - he has no obligation to buy the stock of old Cardinals jerseys

Backup QB Nate Stanley had been wearing 7. Peterson will buy new shoulder pads for Stanley's old high school as compensation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Backup QB Nate Stanley had been wearing 7. Peterson will buy new shoulder pads for Stanley's old high school as compensation.

I like this one.  Much cooler than a Rolex or something like that.

• Like 3

Miami is trading OT Ereck Flowers to the WFT.  The deal includes late round pick swaps and clears out about $8m of cap room for Miami.  

They announced that Robert Hunt is getting moved to RT and they'll fill in the guard spot via FA.  So it definitely sounds like they're still aiming for a pass catcher with their first pick. 

9 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Miami is trading OT Ereck Flowers to the WFT.  The deal includes late round pick swaps and clears out about $8m of cap room for Miami.  

Oh yeah - I am gonna have to compose myself before my 11:30

So.... much... laughter

• Like 1

The Panthers being so hell bent on getting rid of Bridgewater (they are still paying seven mil of his contract even after the trade) is interesting to me. They went out and signed him to a nice-sized contract just last offseason, his #1 weapon missed most of the season and he didn't play overly poorly (not great, but not a disaster), and they couldn't wait to replace him. I'd say there is something else afoot but by all accounts Bridgewater is a stand-up guy so its all just a bit weird.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

Boy they are really hoping Sam Darnold sucked because of their coach.  Either that or they are hoping Will Grier dramatically improves

Or they're taking Fields at 8.  

• Like 1

Could be something, could be nothing, but the word around the campfire is the Patsies are working with SF to give Jimmy G a new deal so they can trade for him. 

I will not be okay with Brady having actually been the reason NE was good this whole time. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Reigning MVP Aaron Rodgers is so disgruntled with the Green Bay Packers that he has told some within the organization that he does not want to return to the team, league and team sources told ESPN on Thursday.

The Packers are aware of his feelings, concerned about them and have had team president Mark Murphy, general manager Brian Gutekunst and head coach Matt LaFleur each fly out on separate trips to meet with Rodgers at various points this offseason, sources told ESPN.

"As we've stated since the season ended, we are committed to Aaron in 2021 and beyond," Gutekunst told ESPN. "Aaron has been a vital part of our success and we look forward to competing for another championship with him leading our team."

Rodgers has not budged this offseason, but neither have the Packers, who have made it known they are not interested in trading Rodgers anywhere.

The San Francisco 49ers called the Packers on Wednesday night, a source told ESPN, and the Los Angeles Rams inquired about Rodgers in January before they traded for Matthew Stafford.

The Packers quickly dismissed the Rams' overtures, the source said.

The Packers have offered to extend Rodgers' contract, sources told ESPN.

Rodgers is unhappy for a variety of reasons, with some of it dating back to last year's draft when the Packers didn't inform him before trading up to draft a quarterback with their first-round pick. Some took this as a sign that his days in Green Bay could he numbered.

He also is at a different point in his personal life, having recently gotten engaged to actress Shailene Woodley. Rodgers also has hosted "Jeopardy!" and said it would be a dream to become the full-time host. He could play football and also host "Jeopardy!"

Rodgers has made cryptic comments about his future in Green Bay, but he has told others that he does not want to return.

On draft night, the Packers' biggest issue isn't who they land, but whether they can keep the three-time NFL MVP.

There has never been an NFL player to be traded after winning the MVP award in the previous season. The only MVPs to not return to their team in the season after winning the award were Norm Van Brocklin (retired after winning in 1960) and Jim Brown (retired after winning in 1965).

Rodgers' contract contained a $6.8 million roster bonus due in March. It could have been converted into a signing bonus that would have freed up more than $4.5 million in salary-cap space for this season but instead it "vested as scheduled," a source told ESPN at the time. It's listed as an automatic conversion in Rodgers' contract, but even that has to be signed off on by both parties. It's not known if the Packers tried to convert and Rodgers refused to sign off on it, or if they did not attempt a conversion.

That Schefter's full story