DVDVR Message Board

2021 NFL OFFSEASON

RIPPA

Per ESPN, NFL has sent a memo to teams informing them that all support personnel must get vaccinated (exceptions made for bonafide medical or religious reasons) or they can't work around players or be part of relaxed protocols.  

They previously said choosing not to be vaccinated would not cost personnel their jobs, but I assume not being able to work around players would limit one's ability to do his/her job.

Decent start, though I can't think of a good reason not to make vaccinations mandatory for players, except that the league is afraid of the NFLPA.

• Like 2

lol I'll guarantee they're not afraid.  But doing something like a vaccine mandate  is something (barring a miracle) that will have to go through collective bargaining.  

Opening up collective bargaining opens all kinds of problems like "oh did they just unilaterally approve a 17th game?" or "boy there really aren't any kind of well defined disciplinary guidelines, are there?" 

It's that  and whatever other unrelated negotiations come up, is what I'm sure the NFL wants to avoid if at all possible. 

• Like 1

On 4/13/2021 at 8:48 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Opening up collective bargaining opens all kinds of problems like "oh did they just unilaterally approve a 17th game?" 

Point of order - the players agreed to it in the last CBA (signed last year right before the pandemic started)

It gave the owners the option to add the 17th game at any time (starting with the 2021).

Dee Smith stated that the 17th game was the starting point of negotiations with the NFL (https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/02/27/nfl-cba-17-game-season-likely)

So Aaron Rodgers and Richard Sherman types can bitch all the want but if it was a deal breaker for the NFL - then those players needed to accept that rejecting a deal means that a strike/lockout was happening.

Basically - it is an issue that the players need to reconcile with their leadership but the NFL was completely in its right to go to 17th game because the players gave them that right.

17 hours ago, cubbymark said:

Patriot stans are Twitter are trying to talk up Edelman for the HOF. He’s not even the best slot WR to play for the Patriots in the Belichick era. Wes Welker says hello. 

But Wes Walker "dropped" an inaccurate pass from Tom Brady so that means he's worse than Edelman! 

On 4/15/2021 at 8:50 AM, cubbymark said:

Patriot stans are Twitter are trying to talk up Edelman for the HOF. He’s not even the best slot WR to play for the Patriots in the Belichick era. Wes Welker says hello. 

Yeah, I love Edelman but the Welker bashing and revisionism I've seen is just embarrassing for all concerned.  Welker was preposterously productive for the Patriots.

I honestly like how the Steelers do it, even if it would endlessly frustrate me as a knee-jerk reaction fan. NFL coaches really do need at least several years to even start evaluating their ability unless it's an individual who alienates the organisation like an Adam Gase.

Edited by Sex Machine Gun
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, Sex Machine Gun said:

I honestly like how the Steelers do it, even if it would endlessly frustrate me as a knee-jerk reaction fan. NFL coaches really do need at least several years to even start evaluating their ability unless it's an individual who alienates the organisation like an Adam Gase.

As a Steeler fan I'm fine with Tomlin's extension, Ben will either retire or be put on a raft and floated down the Ohio River after next season, that gives Tomlin two seasons post Ben to re-tool. With the injures on the defense and no running game, it was obvious they weren't going deep into the playoffs.

• Like 1