DVDVR Message Board

2021 NFL OFFSEASON

RIPPA

Right before the Dolphins GM decided to play the speedrun of Madden off-season, a little bit of news:

The Bucs re-signed Leonard Fournette.  It's the first time in the salary cap era to return all 22 starters from the Super Bowl winning team.

• Like 1

I hope that is just misdirection, they say to never believe anything leaked to the media about the draft. If Simms and Mort are just guessing based on Shanahan having luck previously with white pocket passer QBs (???) and having a hot take, fine (but wrong, it doesn't work that way), but if Jones is picked before Fields and Lance that would be bananas. BANANAS. And I don't think Shanahan is that short-sighted, to pick a QB that may be better Weeks 1 to 6 and is never better again than the other options for the rest of his career.

The 17th game will become official this week

The 16th game was introduced since 1978 so this is the longest the NFL has gone without changing their schedule

This year's matchups will be

The "international game" aspect of it is reported to begin in 2022

To clear up the part Maske says about home games and conferences. An entire conference will get the extra home game each year (see above how the entire AFC gets the home game). So, theoretically, all teams in each conference are on equal footing. (So you avoid, say, the Eagles bitching they only got 8 homes games while the Cowboys got 9)

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The 17th game will become official this week

The 16th game was introduced since 1978 so this is the longest the NFL has gone without changing their schedule

This year's matchups will be

The Jets and Bears will leave the 16 game era as the only teams without having a QB throw for 4000 yards in a season

Ironically for the Jets, Joe Namath was the first QB to ever throw for 4000 in a season and the only one to do it in a 14 game season

The Bills have sold the naming rights to their stadium, it will be known as Highmark Blue Cross/Blue Shield Stadium (or just Highmark Stadium).

(Or, "We're Not Covering Your Surgery, Grandma" Stadium.)

• Haha 4

I wish they would have just made it 18, added a bye week, and taken away another pre-season game. 17 games just feels weird and makes everything uneven, no major sport has an odd number of games that I am aware of for a reason. I also hope that teams one day are more willing to normalize giving a player a day off if they are in rough shape, I know that goes against the NFL Code with how few games they have but there certainly have been times that a team could have yanked a player to give them a break and it not impact their season standings.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I wish they would have just made it 18, added a bye week, and taken away another pre-season game. 17 games just feels weird and makes everything uneven, no major sport has an odd number of games that I am aware of for a reason. 

Liga MX runs half seasons where their teams play an odd number of games every half season. They do end up playing each team in the league once home and away every calendar year. 

23 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I wish they would have just made it 18, added a bye week, and taken away another pre-season game. 17 games just feels weird and makes everything uneven, no major sport has an odd number of games that I am aware of for a reason. I also hope that teams one day are more willing to normalize giving a player a day off if they are in rough shape, I know that goes against the NFL Code with how few games they have but there certainly have been times that a team could have yanked a player to give them a break and it not impact their season standings.

The problem with resting players (or load management as its always called in the NBA) is it screws the fans attending the games in person.

This is especially the case in the NFL where there are so few home games a season, not to mention how infrequently teams can visit other teams.

Like one of the proposals kicked around for a 18 game season is the whole players only play 16 games. So they would definitely miss two.

Now imagine you live in Jacksonville but wanna see Aaron Rodgers in person. In the history of the Jags franchise, Green Bay has played in Jacksonville a total of 4 times (and this is over 25 years).

So you assume - Green Bay is going to pick that game as one of the one Rodgers misses (out of conference game to minimize effect on tiebreaker, weaker opponent that theoretically you can beat without Rodgers). But of course, the Packers aren't going to announce that ahead of time.

If I am that fan who paid like a trillion dollars to go to the game because you wanted to see Rodgers (and because the NFL gameday experience is stupidly expensive)... yeah, I am never watching again. (Especially if it is maybe the like one game a year I can afford to go to)

Now leagues are somewhat okay with dicking their fans over but even still they really try to keep it subtle

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The problem with resting players (or load management as its always called in the NBA) is it screws the fans attending the games in person.

This is especially the case in the NFL where there are so few home games a season, not to mention how infrequently teams can visit other teams.

Like one of the proposals kicked around for a 18 game season is the whole players only play 16 games. So they would definitely miss two.

Now imagine you live in Jacksonville but wanna see Aaron Rodgers in person. In the history of the Jags franchise, Green Bay has played in Jacksonville a total of 4 times (and this is over 25 years).

So you assume - Green Bay is going to pick that game as one of the one Rodgers misses (out of conference game to minimize effect on tiebreaker, weaker opponent that theoretically you can beat without Rodgers). But of course, the Packers aren't going to announce that ahead of time.

If I am that fan who paid like a trillion dollars to go to the game because you wanted to see Rodgers (and because the NFL gameday experience is stupidly expensive)... yeah, I am never watching again. (Especially if it is maybe the like one game a year I can afford to go to)

Now leagues are somewhat okay with dicking their fans over but even still they really try to keep it subtle

To be honest I'm not really imagining star QBs skipping entire games unless there is a legitimate injury issue, that wouldn't be realistic and they'd pitch a fit anyway. No one in attendance would care if most of the players took a day off to heal up a nagging injury as there are very few players that fans "go to see" so to speak, and I doubt anyone would swear off the NFL because a player they wanted to see wasn't playing for a game. That sounds more like something that would be complained about on twitter and then they'd still watch the next week.

I mean it already happens now with star players of playoff teams resting Week 17, while fans are assholes most still understand the physical toll that football takes. Hell Bills fans were clamoring for Edmunds and Milano to take games off last year when they were clearly playing hurt and impacting their play, not everyone is completely bloodthirsty ?  But that is why I said it would have to be normalized, at first some fans would look at it funny but it happens in every other sport and I think NFL fans would adapt.

The NFL’s gambling partners wouldn’t be too happy with star players skipping games under those circumstances. There’s a big difference for gamblers and the betting lines knowing Aaron Rodgers is going to play vs Jordan Love. 

• Like 1