DVDVR Message Board

2021 Marvel Comics Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

Bleeding Cool seems to think the Beyond tag is a reference to the Beyond Corporation from Nextwave and Mighty Avengers and that there will be a rotating creative team with the writers being Kelly Thompson, Saladin Ahmed, Cody Ziglar, Patrick Gleason, and Zeb Wells

• Thanks 1

Man, all the bombshells the last 2 weeks in the X-Books... It's gonna be a shame when it all comes crashing down and reset when Hickman is done

James

Edited by J.H.

1 hour ago, dogwelder said:

Bleeding Cool seems to think the Beyond tag is a reference to the Beyond Corporation from Nextwave and Mighty Avengers and that there will be a rotating creative team with the writers being Kelly Thompson, Saladin Ahmed, Cody Ziglar, Patrick Gleason, and Zeb Wells

Cheers. I've only read a little of Saladin Ahmed and Patrick Gleason liking what I have. Didn't expect this direction.

6 hours ago, J.H. said:

Man, all the bombshells the last 2 weeks in the X-Books... It's gonna be a shame when it all comes crashing down and reset when Hickman is done

James

I've been moderately surprised how disliked the Hichman stuff has been in certain online circles.  But then, online Fandom...

8 hours ago, The Natural said:

BEYOND-Teaser-02.jpg

BEYOND-Teaser-04.jpg

More Spider-Man Beyond teases. Unexpected direction. Ben Reilly as Spider-Man!

i'm trying to imagine the fan reaction if Ben Reilly & Mary Jane get together. 

i would consider picking this up, but ASM will be published three times a month, which is just way too much for me to jump into. Very interested tho.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

I've been moderately surprised how disliked the Hichman stuff has been in certain online circles.  But then, online Fandom...

Man I'm an old school Claremontite and have enjoyed the hell out of it. I think this is the best its been since Claremont's original run!

James

• Like 2

Dark Ages is out of continuity but they're marketing it as real Marvel, so probably expect more books later on like DC's Injustice and Dceased. It seems 20th century to up technology and stuff related to electricity won't work anymore in this new universe.

13 hours ago, D.Z said:

Guessing this takes us to The Amazing Spider-Man #900 with Peter Market's return as Spider-Man marking his 60th anniversary next year.

13 hours ago, twiztor said:

i'm trying to imagine the fan reaction if Ben Reilly & Mary Jane get together. 

i would consider picking this up, but ASM will be published three times a month, which is just way too much for me to jump into. Very interested tho.

I thought of you when the news came out as fellow Ben Reilly fanboys. Yeah, the thrice monthly schedule is a put off for me as well. I started reading comic books runs in real time thanks to my LCS opening in 2014: The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 3), (Vol. 4) when I dropped the book - should have in Vol. 3, both are terrible by Dan Slott and (Vol. 5) by Nick Spencer. I got used to two issues a month but I've never experienced three. Wish it was just the one or two.

Edited by The Natural

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

I got used to two issues a month but I've never experienced three. Wish it was just the one or two.

two issues a month is perfect IMO. i don't follow many books, so the extra cost is negligible. but it really keeps me invested and makes the story feel like it's moving at a quicker pace than most other books. i'll give it a month or two and see how i'm liking it and then maybe jump on. 

• Like 1

asm_beyond_fcbd.jpg

BEYOND-Teaser-04.jpg

BEYOND-Teaser-05.jpg

I grew up on Peter Parker and Ben Reilly as Spider-Man. The 1990s Clone Saga were the first Spider-Man comics I read. A most infamous period in Spider-Man history. When Reilly was killed, people wanted him back and there were teases that it might including in the Scarlet Spider series with Kaine Parker as the titular character but it didn't come to pass till The Clone Conspiracy by Dan Slott and Peter A David's Ben Reilly: The Scarlet Spider. I really hated both seeing Reilly as a villain, I'd honestly have preferred him to stay dead. the amount of dead/revivals he's had. Spider-Geddon offered a brief panel explanation that Ben's factory reset to where he was before, I welcomed that.

Now in unexpected news, Ben Reilly is Spider-Man again in Spider-Man Beyond. I like the new costume but wish it had some more callbacks to his original Spider-Man suit. That's one of the best Spider-Man costumes, I'd say the same about his original Scarlet Spider suit. Like what I've seen of the new costume. I do wish Reilly was wearing the webshooters on the outside though, that's a trademark of the character.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

X Factor 10 spoilers: 

Spoiler

Someone murdered Wanda.  Since the upcoming mini is called Trial of Magneto, i guess he's framed for the crime.  Doubt he's the actual murderer.

A little disappointed.  Some of the other theories were wilder, and this most certainly won't stick.  Of course, I'll be surprised if anything from the Hickman era sticks since the likely endgame is "everything becomes a mess.  Moira reset undoes everything."  In any case, the murder was teased as a game changer and this just feels like another superhero death story where the deus ex machina twist is already waiting in the wings.

Some people thought the murder victim was Krakoa itself (via Mystique in some fashion).

Edited by Eoae

If this were the mid-80s I know I'd ant Claremont to write Spidey because he had a knack for the character. I'd be interested to see if someone like Hickman could scale himself back to do a Marvel street level character like Spidey

James

1 hour ago, J.H. said:

I'd be interested to see if someone like Hickman could scale himself back to do a Marvel street level character like Spidey

James

I think he could, but I don't think it would play to his strengths so I'm a little skeptical the results would be what we'd hope for.  IMO, Hickman's best at visualizing the big picture and juggling a lot of moving pieces (so to speak). 

3 hours ago, Eoae said:

X Factor 10 spoilers: 

Hide contents

Someone murdered Wanda.  Since the upcoming mini is called Trial of Magneto, i guess he's framed for the crime.  Doubt he's the actual murderer.

A little disappointed.  Some of the other theories were wilder, and this most certainly won't stick.  Of course, I'll be surprised if anything from the Hickman era sticks since the likely endgame is "everything becomes a mess.  Moira reset undoes everything."  In any case, the murder was teased as a game changer and this just feels like another superhero death story where the deus ex machina twist is already waiting in the wings.

Some people thought the murder victim was Krakoa itself (via Mystique in some fashion).

This was expected.

Spoiler

Its almost certainly about returning Wanda to being a mutant. That was a change no on wanted and has pissed off many for a while now. Beyond that Hickman had been blatantly building something with her coming with her being pushed as a monster to Krakoans. I wouldn't be shocked if the word Reed said to Xavier were the beginning of building blocks to undoing that moronic change with Franklin as well.

I think more ends up sticking from the Hickman than people think. The Arrako mutants and terraforming of Mars in particular seems like a move that will likely continue even after its all said and done.

@Eivion

I was coming here to post your "Almost certainly about" too, because I think that's what's happening as well.

I really like the X-Factor writing and I really liked how well the writer looped in things that happened throughout the night into her issue, so I'm happy to see her move on to the Trial of Magneto.

• Like 1

A reminder that 

Spoiler

Wanda

is not the only death of the Hellfire Gala.

Spoiler

Scout/fka Honey Badger/Gabby Kinney

is apparently dead as well.

That being said, I'm gonna miss X-Factor. It, along with Marauders, was my favorite Krakoa books.

Edited by Ace
  • Sad 1

On 6/19/2021 at 5:03 AM, The Natural said:

This is what I said about Nick Spencer's The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 5) run to mark 50 issues in October 2020. I'll have to do an updated version when the run ends:

Nick Spencer’s Spider-Man - The Good.

• The Superior Foes of Spider-Man is one of the best and most unique Spider-Man stories ever. TSFOSM is the funniest comic book I’ve ever read. TSFOSM places in my top ten of fifty Spider-Man stories.
  • Nick Spencer gets the voices right of the characters particularly Peter Parker, Mary Jane Watson, Black Cat and Norman Osborn. Peter Parker’s inner narration is a frequent highlight.
  • Nick Spencer fixing Dan Slott’s fouls: Peter Parker and Mary Jane Watson are back together, Spider-Man is competent and redeeming Black Cat. Big plus points for Spencer.
  • Great stories in Back to Basics from TASM (Vol. 5) #1-5. Sins Rising/The Return of Norman Osborn from TASM (Vol. 5) #44-49 and Heist in TASM (Vol. 5) #7-9.
  • Genuine surprises along the way: The aforementioned reuniting of Peter and MJ. The bandaged character who debuted in TASM (Vol. 5) #1 speculating the character’s identity. Took a while for us to even find the actual name, Kindred as revealed in TASM (Vol. 5) #24. The Sin-Eater brought back.
  • The book is funny.
  • References to The Superior Foes of Spider-Man written by Nick Spencer. That’s a fantastic book. I welcomed the returns of the creative team behind it, Spencer/Steve Lieber/Rachelle Rosenberg in TASM (Vol. 5) #6-7.
  • Good one and done issues in TASM (Vol. 5) #24, #25 and #37.

Nick Spencer’s Spider-Man - The Bad

• 2099 sucked. This arc was a real disappointment. There’s barely any Spider-Man 2099, he appears and then quickly disappears. Too much things going on. Patrick Gleason deserved better for his first arc on the book.
  • Hunted was poorly paced. The main arc in TASM would be better served by shortening it to four issues, 6 in total counting the Road to and Epilogue instead of the eight we got.
  • Only half of the TASM (Vol. 5) HU issues were worth reading. TASM (Vol. 5) #16.HU on Black Cat and TASM (Vol. 5) #18.HU about the Gibbon.
  • Rotating door of artists. Shame Ryan Ottley, Patrick Gleason and Humberto Ramos though he’s hit and miss aren’t on the book more.

My updated thoughts on Nick Spencer's The Amazing Spider-Man:

• Nick got the voices particularly Peter, MJ, Norman, Kingpin and Black Cat. That's the biggest strength of the run. Spencer fixed Black Cat from Dan Slott so that's another plus.
  • Back to Basics, Heist, the Gibbon story in Hunter and Sins Rising/The Return of Norman Osborn are the standout stories. Sins Rising/The Return of Norman Osborn was the last story I'd call truly great.
  • First half of the run is better than the second.
  • Pacing problems. OMD teases and Last Remains are key examples of that. Still waiting on answers.
  • The events. Hunted and Last Remains had their moments. 2099 was truly terrible. The Chameleon Conspiracy just finished was a dud.
  • The build with Kindred was memorable unlike the payoff so far. Last Remains had potential to be a classic but came nowhere near.
  • Too many supplementary issues: Hunted, Last Remains had added extra tie-im issues to go with what was happening in ASM. Don't forget King's Ransom and Chameleon Conspiracy getting extra large issues away from the flagship book. Sinister War is also getting the latter treatment.
Edited by The Natural