DVDVR Message Board

2021 Marvel Comics Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

On 3/30/2021 at 6:07 PM, Matt D said:

Chip Zdarsky's current Daredevil run is just excellent. I'm playing catch up on it right now and I'm onto issue 19. It's really good at balancing Matt so he makes mistakes, learns from them, but ultimately is sympathetic, but more than that, it has a lot of moments of inversion where you're expecting things to go one way but they twist the other instead. I would easily put it up there with the seminal 2000s runs.

Chip Zdarsky's Daredevil run really is for those reasons. I see Zdarsky's name on a Marvel book, I'll give it a go for what he's done on Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man, Spider-Man: Life Story and Daredevil. I adore Finale from Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man #310. We both do.

Edited by The Natural

2 hours ago, J.H. said:

JRJ was so out of place as a DC artist. His style was so not what I think of for a main DC book. Marvel is really his fit.

James

I liked JRJR art for the opening arc of Scott Snyder's All Star Batman and particularly Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns: The Last Crusade. You're right that he's better suited to Marvel. When I think of JRJR, it's him on art during JMS' Amazing Spider-Man run from 2001-2007.

7 hours ago, D.Z said:

smlifestoryann2021001_cov.jpeg

Same Writer and Artist as last time.

Need to re-read Life Story at some point. Really liked most of Life Story as it came out, particularly the last issue and thinking it would read better in trades. Life Story is written by Chip Zdarsky, drawn by Mark Bagley and this Life Story Annual will focus on J. Jonah Jameson. I want Daredevil to get the Life Story six issue treatment by Chip Zdarsky.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

King in Black 5 spoilers

Spoiler

Captain Universe powered Venom killed Knull (with unified Silver Surfer board and Thor's Hammer into battle axe)and is the new king of Symbiotes.

Also Flash Thompson is alive again.

18 minutes ago, twiztor said:

i say this as someone who loves the X-Men, has loved Hickman's run, and really liked X of Swords: There's too many damn X-Titles. 

I’m not reading Wolverine or X-Force and I’m ok with that. 

I'm only reading books Hickman actually scripts, so it doesn't bother me, but, yeah, there seems to be an overwhelming number of X books at the moment.  It's probably been worse, though, and honestly, I was spending a lot more on the X line several years ago when Gillen, Carey, Bendis, Remender, etc. were all on X titles in roughly the same time frame (i don't think they were all writing X titles at the same time, but it was the same several-year period and there was a decent bit of overlap).

The Amazing Fantasy announcement made me think of this...

hqdefault.jpg

Pardon me friend, could you spare a little something to help a fellow American that's down on his luck?

NANRyM6pmAVeF7NVeabzhi-1024-80.jpg.webp

James

Edited by J.H.