DVDVR Message Board

2021 Marvel Comics Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

5 hours ago, D.Z said:

DEENDERS_2021_TeaserImage.jpg?fit=bounds

wait, what?

the Masked Raider from Marvil #1000 hasn't been seen in over a year, but he's going to show up here? in a random issue of Defenders?  if this is their endgame forthe new character, my interest drops to zero.

Defenders new monthly series, covid screwed up stuff and planning..the delayed The Marvels and some other books are finally coming out that were stopped.

He is most likely part of the team.

Edited by D.Z

9 hours ago, D.Z said:

gargalreveal-3.jpg

Can someone ID the members of the third team for me (on the right)?  I don't recognize anyone.  From the press info, I'm assuming one of them is Quasar.  Is the green guy Drax?  Not even a guess about the others.

Also, what's the name of the female character behind Dr. Doom.  I remember Moondragon was dating a female Captain Marvel in the Lanning/Abnett GoG series, so I assume that's her.  Phyla-Vell?

(The Abnett/Lanning run is the last time I actually read GoG, so I'm way out of the loop on the team.)

30 minutes ago, Eoae said:

(The Abnett/Lanning run is the last time I actually read GoG, so I'm way out of the loop on the team.)

I've got you beat, as I haven't read Guardians since it was Vance Astro and his buddies in the thirtieth century.

That being said - is it obvious to everybody else why DR DOOM would be on this team? Or any team, for that matter.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, D.Z said:

gargalreveal-3.jpg

I like the lineup and how big it is. Really happy to see Nova and Quasar involved. Only wish Darkhawk was as well. Considering the size and how they are spread it seems safe to say the group will be split up in those three units usually. I'm ok with that. The Guardians were always a team that should be large considering the area they cover. 

14 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

I've got you beat, as I haven't read Guardians since it was Vance Astro and his buddies in the thirtieth century.

You really should check out Annihilation and the general cosmic stuff Giffen & DnA setup back in the mid 2000s.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2021 at 7:56 PM, twiztor said:

Thanks for asking, @The Natural. I'm moving this convo from the DC thread...

Oh man, Nat, you have no idea how good of timing you have. I literally JUST read a couple Spidey stories on my lunch break. ASM #121-122.......The Night Gwen Stacy Died. Before we get there, let me backtrack for a minute.

i've been reading 1-2 comics a day. took a couple sidetracks when stories intersected with Spidey (the first dozen or so issues of Daredevil, Astonishing Tales #1&2 [KaZar/Kraven story], some Marvel Team-Up where Spidey or his villains were involved, that sort of thing). I'm really digging this journey a lot. I was surprised at how hot-tempered Pete can be early on, especially while dealing with Flash. Ditto the times he gets all jealous and emotional when he thinks he'll lose Gwen to Flash (or anybody else). Mary Jane as a side character and party girl that's always around is also something i didn't expect. The stories have mostly been solid and really do feel like they build on each other. He never beats a villain the same way twice, and that actually gets referenced as history. Fascinating read for late 60s/early 70s cape comics.

THIS particular storyline has been amazing. From the way Green Goblin has been treated so far, to Harry's drug trip making it seem like he'd be the one to die, to Pete constantly getting sidetracked before he can get back to Gwen, was note perfect. The death is shocking (or would have been at the time, obviously in 2021 not so much...) and you can really feel Pete's emotions coming out. I had no idea Goblin died here, or that his death in the first Tobey Maguire movie was ripped straight off this page. And that epilogue with MJ is SO DAMN PERFECT. all the feels.  Sidnote, I didn't realize it happened so soon (basically immediately!) after Stan Lee was off the book- curious if there's more to that story.

If i wasn't in this for the long haul before now, i certainly would be now.

Hello, @twiztor. That was great timing, mate! The Night Gwen Stacy Died is a classic Spider-Man story (for a long time it was my #1 Spider-Man story but Amazing Fantasy bumped it down to #2) and a classic story in all of comics. No wonder the original Gwen Stacy was never brought back, it was the story to go out on. I feel the same way about Norman Osborn/the Green Goblin. I feel Gerry Conway's Spider-Man run is a tad underrated with the shadow of The Night Gwen Stacy Died and the Original Clone saga looming over it. Conway also co-created the Punisher and the Jackal in his time in the book. Glad you're enjoying the deep dive into Spider-Man!

Edited by The Natural
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Justin877 said:

I know Gerry Conway most definitely.  Currently it has me wanting to read more of the 70's era Spiderman.  Man-Wolf is currently my favorite Spidey villain.

Cheers. If you want to read more Spider-Man from the 1970s, read Gerry Conway's full run on The Amazing Spider-Man.

Buscema is starting to get into his stride on Conan, although I sometimes feel like his Conan looks too old. I felt the same way about Buscema's Wolverine, who looked ancient when he drew him in Marvel Comics Present and the solo title. I wasn't aware of the backlash over Buscema taking over from Smith. For a guy who is largely accepted as the definitive Conan penciller, he wasn't well received in the beginning. Roy Thomas even addressed it the letters page, giving a lengthy response to a fan who complained bitterly about the change. 

Micronauts kind of fell off a cliff. Apparently, there was some type of conflict between Shooter, Mantlo and Golden over whether Micronauts should be set in the Marvel Universe. Golden lost interest in the book when Shooter and Mantlo got their wish and had Marvel characters appear. The book lost some of its intrigue after that, though I didn't mind the Man-Thing appearance, and Man-Thing is a title I have been struggling to get through. It's really hard to get into a book where the main character can't think or feel. Gerber's satire does nothing for me at this point, and I honestly wish the book was a creepy gothic horror like the Man Thing story in Savage Tales. I guess I wish it was Swamp Thing.

Speaking of Gerber, am I a philistine or is Howard the Duck not very funny?

Gerber's stuff, overall, hasn't aged well to the point of it being so over the top at times that just reading a simple 1 issue Conway Spidey story is a perfect pallette cleanser. I think Starlin's stuff holds up better compared to Gerber

Edited by J.H.
  • Like 1

Marvel is reviving the Infinite Destinies event that was supposed to happen in 2020 annuals. So Iron Man, Captain America and Black Cat annuals while the other 5 books that were planned are still scrapped, only 3 annuals are easier to collect so whatevero.

Edited by D.Z