DVDVR Message Board

2021 DC Comics Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

• 2 weeks later...

Grant Morrison on Superman and how people have made him and his analogues into authoritarian characters lately:

"I think the idea that Superman would react to the death of Lois Lane by becoming a tyrant is ridiculous; my mum and dad died and I didn't become a tyrant. If I can handle it, Superman can handle it."

Whole interview is good.

https://www.cbr.com/superman-and-the-authority-grant-morrison-interview/

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Matt D said:

Grant Morrison on Superman and how people have made him and his analogues into authoritarian characters lately:

"I think the idea that Superman would react to the death of Lois Lane by becoming a tyrant is ridiculous; my mum and dad died and I didn't become a tyrant. If I can handle it, Superman can handle it."

Whole interview is good.

https://www.cbr.com/superman-and-the-authority-grant-morrison-interview/

Cheers for this, @Matt D. Well said, Grant Morrison. I love Grant Morrison. As does @Brian Fowler and @twiztor.

• Like 1

It's been my main gripe with all the praise heaped on the comic adaptation of Injustice, nothing about it rings true to me. It is also one of my major gripes with Kingdom Come. Clark doesn't stop being Superman because of one personal loss and he certainly wouldn't become a fascist that imprisons people without the due course of law. 

James

• Like 1

Personally, Superman's heel turn in Injustice made a lot of sense to me.  Lois' death could be looked at as the straw that broke the camel's back.  He would have figured out at a young age that he can save almost anyone, but not save everyone.  At any given minute, someone somewhere is dying or in a life-threatening situation.   Every minute that Clark spends sleeping, or eating, or fighting a space monster is a minute he could be somewhere else in the world saving someone.  I imagine living with that knowledge for a few decades would be rather stressful.

That said, if I was writing Superman, I'd go at it from the angle that living with that responsibility makes Clark one of the least likely people to suffer a mental breakdown.  He would have had to get used to that idea early in his career.  I like Injustice and Kingdom Come as what-if stories, but, really, I'd prefer more stories about super-boy scout Clark Kent than grimdark ruler of a dystopian future Clark.  

It's hard to find fresh angles in comics these days.  Almost everything has been done already (with the iconic characters, anyway).

Looking forward to Superman and the Authority quite a bit.  First book in a while that I've really gotten excited about.

Edited by Eoae
  • Like 1

I will say I liked what I have read of Injustice. Tom Taylor is also one of my favourite writers. Superman is seen as the standard to aspire to: See All Star Superman when he's dying and "What's So Funny About Truth, Justice and the American Way?" in Action Comics #775 turned into the animated adaptation, Superman vs. The Elite. That's why it's something when he goes against that as seen in Injustice.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Holy shit! I love Batman: The Long Halloween. The only Batman book I have ahead of it is Batman: Year One. This will be a must by. Tagging @Brian Fowler as he'll want to know about this.

Tim Sale art?

Sold

• Like 2

So after a sort of promising start for at least some of Infinite Frontier, I'm just not reading any of it. I might hit the main book when it comes out and stumble about with Batman but no combo of premise + creative team felt can't miss. Ah well.

13 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

I liked when this was an action show on FOX. Was cancelled way too soon. 

Mark Valley was basically the Angel of Death in the 2000's.  He mostly got work on low-rated shows and got regular gigs on several shows that were canceled shortly thereafter.  Keen Eddie, Body of Proof, Harry's Law, etc. Read an interview with him and he talked about how he was signed on with a couple of other shows for guest shots and the producers liked him enough to offer him a spot in the main cast next season - only for the show to promptly get canceled before the next season.  He almost became a regular on Swingtown and a Teri Polo sitcom whose name escapes me.  He also supposedly starred in more unsold pilots than is the norm (no idea what the norm for that sort of thing is).

He claimed there was a plan to bring him back on Fringe - his character died in the pilot - but his quickie marriage and quicker divorce to Anna Torv supposedly scuttled that.

Edited by Eoae

3 hours ago, Eoae said:

Mark Valley was basically the Angel of Death in the 2000's.  He mostly got work on low-rated shows and got regular gigs on several shows that were canceled shortly thereafter.  Keen Eddie, Body of Proof, Harry's Law, etc. Read an interview with him and he talked about how he was signed on with a couple of other shows for guest shots and the producers liked him enough to offer him a spot in the main cast next season - only for the show to promptly get canceled before the next season.  He almost became a regular on Swingtown and a Teri Polo sitcom whose name escapes me.  He also supposedly starred in more unsold pilots than is the norm (no idea what the norm for that sort of thing is).

He claimed there was a plan to bring him back on Fringe - his character died in the pilot - but his quickie marriage and quicker divorce to Anna Torv supposedly scuttled that.

I liked Mark Valley. Always thought it was a shame that nothing he did seemed to get a decent run.

9 hours ago, Eoae said:

I remember Mark was on Days of Our Lives for a while and then did pretty good on Boston Legal but other than that he was the kiss of death.  Poor guy had horrible luck. 

Infinite Frontier 2

Spoiler

They didn't reset Flashpoint Batman's history but his personality, along with Magog's of Kingdom Come. I wonder if Psycho Pirate is resetting personalities multiverse wise or something else has done it.

The Captain Atom in book isn't from Earth 0, but from some other unknown earth. The Earth 0 Captain Atom is still dead or missing, he died in Death Metal.

The JSA missing several members may have something to do with them being from Earth 2 originally.

Edited by D.Z