DVDVR Message Board

2021 DC Comics Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

I can't think of an artist whose level of quality has been maintained at such a high level for such an extended period like Perez. Not even all of Kirby's work holds up in later part of his career but George Perez... just amazing, consistently amazing!

James

• Like 3

I made it to the end of the first arc of John Ostrander & Tom Mandrake's Spectre. I know I've read this series before, but I can't recall if I made it through to the very end. It was so long ago that it feels like I'm reading it again for the first time. I don't entirely love the first arc, but the last three issues are some of the most intense stuff I've read in a while. I guess I had completely forgotten the details of the story because the finale hit me like a ton of bricks and the last panel is flat out amazing. It's a really grim and gritty 90s comic, but the storytelling is uncompromising, especially for a non-Vertigo book.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ohtani's jacket said:

I made it to the end of the first arc of John Ostrander & Tom Mandrake's Spectre. I know I've read this series before, but I can't recall if I made it through to the very end. It was so long ago that it feels like I'm reading it again for the first time. I don't entirely love the first arc, but the last three issues are some of the most intense stuff I've read in a while. I guess I had completely forgotten the details of the story because the finale hit me like a ton of bricks and the last panel is flat out amazing. It's a really grim and gritty 90s comic, but the storytelling is uncompromising, especially for a non-Vertigo book.

I think it would have suffered from the Vertigo wall if it hadn’t been a DCU book. We would have lost the Eclipso stuff. 

Earth 8 the Marvel satire Earth is now somewhat destroyed, with their own Falcon like probably replacing their own dead Captain America homage. I expect that Earth to become more like ANAD Marvel and more serious. Considering homages of derivatives is more murky grey era.

Marvel only got away with the Squadron Supreme due to the statute of limitations.

I remember Rob Liefield getting sued by Marvel for wanting to use certain Cap America elements.

Been catching up on Detective Comics the past week. Hadn't read any of Tamaki's run before now since i was missing the first issue for some odd reason. Up to #1044 now. Its kind of odd. I find Tamaki to have the most solid writing in a while in terms of pacing and build, but I also find she hasn't really managed to create a truly interesting story yet in her run. Worth and Vile are just not particularly noteworthy villains, and so much of it is about them. The actual stuff about Gotham and its government is oddly more interesting to me. The best character she has so far is the new reporter, Deb Donovan. I do wish the new living arrangements she set up for Bruce lasted longer. The tunnels and apartment felt like they had decent potential. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Eivion said:

Been catching up on Detective Comics the past week. Hadn't read any of Tamaki's run before now since i was missing the first issue for some odd reason. Up to #1044 now. Its kind of odd. I find Tamaki to have the most solid writing in a while in terms of pacing and build, but I also find she hasn't really managed to create a truly interesting story yet in her run. Worth and Vile are just not particularly noteworthy villains, and so much of it is about them. The actual stuff about Gotham and its government is oddly more interesting to me. The best character she has so far is the new reporter, Deb Donovan. I do wish the new living arrangements she set up for Bruce lasted longer. The tunnels and apartment felt like they had decent potential. 

I've liked the little I've read of Detective Comics by Mariko Tamaki.

batman-118-1280414.jpeg?auto=webp&width=

Speaking of runs, Joshua Williamson's Batman run has started with Batman #118. I'd recommend it and for how it uses things from Grant Morrison's epic Batman run (2006-2013). @Brian Fowler be pleased.

Edited by The Natural

I finished reading Planetary, which is very good, excellent even, and the ends. Although, I believe there were delays in real time. I've been looking for something to sink my teeth into. I started reading Fables and Saga. Both are in the world building stage. Fables has a stronger hook given it uses famous fairy tale characters. I'm not how I feel about Saga yet. It's strange reading fantasy characters that speak and act like contemporary adults, but that is very much Vaughan's style. 

Does anyone have recommendations for a binge-worthy book? 

On 12/17/2021 at 9:47 AM, D.Z said:

Bendis is leaving JL.

Lex will run Batman Inc and is wearing the Batman Symbol and colors on his armor.

The GL corps seems to be coming back, but John still doesn't need the ring or lantern.

Expected.

Spoiler

As alluded to in the beginning, you can't simply un-Guardian somebody.

Read Joker Vol. 1 a couple of days ago. Generally speaking I've enjoyed Batman and the general world of Gotham despite complaints over the recent years, but this felt like the best thing I've read in years from there. I love that despite the name its actually Gordon's story focused on his relationship with the Joker, his views on morality, himself, and the world. I'm also digging how the chase, mystery, and thriller aspects all come together so far. Really hope this doesn't drop in quality whenever Tynion leaves.

• Like 2