DVDVR Message Board

2021 DC Comics Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

10 hours ago, The Natural said:

Sounds good, cheers. Nightwing: Year One, yeah?

seconded on the recommendation. originally published in Nightwing, vol. 2 #101-106 IIRC but would be way easier to find in trade format. very solid read, probably my favorite storyline of any Nightwing series.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, twiztor said:

seconded on the recommendation. originally published in Nightwing, vol. 2 #101-106 IIRC but would be way easier to find in trade format. very solid read, probably my favorite storyline of any Nightwing series.

Cheers, @twiztor!

On 4/2/2021 at 11:03 PM, The Natural said:

What did you think to Nightwing #78, @twiztor? Hope it hit the spot, mate!

ok, it took another week, but i finally hit up my comic shop and picked up Nightwing #78. They had almost given up on me- wondered if i had dropped off after the Ric bullshit. 

this was awesome. highlighting Dick's compulsion to jump in for the underdog is a fantastic start. Blockbuster being involved (again) doesn't do much for me, but i don't have a problem with it either, as they explain it pretty well and it makes sense. i will reserve judgment on the introduction of Tony Zucco's daughter (curiously, this is Melinda, not to be confused with Sonia, who debuted in the Black Mirror). If this Babs is a costar or recurring guest, that's a huge plus for me. The dog is fantastic. Alfred's letter to Dick was everything.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, twiztor said:

ok, it took another week, but i finally hit up my comic shop and picked up Nightwing #78. They had almost given up on me- wondered if i had dropped off after the Ric bullshit. 

this was awesome. highlighting Dick's compulsion to jump in for the underdog is a fantastic start. Blockbuster being involved (again) doesn't do much for me, but i don't have a problem with it either, as they explain it pretty well and it makes sense. i will reserve judgment on the introduction of Tony Zucco's daughter (curiously, this is Melinda, not to be confused with Sonia, who debuted in the Black Mirror). If this Babs is a costar or recurring guest, that's a huge plus for me. The dog is fantastic. Alfred's letter to Dick was everything.

Thrilled you really enjoyed Nightwing #78 friend knowing your affection for Nightwing and how you persevered through the Ric debacle. Respect, my friend!

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

I finally read the latest Flash. I didn't love it, but we'll see where it's at in a few issues. Ollie had one of the all time stupid lines asking Wally why he couldn't have told them that he was having issues before Sanctuary, which was literally a place to go when you were having issues.

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

I finally read the latest Flash. I didn't love it, but we'll see where it's at in a few issues. Ollie had one of the all time stupid lines asking Wally why he couldn't have told them that he was having issues before Sanctuary, which was literally a place to go when you were having issues.

Ollie's rage at Wally feels simultaneously realistic and manufactured.

Read Doomsday Clock Part 2 earlier in the week. Thought it was a good conclusion to the story and would have been a great ending for Rebirth had it come out on time and not had Snyder's work happening at the same time. Really wish we could have gotten the DCU it was setting up in the finale. Would have been a nice return to pre-Flashpoint.

• Like 2

Taking the one on the Spider-Man board applying it to Batman.

Writer:
Paul Dini. Love him to get a run on the flagship Batman book.
Chip Zdarsky is a favourite of mine thanks to his work on Spider-Man, Daredevil and now Batman.
Tom Taylor.
Sean Murphy but I think he'll stick to White Knight.

Artists:
Dustin Nguyen
Otto Schmidt.
Lee Weeks.
Sean Murphy.
Jorge Fornes.
Alex Maleev.

New Shazam limited series spinning off from TTA

image001-1.jpgimage003-4-1.jpg

"Billy Batson came to Titans Academy looking for answers, but so far has kept his Shazam! identity a secret from his new classmates. Why was the rest of his adopted family cut off from the power of Shazam!? Why are his own powers becoming increasingly unreliable? What has happened to the Rock of Eternity, where is the Wizard, and who can help Billy get his powers back to normal before these mysterious events turn into a full-blown crisis?

The answers send Billy on an outrageous adventure that'll not only change him…but have an immense impact on the school and other students on Titans Island!"

Edited by D.Z

8 hours ago, D.Z said:

I'd be interested in both. Prefer the JLU one as it's JLU but mainly for the writer, JM DeMatteis.

• Like 1

I finished James Robinson's Starman today. I started off unsure whether I liked the main character and Robinson's dialogue and wound up heavily invested in the relationship between Jack, his father and brother, and the rest of the supporting cast. It was definitely a comic book for folks who grew up reading comic books, but it had plenty of heart. I was really impressed by the overall structure of the series and how all of the pieces fit. Robinson wasn't the first British writer to take DC property and reinvent it, but the way he built a mythos behind Starman was impressive. I'd definitely rank the series alongside any other series of its ilk, and I'll probably check out the spinoff titles at some point, but for now, I want to reflect on the journey. Starman is one of those books where there's a lot of foreshadowing and it's clear that things have been carefully planned in advance, but it's the emotional core of the book that truly matters. I feel like that was something that grew as the series developed. It went from being a book about collectibles, pop culture references, and comic book history callbacks, to a series about friendship, and family, and relationships, and children, and the sacrifices that heroes and their loved ones make, and mortality and death, and legacies and memories, and so many grand concepts. It was a heck of a book and a testament to Robinson's imagination. 

• Thanks 1