DVDVR Message Board

2021 DC Comics Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

While Wally has both of his career and personal life restored... 

Spoiler

Heroes in crisis still existed. Ollie doesn't seem to like Wally anymore for accidentally killing Roy and the others (who is alive again but nobody knows that yet)

Edited by D.Z

Finally started reading Doomsday Clock. Had been waiting for Part 1 to arrive at the library for me for nearly. Finished it up earlier today. Its interesting so far. Seeing Johns write in Moore's style feels a little weird, but he acclimates as the book goes on and he is able to apply the style more to what he knows in the DC universe. I'm enjoying his new Rorschach. Johns builds a nice history up for him and he feels at home in the Watchmen universe. Conversely while I think Marionette and Mime are well done they feel more DCU than Watchmen. Honestly, I kind of wonder what their point is as they feel rather unnecessary aside from the initial get Veidt and Rorschach to the DCU. I do like Veidt. I like his desperation to be the hero again. I also like how his choices and feelings on Bruce and Lex speak to what kind of person Veidt is. The Superman Theory stuff is kind of neat, but also fees a bit like bs to arrive this late on with how many metas existed before Clark ever hit Earth. On the other hand it sort of makes sense with JSA being out of continuity at the time. It does feel weird to see a theory so focused on blaming the US government while ignoring Russia and China's own efforts to create meta-human weapons. Overall this is a solid-good first half. Looking forward to finishing up the rest whenever Part 2 arrives. Hopefully it won't be nearly as long a wait.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Eivion said:

Finally started reading Doomsday Clock. Had been waiting for Part 1 to arrive at the library for me for nearly. Finished it up earlier today. Its interesting so far. Seeing Johns write in Moore's style feels a little weird, but he acclimates as the book goes on, and he is applying the style more to what he knows in the DC universe. I'm enjoying his new Rorschach. Johns builds a nice history up for him and he feels at home in the Watchmen universe. Conversely while I think Marionette and Mime are well done they feel more DCU than Watchmen. Honestly, I kind of wonder what their point is as they feel rather unnecessary aside from the initial get Veidt and Rorschach to the DCU. I do like Veidt. I like his desperation to be the hero again. I also like how his choices and feelings on Bruce and Lex speak to what kind of person Veidt is. The Superman Theory stuff is kind of neat, but also fees a bit like bs to arrive this late on with how many metas existed before Clark ever hit Earth. On the other hand it sort of makes sense with JSA being out of continuity at the time. It does feel weird to see a theory so focused on blaming the US government while ignoring Russia and China's own efforts to create meta-human weapons. Overall this is a solid-good first half. Looking forward to finishing up the rest whenever Part 2 arrives. Hopefully it won't be nearly as long a wait.

I got the Doomsday Clock issues in real time from Narrow Escape Comics. I read the first half but with the constant delays, decided to get the rest and then read it all. Still haven't but I will at some point. Thanks for your review.

Top three writers you think of when Batman is brought up. Mine...

Writers:

1. Grant Morrison. LOVE Morrision's 2006-2013 run on Batman. Best comic book run ever. Batman of Zur-en-Arrh, Dick Grayson's Batman with Damian Wayne's Robin. Simon Hurt and Professor Pyg.

2. Dennis O'Neil. Introduced key elements in Ra's al Ghul, daughter Talia, League of Assassins, Arkham Asylum, Leslie Thompkins and Crime Alley.

3. Paul Dini. Success across various formats: comic books, the legendary Batman: The Animated Series and video games shows his versatility.

Honourable mention to Frank Miller. Miller wrote the best ever Batman story in Batman: Year One and The Dark Knight Returns is in my top five but All Star Batman and Robin the Boy Wonder with The Dark Knight Strikes Again taints his CV.

On 3/29/2021 at 4:56 PM, D.Z said:

Aquaman will get a new title, with his dead son alive too.

I would be even happier if they bought back both Junior and Koryak but I think he has been retconed out of existence. Also bring back my beloved Tusky!

Read Tynion's Joker War. Enjoyed it a good deal. Feels like the best writing of Joker in a while. I dug the aspect of Joker aiming for the way the Bruce views the city and wants it to be viewed. It was a nice attack on Bruce's ideals. Thought the ending of the big climax was good as well and a neat change in Bruce. I do wish the Batfamily was more involved though I assume their big stuff was supposed to be occurring in their owns books. It felt weird seeing Harley have a bigger role than any of them yet also kind of right due to it being the Joker and a change needing to happen. Didn't care too much for Punchline. There are some aspects to her that are interesting, but she feels a it forced and a bit too cliché with her being too dumb to actually understand how Joker works. Also can't help but feel she walks into territory already semi-covered with Anarchy. I'd rather seen a new version modernized than Punchline. Also kind of iffy on Clownhunter though I suppose I will have to see how he truly develops. I do think writers keep trying too hard to add to the Batfamily instead of working with what is there. It kind of annoys me because those pet characters usually aren't anywhere near as interesting as the writers think they are. I don't give a damn about Signal and question constantly why he is around whenever I see him. There are more than enough partners already around to give some focus to. Anyways the epilogue did a decent job in setting up things to come. Good read overall.

On 3/27/2021 at 10:31 PM, D.Z said:

While Wally has both of his career and personal life restored... 

Hide contents

Heroes in crisis still existed. Ollie doesn't seem to like Wally anymore for accidentally killing Roy and the others (who is alive again but nobody knows that yet)

My head hurts.

10 hours ago, The Natural said:

What did you think to Nightwing #78, @twiztor? Hope it hit the spot, mate!

haha, i still haven't picked up my copy from the comic shop!  i've been working 50+ hours a week since it came out. i've got to run a bunch of errands today, i should grab it while i'm out. thanks for the reminder!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, twiztor said:

haha, i still haven't picked up my copy from the comic shop!  i've been working 50+ hours a week since it came out. i've got to run a bunch of errands today, i should grab it while i'm out. thanks for the reminder!

Putting the hours in. Stay safe and you're welcome for the reminder, friend.

6 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

about to read Nightwing 78 now actually.

Funny thing.  I recently was reading the complete 13 issue WCW Marvel comic set and of note, WWF Steel Cage Challenge is advertised in several of the books. I guess Marvel owning the Hulk name gave them dibs to put WWF ads in a WCW comic. 

Hope you like Nightwing #78 and thanks for sharing about the WCW/Marvel books. I remember my parents getting an issue from one of those.

• Like 1

I enjoyed Nightwing #78. I feel I have a few ideas on where I think the story will go but I think things are back on the right track. Dick is such a versatile character. He has been written in so many ways.  Acrobat, Robin Boy Wonder,  Teen Titan member,  Nightwing, Superspy Grayson,  Ric.....   So many layers to the guy I just hope DC serves him well this time around. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

I enjoyed Nightwing #78. I feel I have a few ideas on where I think the story will go but I think things are back on the right track. Dick is such a versatile character. He has been written in so many ways.  Acrobat, Robin Boy Wonder,  Teen Titan member,  Nightwing, Superspy Grayson,  Ric.....   So many layers to the guy I just hope DC serves him well this time around. 

Dick Grayson is one of my favourite comic book characters for versatility and upbeat nature. Don't forget Dick Grayson as Batman written by Grant Morrison and also Scott Snyder. A golden period that was especially by Morrison when Grayson formed the new Dynamic Duo with Damian Wayne's Robin.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

On 4/3/2021 at 11:41 PM, The Natural said:

Dick Grayson is one of my favourite comic book characters for versatility and upbeat nature. Don't forget Dick Grayson as Batman written by Grant Morrison and also Scott Snyder. A golden period that was especially by Morrison when Grayson formed the new Dynamic Duo with Damian Wayne's Robin.

I re-read Year one Deluxe of Nightwing last night.  I like how it's mentioned that Dick had hoped to always become Batman himself.  I liked Morrison making Dick Batman but also liked it when he took over the mantle for a short time during Knightfall/Troika/Prodigal 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

I re-read Year one Deluxe of Nightwing last night.  I like how it's mentioned that Dick had hoped to always become Batman himself.  I liked Morrison making Dick Batman but also liked it when he took over the mantle for a short time during Knightfall/Troika/Prodigal 

Never read the former. Have to seek it out as origin stories are an interest of mine and to me, Batman: Year One is the best Batman book of all time.