DVDVR Message Board

2021 DC Comics Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

My never before posted reviews of the top five Batman stories of all time:

5. Batman: The Dark Knight Returns both written and drawn by Frank Miller. Batman comes out of retirement after 10 years as Bruce Wayne can’t deny what he is. Along the way Batman will go up against Two-Face, local/national forces, the Joker and Superman. I appreciate the story more than I originally did thanks to reading it again and the animated film I strongly recommend. I liked seeing an older Batman struggling at 55, the aforementioned fights particularly vs. Superman and the debates, positive and negative over Batman’s actions.I

4. Batman and Robin #1-3 is written by Grant Morrison and drawn by Frank Quietly. The new Batman and Robin team up for the first time taking on the disturbing Professor Pyg. The highlight of the book is the Batman and Robin relationship with the role reversal of Batman and Robin. Dick Grayson’s Batman is outgoing while Damian Wayne’s Robin is brooding and violent. I love Grant Morrison's 2006-2013 Batman run. Batman and Robin is the highlight among many highlights of the aforementioned run.

3. Batman: The Killing Joke is written by Alan Moore and drawn by Brian Bolland. A disturbing book for what the Joker does to Barbara Gordon to drive Commissioner Gordon mad and prove the Joker’s point, what a bad day can do to you. You see the difference in how Batman, Jim Gordon and the Joker react to their worst moment. We get flashbacks to the Joker before he changes into what he becomes.

2. Batman: The Long Halloween is written by Jeph Loeb and drawn by Tim Sale. There’s a serial killer committing murders on holidays while two mob families battle for Gotham City, Falcone and Maroni. A great story for setting it soon after Batman: Year One, the pact between Batman/Sergeant Gordon/District Attorney Harvey Dent for justice with consequences, a murder mystery and the appearance of the majority of Bat’s baddies.

1. Batman: Year One is written by Frank Miller and drawn by David Mazzucchelli. The best Batman story ever tells the origin of Batman as he begins his war on crime in Gotham City. As Bruce Wayne returns to Gotham, Lieutenant James Gordon arrives there and acts as his origin story too. Both are perfectly done. With the crime, corruption both on the streets and in power, Batman and Jim need each other. Memorable moments include Bruce in his study, Gordon vs. Detective Flass, Batman’s speech to those eaten Gotham’s wealth/spirit, Batman against the SWAT team and what Jim says to Bruce at the conclusion. The story and art work in synch with each other.

Generations was surprisingly enjoyable. It felt a lot like a big sprawling out throwback Busiek story (like Trinity or Avengers Forever or No Way Out/Home). I think we knew it would but it just hit its marks a lot better than expected. Usually when DC tries this sort of thing over the last ten years or so it comes off hackier.

Death Metal 7:

Wonder Woman won.

So Earth gets restored to what it was. 

The restored 52 universe exists again as it was (some earths may be different now) and more multiverses are being created along with the dark multiverse and Hypertime both still existing. Seems everything from the past exists again. Confirmed Future States is another world.

Two new universes are the main universe now in the 52 while Earth 0 isn't the main universe anymore. One is them is the "Elseworld".

They finally restored the JSA to WW2 but with Sgt Rock and Liberty Belle on Earth 0. 

Edited by D.Z

I skimmed Future State: Flash and it just boggles my mind that they think a single DC reader would like this. There's a good idea early on with depowered Flashes using the Rogues' gear but then they kill Bart early and then have Wally as basically a Black Flash that Barry realizes he can't save and has to destroy. I mean maybe Niners would be into this dreck but I can't think of a single other person I've met in the decades of reading comics that would be into this.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Matt D said:

Generations was surprisingly enjoyable. It felt a lot like a big sprawling out throwback Busiek story (like Trinity or Avengers Forever or No Way Out/Home). I think we knew it would but it just hit its marks a lot better than expected. Usually when DC tries this sort of thing over the last ten years or so it comes off hackier.

For a second, I thought you meant the Byrne book. 

DC has big plans for Wally in a good way. Restorative way.

Characters on Earth 0 will remember previous versions of themselves and memories.

Certain Characters who were dead before Dark Metal are now alive.

Elseworld is the main Earth and the other unnamed main Earth will both come in play later. Not sure what happens to Earth Primes (Superboy Primes Earth) top spot. 

Eventually I think DC will have to label the multiverses, Multiverse- 1, Multiverse-2 etc.

Edited by D.Z

I finished Garth Ennis' run on Hellblazer. It tapered off a bit towards the end, as most runs do, but I was happy that he tied up all the loose threads instead of leaving them for another writer to ignore or misinterpret. The biggest problem I had with the run was the impetus for Constantine turning his life around after he'd hit rock bottom. I thought that could have been handled better. More impressive was the Heartland one shot that deals with Kit's life in Belfast and her relationship with her family. That was a great read. Proof positive that Ennis doesn't need to use shock tactics to write a really good story. 

Also, Jonah Hex, where have you been all my life? I've always had a fondness for Westerns but never explored the genre in comic book format. The Hex stories have been excellent so far. 

The Batman Adventures Continue #15-17 is written by Alan Burnett, Paul Dini and Ty Templeton’s art in Secret Santa. Scarface and the Ventriloquist stage an attack on Gotham City. This was one of the best if not the best Batman: The Adventures Continue arc. There’s a number of things I really liked. Addressing the fact that the members of Scarface’s gang Robin wasn’t able to catch via Batplane fell to their deaths, Harley/Ivy’s chemistry, cameo DCAU first time appearances by Deadshot/King Shark/Kite Man/Magpie/the Carpenter and a recent addition, Knute Brody from Detective Comics #1000. That story also by Paul Dini and Dustin Nguyen on pencils needs to be read. I revisited it again and it’s still brilliant. Felt the same first time round.

New Robin book staring Damian Wayne in a new costume that combines the old with the recent grey one and some new elments.

John Stewart is the leading man in the new GL book. Guy appears with his 80s Haircut and Kyle and Simon Baz and alien GLs, no Hal.

New Batman mini series called Batman the Dark Knight written by TOM TAYLOR. Takes place in Europe, first in London.

RWBY/JUSTICE LEAGUE #1

Wally is the main Flash again (wearing his 90s costume) also Gold Beetle a female debuts.

New Next Batman mini series staring the Batman from futures state.

New Batman Scoobydoo comic series.

Edited by D.Z
  • Thanks 1

oE7EylL.png?1

Batman: The Dark Knight’ by Tom Taylor and Andy Kubert announced for 13th April 2021. Details:

New Bat-Villains! New Bat-Allies! A thrilling overseas adventure for the Dark Knight begins with the launch of DC’s Batman: The Dark Knight on April 13! Batman: The Dark Knight will take a seasoned Batman—a lifetime of broken bones but not a broken spirit—out of Wayne Manor and on a harrowing, action-packed European quest in a new six-issue miniseries with superstar creators Tom Taylor (DCeased, Suicide Squad) and Andy Kubert (Batman: The Dark Knight-The Master Race, Superman: Up in the Sky) at the helm! DC’s Dark Knight returns this April!

I'll be picking this up for the creative team. Tom Taylor wrote a top twenty Batman book, Batman Annual #3 and a top twenty Spider-Man book in Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man #14.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, D.Z said:

dc-comics-robin-1-main-cover-1252457.jpe

Cheers mate. I like that new Robin costume. Feels like something Damian Wayne would sport and has the traditional Robin look with the R on the chest and the black/yellow iconography. I do miss Damian's hood though.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Jason Todd is appearing in Urban Legends. I posted both Jason and Tim post Death Metal costumes while back in the pages thread.  Tim is also codenamed Robin.

Superman/Batman might be on the new Earth 2 but I haven't seen anything labeling that world yet.

The New Earth 3 Owlman is similar to the nihilist Owlman from the whatever that animated cartoon was called.

Edited by D.Z
  • Like 1

attachment.php?attachmentid=104773&d=161

Yes, please. Bring back Goliath, Colin and Superboy has to appear. The banter between Robin and Superbly by Peter J Tomasi is a highlight. Liking what I see and read about Robin's solo book.

Edited by The Natural