DVDVR Message Board

General Music Discussion Catch-All

RIPPA

It's the Rolling Stone Hall of Fame. They just never had the cojones to call it what it is. 

You know what, that considered, how many people do they tend to put in each year? Five? Well there's five people listed in that Tweet and that'll probably be the five that'll go in. I can see them dumping Maiden for the Dolls though because 1. Sylvain died and 2. They probably still hate Maiden.

Edited by Curt McGirt

There's been a Rolling Stone documentary series by Alex Gibney running on AXSTV the past couple weeks; it just wrapped up its sixth part. The hypocrisy is pretty glaring, especially seeing the '80s "we're hip now" self-ads in the magazine showing hippie stuff and yuppie stuff as a before-and-after, like they've moved into the future in a positive way or some shit. That's not to say they haven't done great reporting (and some incredibly flawed reporting which they talk about as well), but still. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

4 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Daft Punk have broken up.  

? 

As you can likely tell from the avatar this bums me out quite a bit.  I did read speculation that while Daft Punk will be no more they may do stuff either under different names/gimmicks or just go as themselves.  But honestly if they're still doing music in some way then I'm up for whatever they do.

Now if it truly is the end and they're completely done then I'll be incredibly sad.  My wife got super huge into them and our first years together was going through their discography as much as humanly possible.  But in a weird twist "Random Access Memories" was definitely one I liked more than she did (she prefers the older stuff)  It was musically their best album that had a more complete mix of their sound along with different genres.  So at this point any speculation I can cling onto is wishful thinking on my part but considering how successful and influential they've been for so long if they do decide to retire then that's great for them.  All I know is either way we'll be playing some of their stuff tonight.

I'm super bummed I never got to see Daft Punk in person. I really thought for a few years there in the late 2000s/early 2010s that they'd get booked for Bonnaroo, but it just never happened. Random Access Memories is my favorite, too. Instant Crush is really, really good.

I could see them doing the score for Tron 3 together, if that ever happens - maybe not under the Daft Punk name this time, though. That soundtrack is still amazing, even though the movie kind of sucks. They definitely have a future in film scoring if they want that.

• Like 2

mars-volta-box-set.jpg

I love The Mars Volta, like, A LOT. But I don't know if I'm going to spend $500 after taxes and shit on a vinyl boxset of their albums. The only thing that's of interest to me, really, is the demo album version of De-Loused. I've heard everything else that are on all of these albums (well, I guess I haven't heard the unreleased versions of Eunuch Provacteur and A Plauge Upon Your Hissing Children, but I don't like those songs - or anything from Tremulant).

Might try to find someone on eBay selling just Landscape Tantrums or something. But anyway it's already sold out online but it's in stock on Amazon.

The visual presentation of the box set is pretty wild, though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2021 at 7:08 PM, RIPPA said:

K-Pop

Shit, that's so much better than what I had in mind! If J-Pop wasn't already a thing, this could be huge! What I had in mind was "Whoosh!"

...I've been mulling over if I should even continue and explain the joke, but yeah, even I am aware that K-Pop is pretty much the most popular music genre going, with most devoted fans from around the globe, including John Cena, apparently.

I was just messing around, while listening to Grimes. Actually, I'm not positive if I have ever heard a legit K-Pop song, although I'm aware of Psy as far as Korean artists go.

Goddamn Warner Brothers holding the rights to the music of My Bloody Valentine means I can't get their vinyl reissues from Domino (non-US residents can, however). Not gonna lie, I can leave the vinyls, but I really wanted that 2CD version of their EPs that Domino is selling. Damnit.

Just now, Curt McGirt said:

Have you tried Discogs? Because you can buy anything on there. 

eBay and discogs are my first stops when those suckers ship out. The same goes for the Mars Volta box set, too (mainly just for the Deloused demos).

• Like 1

Postponed Deftones / Gojira / Poppy tour has new dates.  Closest they will come to the RVA is the Anthem in DC.  Date is August 29th.

I will try my best to be there since I am not West Coast and probably will never make Dia de los Deftones.

Edited by J.T.

Deftones being at Bonnaroo this year is really tempting, since I'm only about 30 minutes away from the festival grounds. Ticket prices are insanely high compared to what I used to pay in the past, though. And TOOL and Miley Cyrus being off the bill really makes me sad, too.

Reports are that DMX has been hospitalized following an overdose

EDIT - even worse it appears that the overdose caused a heart attack and that he is in "grave condition"