DVDVR Message Board

General Music Discussion Catch-All

RIPPA

Same here! I've got those fat reissues up to Lullabies and now the Blandsten Wreck Collection. I still need full copies of the Raul's sets from both them and the Dicks (who I actually prefer to the Boys but I'm dirty like that), though. I was introduced through buying The Skinny Elvis at Reckless in Chicago and it was a big eye-opener. Funny enough I think I got the Alternative Tentacles Dicks comp at the same time and again, BIG impression. 

My fave Big Boys stuff is the more quiet, conversational, night-time feeling stuff so to me their best song is "Complete Control". Desert island, absolutely. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

John F's FB post today

Spoiler

A note to all from John F. of TMBG

Greetings from the hospital. I am writing to you with my glasses a crumpled memory, while under a thick cloud of pain medication. In spite of that, I wanted to write to all of you to explain what exactly happened to me.

Last night in a car service on the way my to my apartment after the magnificent Bowery Ballroom show, I was in a rather dramatic car accident. Crossing into an intersection, our car was t-boned by a vehicle going at a very fast speed. The force of the impact actually flipped our car over to its side. While the driver and I oriented ourselves to our new sideways, broken glass and airbag-filled reality, we sensed the ominous smell of motor oil and smoke. Remarkably, just a moment later it seemed, a dozen NYC firemen arrived and set their minds on finding a way to liberate us. To them and the fantastically efficient EMS who whisked us to a trauma center, I will be forever grateful.

While sitting in the CT scan machine, I was working out how much more time I would need to get to DC for the next show in my diminished state. When I explained my plan to the doctor, he explained I had broken seven ribs (a majority of the ribs on my right side) and some of them in multiple places, and I wasn't going to be anywhere but in a bed for the foreseeable future.

While the pain in my side has only gotten worse since, it is my heart that is really breaking over these events. The entire band and crew have been working so hard to create a new show worthy of your interest and your endurance over these miserable COVID years. Last night was such a victory, and with unplayed new songs in the works and rearrangements of older material with the horn section, it was all feeling like a new beginning. But today I am in the hospital. I would understand anyone thinking we are just a band born under a bad sign and giving up hope, but I also know someday we will rock again — and for me, that day couldn’t come soon enough.

Until then I will be watching reruns of Sex in the City until I am strong enough to reach the remote. Wish me luck. I’m going to need it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Back when a Swedish pop star could have a gold record singing in English a song about Spain written by two Belgians. 

(admittedly, the same year a Swedish pop group won Eurovision singing about Napoleon.) 

Edited by odessasteps
  • Like 1

so Netflix has a miniseries called Trainwreck about Woodstock '99. i watched it tonight. the show was pretty compelling, but it really just put me back into my 1999 mindset.

i was 16 when Woodstock happened and i wanted to be there so bad. unfortunately, being a poor kid from the midwest, that wasn't happening. all of my favorite bands were playing (Kid Rock, Limp Bizkit, ICP, Korn, etc.)  instead we partied hard that weekend. we watched part of it on ppv. we were tuned in to mtv a lot. i had a damn good time but vowed that, no matter what, i would be at Woodstock 50th.

for those keeping score at home, a Woodstock 2019 festival never materialized. but it came close. i have a tshirt and flyer for it. and there was a concert at the original site (Doobie Bros. and Santana). i did make it there. i met Michael Lange (the original promoter). the whole thing was magical.

even from bad events, positive outcomes can bloom.

• Like 1

Bonnie Prince Billy released a cover of The Ramones' outsider done with David Berman before his death:

Also this past weekend was the 3rd anniversary of losing Berman.  It's nice to hear his voice again but man, it also brings up some rough feelings.

15 hours ago, twiztor said:

so Netflix has a miniseries called Trainwreck about Woodstock '99. i watched it tonight. the show was pretty compelling, but it really just put me back into my 1999 mindset.

i was 16 when Woodstock happened and i wanted to be there so bad. unfortunately, being a poor kid from the midwest, that wasn't happening. all of my favorite bands were playing (Kid Rock, Limp Bizkit, ICP, Korn, etc.)  instead we partied hard that weekend. we watched part of it on ppv. we were tuned in to mtv a lot. i had a damn good time but vowed that, no matter what, i would be at Woodstock 50th.

for those keeping score at home, a Woodstock 2019 festival never materialized. but it came close. i have a tshirt and flyer for it. and there was a concert at the original site (Doobie Bros. and Santana). i did make it there. i met Michael Lange (the original promoter). the whole thing was magical.

even from bad events, positive outcomes can bloom.

If you haven't already - you might want to check out the Documentary thread as their was discussion about both Woodstock docs in there recently

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

If you haven't already - you might want to check out the Documentary thread as their was discussion about both Woodstock docs in there recently

i did read that, and was going to post there, but since i wasn't really talking about the documentary(s) themselves, i thought this was more appropriate. also i was a little drunk and i couldn't trust where my 'stream of conscious' posting would lead.

I got to be cool and smart dad today.  My daughter is headed back to school on Friday and we started talking about House of Leaves because she read i for her contemporary literature class.   

I told her that Poe's album, Haunted, and the song, Angry Johnny, from her first album, Hello, were companion pieces to House of Leaves and my kid did not believe me..... until she looked it up on Wikipedia... and saw that the author of House of Leaves is Poe's brother... the guy who is also the narrator in Poe's video for Hey Pretty.

• Like 1

Maybe someone can help me shine some light onto this guitar player I recently found on a random youtube search.

His name is Masashi Hara and he plays like a Japanese Stevie Ray Vaughn. Well I should say played because apparently he died in 2018, but I can't find anything online about a how in that regard. He also was part of a band named Georgie Pie. Has anyone ever heard of this guy before? I just know I have some import cd's to look for online.

• Like 1

Has anyone here listened to Heroes Del Silencio back in the early 90's? Awesome Spanish alternative Rock, whose third release was an awesome The Mission/ Sisters of Mercy-like Goth Rock mixed with a tinge of Grunge and the later albums were a bit more psychedelic/ progressive. The front man had a solo project bearing his name after that. Anyone familiar? Anyway, Entre Dos Tierras is one for the ages, I'll have you know!

• 2 weeks later...