DVDVR Message Board

DC Movies - 2021

I was a big-time defender of Snyder’s MAN OF STEEL on this board, but BvS was one of the worst movies I’ve seen in the theater in a long time.  It seems unlikely to me that his JUSTICE LEAGUE was going to be much better or will be any better now.

Nonetheless, I’m fascinated to see how this experiment goes.  I can’t think of another time where a director was given $200 million to make a movie, then essentially be taken off the movie by the studio because of how badly it was going, then, years later, have the studio come back and be like, “Here’s another $70 million to go back and finish the movie you were making before.”  I feel like there is a tremendous opportunity for supreme pettiness to take place, which could be interesting to watch unfold, even if the movie isn’t particularly good.

• Like 2

There are various reports that point to Snyder leaving because of his daughter. 

But whether Snyder left or was told to leave is irrelevant because Warner Brothers blew it with Justice League.  Nobody liked it. There is Nobody who was clamoring for Justice League to be presented in that way. 

Like it or not,  the 'Snyderverse' has a large following and wanted it to be completed. The trailer had 25 million views in less than 24 hours. 

You combine that with HBO wanting to pump up subscribers and it's no surprise that they gave him a few bucks to finish it. $70 Million is nothing compared to the amount of subs they will receive. 

Whedon had been brought on to rewrite the movie according to the studio’s wishes long before Snyder left.  He was going to continue as director, but he had effectively lost creative control of the project, after his rough cut was famously declared “unwatchable” at a big studio screening.  I think his daughter’s death just gave him the motivation he needed to walk away from a project his heart wasn’t in anymore.

Edited by EVA

59 minutes ago, EVA said:

Whedon had been brought on to rewrite the movie according to the studio’s wishes long before Snyder left.  He was going to continue as director, but he had effectively lost creative control of the project, after his rough cut was famously declared “unwatchable” at a big studio screening.  I think his daughter’s death just gave him the motivation he needed to walk away from a project his heart wasn’t in anymore.

That could all be true but studio heads made the wrong call, they made the wrong call on the DCEU from the beginning.. 

Justice League presented in that way pleases nobody. 

At least the snyderverse has fans.

But it's also argued by many that Snyder is the wrong guy to lead a universe to begin with..

My point is when you choose to go all in, you might as well finish what you started. 

36 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

What should be discussed in a thread called DC movies ? 

??

I'm sure someone's making a documentary about how the District of Columbia should be an actual State of the Union.

• Like 1

I did my rewatch recently of BvS & Justice League. I wouldn't consider myself a Snyder fanboy, but I was excited for this to come out and see the differences.

That is... until it was confirmed this will be in the 4:3 aspect ratio. Completely takes me out of it. The reason for 4:3 is he wanted the whole movie to be formatted to fit on IMAX screens. Well dipshit, your movie isn't being shown on IMAX screens. It's being shown on HBO Max. Zero IMAX screens are showing this. Yet it's formatted exclusively for IMAX screens.

He also wanted to make the cut black & white, but he backed off on that. I assume there will be a black & white cut as a bonus for DVD release. But I realllyyyy lost a lot of excitement for this knowing he made it to fit TVs that no one owns. ?

58 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

That is... until it was confirmed this will be in the 4:3 aspect ratio. Completely takes me out of it. The reason for 4:3 is he wanted the whole movie to be formatted to fit on IMAX screens. Well dipshit, your movie isn't being shown on IMAX screens. It's being shown on HBO Max. Zero IMAX screens are showing this. Yet it's formatted exclusively for IMAX screens.

i read that he said if it was in widescreen you would lose the vertical imagery. 

4 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

i read that he said if it was in widescreen you would lose the vertical imagery. 

Is that really an acceptable answer? In my opinion, no. Your opinion may vary. But he's making a product for consumption. Once he starts taking steps to make that consumption difficult he's veering away from the goal. I don't want to watch a movie created in 2021 formatted to a screen from 1981. Sorry. I'm still going to watch it. And hope for a fun experience. But some of the fun of that experience is already ruined because he made a big time dipshit choice.

Lots of good movies from the past decade have used 4:3. The Lighthouse, Grand Budapest Hotel, First Reformed, etc. Bars on the side of the screen, bars on the top and bottom, no skin off my ass so long as it feels like it works for the thing. I haven't seen this thing, so who knows. To each their own. 

But even considering black and white for a big studio super hero team-up flick? He might be the stupidest living person. 

3 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Sin City was awesome.  But he never said only black and white.  He said he liked black and white and there would be both color and the b&w

I'm not anti-b&w in general. This just feels like the black and white cuts of Parasite and Fury Road. I guess somebody wants these things, but I can't imagine why. 

Logan came out in black and white. They called it Logan Noir.

3 hours ago, Bustronaut said:

A 4 hour running length is a bigger hassle than 4:3.  I love how this shit is always about the "auteur's vision" until it's something nerds don't like.

Is every movie director an Auteur? Or do you need to have a background in Art cinema first?