DVDVR Message Board

DC Movies - 2021

Really, I think this has been in the cards for a while because nothing was said about the Trench after it was announced and New Gods didn't really seem to be making much progress. I have seen Snyder fans up in arms over this which is kind of funny because they would have been super pissed if another Darkseid was on screen and it wasn't Snyder's.

Shame about New Gods and The Trench. I was more interested in the former as I think my introduction to Darkseid, the Furies, Mister Miracle and Big Barda came from Final Crisis. Been trying to remember the last few days whether it was from there or another story. How was Mister Miracle by Tom King/Mitch Gerads? I ask as I find King very hit and miss.

EyDv1gCVgAMge6I?format=jpg&name=large

EyD5UFKWQAIFWGg?format=png&name=900x900

Happy 42nd Birthday to the late, great, Heath Ledger. Ledger's performance as the Joker in The Dark Knight (2008) is iconic. I saw his first film, 10 Things I Hate About You (1999) at the cinema and it's still one of my favourite films.

Edited by The Natural

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/ray-fisher-opens-up-about-justice-league-joss-whedon-and-warners-i-dont-believe-some-of-these-people-are-fit-for-leadership

Tweets aren't embedding right now. Author of the piece Kim Masters: "Warner did not want me to write this story, to put it mildly."

Within: Geoff Johns' rep wants you to know that he's Lebanese American. Also, Johns was married to a black woman for a decade, Johns' second wife is Asian American, and his son is mixed-race. Geoff Johns' rep really wants you to keep these things in mind while reading this article

Here's an investigator responding to Fisher's asking who's overseeing the inquiry, providing what they claim to be a name they pulled off the internet.

But then a Warners veteran told Fisher not to trust the investigation if a particular studio exec was overseeing it because that person had previously helped sweep misconduct under the rug. When he spoke to the investigator, Fisher asked how many times he had worked for the studio. He declined to answer. Fisher asked who was overseeing the inquiry and said he would have an issue if it was the executive named by his contact; he still got no answer. Feeling that the situation felt "pretty dodgy," Fisher went no further.

On Aug. 26, the investigator provided a name, citing an attorney in the general counsel's office. When Fisher looked at the WarnerMedia website, he found this individual was the only Black attorney whose headshot was visible.

And in fact, that lawyer had nothing to do with the investigation. (She handled matters for HBO, HBO Max, TBS and TNT.) Fisher wondered if naming her had been a simple mistake or a ploy to lull him "into a sense of security with the idea that she might be on the same team as me simply by way of her being a Black person."

In early October, top WarnerMedia execs spoke with Fisher and his team, including a rep from SAG-AFTRA. (Fisher's reps confirm the content of the call.) When Fisher pressed the question of how the investigator had come to provide the name of an in-house attorney who had nothing to do with the inquiry, a WarnerMedia executive on the call responded that the investigator had "just pulled the name off the internet."

Here's a reminder that executives are fucking mental:

"This is one of the most expensive movies Warners has ever made," Berg said, according to Fisher. "What if the CEO of AT&T has a son or daughter, and that son or daughter wants Cyborg to say 'booyah' in the movie and we don't have a take of that? I could lose my job." Fisher responded that he knew if he filmed the line, it would end up in the movie. And he expressed skepticism that the film's fate rested on Cyborg saying "booyah."

Here's the head of communications for WarnerMedia:

Christy Haubegger — head of communications at WarnerMedia and the company's top inclusion officer — said the studio's statement that Fisher had refused to cooperate with the investigation had been based on "third-hand" information. The studio's communications department had been "responding emotionally" to Fisher's public allegations against Hamada, she said, adding, "I think they believed what they were saying was true." Fisher wondered why anyone at the studio, which was ostensibly the subject of the investigation, would comment at all.

Pressed by Fisher, Haubegger declined to say who at the studio had approved the statement, but she said she was "furious" when she read it. "I have made it 100 percent crystal clear to everyone in the entire Warner Bros. communications organization that not a goddamn word can be said about Ray Fisher," Haubegger said. "If I catch anyone doing that, they're fired."

But having declined to say who at the studio approved the statement, I guess it's fair to assume we don't know if they were fired as per her wishes? 

Here's a taste of Joss Whedon being a dipshit:

Whedon sent out an email asking for questions, comments or "fulsome praise," but Fisher says it became clear: "All he was looking for was the fulsome praise." Trying to strike a jocular tone, Fisher responded that he mourned the loss of the Cyborg material but was moving on. He said he had notes to avoid issues in terms of representation of the character. But in a call with Whedon, Fisher says he had barely started to talk when the filmmaker cut him off. "It feels like I'm taking notes right now, and I don't like taking notes from anybody — not even Robert Downey Jr.," he said. Other sources on the project say Whedon was similarly dismissive of Gadot and Momoa when they questioned new lines.

Here's more of Joss Whedon being a dipshit:

Sources say Whedon clashed with all the stars of the film, including Jeremy Irons. And one Justice League star ended up taking her complaints not only to the head of the film studio but also to the chairman of Warner Bros. A knowledgeable source says Gadot had multiple concerns with the revised version of the film, including "issues about her character being more aggressive than her character in Wonder Woman. She wanted to make the character flow from one movie to the next."

The biggest clash, sources say, came when Whedon pushed Gadot to record lines she didn't like, threatened to harm Gadot's career and disparaged Wonder Woman director Patty Jenkins. While Fisher declines to discuss any of what transpired with Gadot, a witness on the production who later spoke to investigators says that after one clash, "Joss was bragging that he's had it out with Gal. He told her he's the writer and she's going to shut up and say the lines and he can make her look incredibly stupid in this movie."

There's a lot more in there. Whole article is worth a read.

Edited by John from Cincinnati

On 4/1/2021 at 7:53 PM, Raziel said:

I said it with Disney fucking up Star Wars while nailing Marvel, but it's fucking amazing with how Disney prints money off its everything that Warner can't get *any* it's IP to actually make money.  Like how on the age of Comic Book Movies holding most of the top 10 standings in BO returns can Warner just constantly fuck up every time anyone other than Berlanti does something with a DC property.

I don't think that Disney is fucking up Star Wars so much that they've got no real overarching meta to give individual projects other than the "new trilogy" any sense of placement, while Marvel is all about its "phases" to give fans some sense of structure because people fucking love patterns.

That being said. it looks as though the DC incels that are ruining everything for everybody don't really want a DCU, they just want Batman and maybe Superman and to its credit WB and DC have managed to do pretty awesome things with Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and Captain... er.... Shazam in spite of the entitled fan base of grognards and that totally burns them the fuck up.

Nolan Batman arguably is the best and worst thing to happen to DC.  Now everyone expects all DC properties to be dark and grimy.

Don't get me wrong.  I'm totally in favor of Matt Reeve's Batman being some David Fincher inspired nightmare masterpiece somewhere in between Seven, Zodiac, and Gone Girl, but an atmosphere like that only works for Batman.  Angsty Superman from Man of Steel was the worst Superman I've ever seen.   Shazam was a better Superman movie than Man of Steel.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

I think it’s fair to say they “fucked up” Star Wars by moving forward with the new trilogy without any overarching plans other than letting the three different directors essentially play “yes, and...” with each other’s plot.  That then fell apart when the third director dropped out and they went back to the first, who then refused to play “yes, and...”  Having now watched the Filoni cartoons, it’s mind-boggling they had him (or the Pablo guy) available and didn’t use them to at least help create some sort of overarching plot from the beginning. I think they’ve fixed that fuck up now by focusing on D+ show and having Favreau and Filoni seemingly guide the shows more.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

I think it’s fair to say they “fucked up” Star Wars by moving forward with the new trilogy without any overarching plans other than letting the three different directors essentially play “yes, and...” with each other’s plot.  That then fell apart when the third director dropped out and they went back to the first, who then refused to play “yes, and...”  Having now watched the Filoni cartoons, it’s mind-boggling they had him (or the Pablo guy) available and didn’t use them to at least help create some sort of overarching plot from the beginning. I think they’ve fixed that fuck up now by focusing on D+ show and having Favreau and Filoni seemingly guide the shows more.

I'm pretty lenient on the third trilogy and it's handling of Luke Skywalker since I openly despise emo Anakin from RoTS.  Yeah, I think it is a crime how they handled Luke's legacy, but it is mild compared to NOOOOOOOOO Vader who somehow believes that discipline and commitment are evil and somehow warrant a death sentence for children.

It's pretty interesting that we've brought up Star Wars since it is another example of how social media has amplified the incel communities of both fan bases and nearly ruins both properties for other fans.  DC has made remarkable strides with their films since Green Lantern, but the rabid idiots out there just want Batman and Superman and when they got it, it was a pretty lousy movie.

• Like 2

On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2021 at 10:50 AM, Bustronaut said:

Yeah, it's a shame they made Luke the most powerful Jedi that ever lived.  Real slap in the face to all the real fans.

I'm not a fan of Luke's death by hologram, but we can argue about that in the Star Wars thread, right?

On 4/14/2021 at 7:46 AM, JonnyLaw said:

Having now watched the Filoni cartoons, it’s mind-boggling they had him (or the Pablo guy) available and didn’t use them to at least help create some sort of overarching plot from the beginning.

I assume its because Filoni was a cartoon guy so they wanted people with live action experience and who were known names. Hell, when they originally announced Mandalorian they only announced Filoni as an episode director. It was Favraeu who mentioned how much more work Filoni was actually doing on the show beyond that.

On 4/15/2021 at 1:08 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

On the one hand i get Dave's point. On the other he really would be a fantastic Killawog.

Edited by Eivion

8 hours ago, ErinQuinn said:

Big Dave would be great as a recast Bane 

Hmmm....Are we too close to TDKR to already bring in Bane as the big, looming bad guy for the new Batman movies? If not, I could get down with Batista being a new Bane that's basically sending anything and everything at Batman to weaken him.

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

Hmmm....Are we too close to TDKR to already bring in Bane as the big, looming bad guy for the new Batman movies? If not, I could get down with Batista being a new Bane that's basically sending anything and everything at Batman to weaken him.

Eh. It's been less than 10 years since we got Bane.  Batsy's bench is *deep* with good villains. 

I'm glad that (with the exception of Catwoman, who's a tweener anyway) that the villains of The Batman are (from what we've seen) The Riddler and The Penguin, both of whom haven't been seen on screen in nearly 30 years. 

Hell, we still don't have a live action Mad Hatter or Red Hood or Solomon Grundy yet.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Eh. It's been less than 10 years since we got Bane.  Batsy's bench is *deep* with the best rogues gallery in all of comics. 

I'm glad that (with the exception of Catwoman, who's a tweener anyway) that the villains of The Batman are (from what we've seen) The Riddler and The Penguin, both of whom haven't been seen on screen in nearly 30 years. 

Hell, we still don't have a live action Mad Hatter or Red Hood or Solomon Grundy yet.  

Subtle tweak ?.

I do want to see Red Hood in the Batman movies. Professor Pyg and Simon Hurt as well. More chance of Hood and Pyg. Glad we're getting a Riddler and Penguin on the big screen again. Jim Carrey's Riddler was terrible. The best Riddler is still Frank Gorshin from the 1960s Batman (ditto for Burgess Meredith as the Penguin) and John Glover's from Batman: The Animated Series.