DVDVR Message Board

DC Movies - 2021

8 hours ago, AxB said:

And I thought Return of the King had a lot of endings.

EDIT: Wait, the "Who's going to give you a reach around?" line is real? I thought that was a joke!

Guess who came up with the line? Jared Leto. Of course he did.

The best bit of the Original cut was the bit where Aquaman accidentally sat on the Lasso of truth and started talking honestly about his feelings. Which isn't in the Snyder cut. In fact, a lot of the problems with the released version haven't actually been excised. It's just longer, not better.

1 minute ago, AxB said:

The best bit of the Original cut was the bit where Aquaman accidentally sat on the Lasso of truth and started talking honestly about his feelings. Which isn't in the Snyder cut. In fact, a lot of the problems with the released version haven't actually been excised. It's just longer, not better.

There's definitely areas where it's better. It's more coherent, for sure. The action looks better. Cyborg has a character. It doesn't feel like there's three completely different movies fighting for screen time. Steppenwolf is no longer the single least interesting villain ever.

But it's also got things that are so much worse. Flash at the top of that list, just incredibly annoying in the longer cut. The epilogues, especially the Knightmare, are just bad. The length in general is punishing. The utter lack of a color palette. Leto.

Then there are things that are bad in both cuts. Despite the improvements, Steppenwolf is still pretty bad. The "Superman is crazy" scene still completely derails the entire idea of the Justice League.

They are two divergent paths through the same material that both wound up at the same "slightly above average' destination.

Snyder Cut was interesting.  I thought it was an easier watch, if not a better movie.  For me, at least, the Snyder Cut did nothing to redeem Snyder or his original vision for the movie.  I imagine the original release might  have been better too if they had added two hours to the run time.

Felt like JL still had a lot of issues and it did nothing to make me want to see another Snyder film.  His ideas for a continuation of the story don't sound like anything I would want to watch.

I'm curious what the original theatrical cut would have looked like if Snyder had been able to stay with the project.  No way this thing runs 242 min in theaters so you're cutting out huge chunks of the Snyder Cut.  Not sure the slimmed down version would have been very coherent.

I finally watched this yesterday.  Probably too much to unpack in one post, but I’ll just start off by saying I liked it for the most part.  It was significantly better than what I’ve seen of the theatrical JL, but that was almost going to be a given, considering we’re talking about a cohesive auteurist vision vs. a Frankenstein of studio notes.  I mean, even if it had been BAD, it would’ve at least been BAD in the interesting way that it often is when you’re getting an unhinged look at a director’s id, as opposed to the theatrical JL’s flailing attempts to please everyone, resulting in the most down-the-middle consumerist trash imaginable.

And you know what?  I think it’s actually pretty good up until about...Chapter 4?  Whenever the plot to resurrect Superman comes in.  That was the point when the original fell apart, and it undoes Snyder’s version, too.  They collectively went 0-for-2 in trying to make that work.  And, ultimately, Snyder just has a Superman Problem.  He knows how to make pretty much all the other heroes work (ADHD Flash is fine with me; it makes a certain kind of sense), but it’s clear he never really got Superman and never will.  And I say that as an avowed MAN OF STEEL apologist!  But Snyder just kept digging that hole deeper and deeper with each new film, and it’s clear he wasn’t going to stop until he reached China.

That said, the action climax is WAY better in this one.  I liked how everybody had a role to play in saving the day, as opposed to the original, where Superman just kinda shows up and saves the day, and then it ends in such a wet fart, with the heroes not even really beating Steppenwolf.   I felt like Snyder was going out on a high note...

And then the damn Epilogue happened.  The Knightmare timeline scene was an absolute embarrassment.  Leto’s performance as Joker did nothing to bolster the theory that he was merely the victim of a bad edit of SUICIDE SQUAD.  He just sucks.  There was a point in the film where I was kinda wishing we would get to see what happens next with these versions of the characters, but after that epilogue?  Nope, nope, nope.

• Like 3

Black Adam continues to be the most confounding comic book movie project. I get how they could make a movie just about the Joker. But Black Adam? 

Yeah...I don't know about this one.

Black Adam was unquestionably the most interesting DC comics character of 2003-2004 (which is actually saying a lot as they were in their pre-Infinite Crisis peak at that point). So there's a lot of meat in the source material if they lean into it.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 4

THR goes on to report that a New Gods film was complicated by Darkseid having such a major presence in the Snyder Cut of Justice League, with DC Films deciding not to feature the villain in such a short amount of time. 

Cool. So they'll be shelving Matt Reeves' Batman flick, right? Cancelling the Superman and Lois series? Do we get a reprieve from further Joker nonsense for a while now?

Fuck these people.

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Cool. So they'll be shelving Matt Reeves' Batman flick, right?

Apparently (and this is from the THR story), the reason The Batman isn't included in this logic is because it is set on Earth-2 so it isn't part of the "shared Universe" (which I guess also saves Gotham City Police Department)

• Haha 1

Of course The Batman gets to exist in earth 2 because they're addicted to that sweet, sweet Batman money but Batfleck was a flop. So it's time to pivot! But they also dont want to give up the shared Universe because that closes the window on big event films. They get to have their cake and eat it too. Maybe if Battinson is a hit, the multiverse will bring him into the shared Universe. 

Which earth is the Joaqer on?

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 1

I said it with Disney fucking up Star Wars while nailing Marvel, but it's fucking amazing with how Disney prints money off its everything that Warner can't get *any* it's IP to actually make money.  Like how on the age of Comic Book Movies holding most of the top 10 standings in BO returns can Warner just constantly fuck up every time anyone other than Berlanti does something with a DC property.

• Thanks 1