DVDVR Message Board

DC Movies - 2021

So, for fun (and because it's been a major topic of discussion in a lot of places), I went and did a few side-by-sides on identical monitors, and the Snyder cut in 4:3 has way more visible in frame than the Whedon.  It's definitely an IMAX movie.

• Like 2

Where's Niners?  Did they ascend to Heaven upon finally viewing?

ETA: People always think of 4:3 as being cropped somehow, but if you shoot something full gate it is... 4:3. (Unless using anamorphic lenses). Check out the Fullscreen vs Widescreen versions of The Blues Brothers for the best example.

Edited by Bustronaut

For those interested, Waid's review

Spoiler

I was pleasantly surprised by the Snyder cut. To quote Tom Peyer, "there was nothing in there that made me angry," and other than Wonder Woman killing a terrorist, it wasn't as murdery as I figured it'd be. We got to see a dumb amount of footage of the Justice League walking up stairs and down hallways, the incessant slo-mo became annoying--ironically, Flash spent far more time in slow motion than at superspeed--and Batman's line to Joker was really jarring, but it held together better than Whedon's version. And Ray Fisher was really good. If you're looking for me to go off on a rant, sorry to disappoint. It was fine for what it was, IMO.

Spoilerized for size

Edited by odessasteps

Snyder revealed what the plans were for 2 and 3:

Spoiler

Like we see in the epilogue, Lois is killed and it's Batman's fault. That creates an Injustice kind of scenario where Superman goes bad and helps Darkseid destroy and rule Earth.

Everything culminates with a...wait for it...time travel plot where they travel back in time to save Lois, which prevents Superman from going heel. Darkseid is defeated, but Batman sacrifices himself to ensure the good guys win.

Also, in Justice League, Lois is pregnant. With a saved Lois, Clark and Lois have a baby boy without any powers and they name it Bruce. 20 years later, they bring Bruce to the Batcave and Bruce Kent becomes the new Batman.

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, Craig H said:

Snyder revealed what the plans were for 2 and 3:

Hide contents

Like we see in the epilogue, Lois is killed and it's Batman's fault. That creates an Injustice kind of scenario where Superman goes bad and helps Darkseid destroy and rule Earth.

Spoiler

I'm vaguely curious as to what they mean by "it's Batman's fault" since Injustice has it being the Joker but Batman is also blamed since he never took care of the Joker.

• Like 1

I read the Vanity Fair interview where Snyder lays it all out...

It's a case of Snyder spending a lot of time thinking about what he could  that he never considered if he *should*.

1 hour ago, Raziel said:

I read the Vanity Fair interview where Snyder lays it all out...

It's a case of Snyder spending a lot of time thinking about what he could  that he never considered if he *should*.

I'll vote for "shouldn't".  His ideas for 2 & 3 sound really off-putting at first glance.  And, personally, I'm probably not going to be much into anything that leans too far into Snyder's philosophy of "make it all grimdark."

Going to watch the Snyder Cut this weekend.  Looking forward to it, if only for the curiosity factor.  The couple (4?) reviews I saw a few days ago were all over the map.

Watched it at my friend's house. We thought it was much better than the theatrical version. Not worth the run time. I enjoyed the Joker scene for what it was.

Seeing what Snyder wanted to do with the sequels, I'm fine with this being it. I did not like Man of Steel or BvS. He is better at adapting material than creating. 

• Like 1

I tapped out very early on Suicide Squad, so I had no idea who was playing the Joker in this, and didn't want to unintentionally spoil myself by IMDBing it.

Instead I just sat there wondering why they got Jim Carrey to play the Joker and doing absolutely nothing differently to when he played the Riddler.

Edited by GuerrillaMonsoon
  • Like 1

Finished this, watched with all my brothers and we had a fucking blast. Lots of great stuff to admire BUT the fucking constant slow mo kept pissing me off ? I joked at one point "sure its 4 hours run time but speed up the slow scenes and the run time is only 3 hours max" then we finished it and I'm almost sure if some fan does an edit that runs the majority of the unnecessary slow shots at regular speed its probably just over 3 hours not counting the credits 

Abrams is to lens flares as Snyder is to slow mo it seems 

Enjoyed it, enough nitpicking I guess. Would hate to try sitting through it in a theater due to run time, but at home with intermission it's great. Hated the video format, looked so shrunken on my brother's wide-screen tv

So any issues I had were more about format than content 

7 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Took me three attempts at finishing it, but I got there.

Ultimately four hours is just not worth the time expenditure to retrospectively grade a C movie to a B+, especially when all the awesome stuff they tease is never happening.

This pretty perfectly sums up my feelings on it too. The finished product is better than the theatrical version but it's still not something I feel like I would want to watch again. I'd be fine with the Snyderverse being put to rest once and for all. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Thanks for thinking of me I will make a post on it soon..  been a busy day for me, maybe tomorrow 

Glad you're okay, @Niners Fan in CT.

I really enjoyed Zack Snyder’s Justice League (2021). There’s such a contrast from the Snyder Cut to Joss Whedon’s original theatrical cut of Justice League (2017): the story, how it was shot, the tone and how characters were used or misused. Victor Stone/Cyborg is the biggest beneficiary of this version. It was great seeing Darkseid make his first live action appearance. The four hour runtime of Snyder’s director’s cut went quickly for me, ironic considering the amount of slow motion shots. I liked the return to the Knightmare Timeline as well.

The film has teases which I don’t think will come to fruition even with the movement for Zack Snyder’s Justice League to be released and the positive praise it’s mostly received.  Feels like this will be the last time we’ll see some characters like Ben Affleck playing Bruce Wayne/Batman. An impressive aspect of the movie to me was making Barry Allen/the Flash played by Ezra Miller and the Joker played by Jared Leto tolerable. Leto’s still the worst live action Joker ever though.  I’m glad Zack Snyder was able to release his version as originally intended having to step down from it due to a family tragedy, my heart goes out to him and his family on xxx.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1