DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Movies - 2021

In Nash's dreams, maybe.

He'll look more like Hogan once they shave most of his head... assuming they do. I mean, they should, but doubtless the Hulkster himself is advocating for Hemsworth to have a full head of hair throughout.

• Like 1

Listening to a podcast where they're talking about every single character in the MCU movies, and it's always fun to think about how many big names were in these and how deep the list is of actors you could reasonably say were underserved by the material. I'd completely forgotten Glenn Close was in one of these. GLENN CLOSE. 

Also: Goddammit, Marvel. Yeah, I totally believe that those Guy Pearce toys were selling like hotcakes. You dingdongs.

All I’ll say is this, on the record: There was an early draft of Iron Man 3 where we had an inkling of a problem. Which is that we had a female character who was the villain in the draft. We had finished the script and we were given a no-holds-barred memo saying that cannot stand and we’ve changed our minds because, after consulting, we’ve decided that toy won’t sell as well if it’s a female.

https://uproxx.com/movies/shane-black-the-nice-guys-iron-man-3/

And they really dodged a bullet by not saying yes to RDJ's ask regarding Mel Gibson. 

6 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

"All I’ll say is this, on the record: There was an early draft of Iron Man 3 where we had an inkling of a problem. Which is that we had a female character who was the villain in the draft. We had finished the script and we were given a no-holds-barred memo saying that cannot stand and we’ve changed our minds because, after consulting, we’ve decided that toy won’t sell as well if it’s a female."

Sounds like an Ike Perlmutter memo.

I'm sure other stuff happened, since Ike wasn't ousted until a few years after Iron Man 3 was released. There's tweets from Ruffalo from sometime in 2016 complaining about the lack of Black Widow toys and merch, for example. But pretty much everything past September 2015 as it relates to the movies was Feige running things and reporting to Alan Horn (now Alan Bergman, since he's the Chairman now). Ike still had his hands all over Marvel TV shows up until two years ago when they finally merged Marvel Television into Marvel Studios. But I doubt anything Ike veto'd or whatever in the TV realm affected Feige one way or another, since everything was very, super loosely connected to the MCU at that point.

But some of the stuff Ike said pre-IM3 is pretty gross. Like replacing Terrance Howard with Don Cheadle, because "all black people look the same, who will notice?". And according to Variety, he might be the reason Mickey Rourke doesn't like Marvel, since he was offered $250k to appear in Iron Man 2. 

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

On 6/4/2021 at 9:14 PM, Casey said:

Into The Spider-Verse 2 news: Issa Rae is voicing Spider-Woman.

Cue the outrage outline, probably.

It does not bother me that Issa will voice Spider-Woman, but the casting of the previous movie was racially sensitive to the point where Marvin "Krondon" Jones III, an albino black man, did the voice work for Tombstone, another albino black man, so I guess white people might have a legit reason to gripe about this casting choice.

Then again, the people bitching about Issa doing the voice for a white character might not be all that bothered by Clancy Brown's voicework for the Asian characters in the Avatar:  The Last Airbender animated series or Arif Zahir, not a black man, being the voice of Cleveland, a black man, on Family Guy.

The first movie was awesome and won an Oscar so I am inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt while they work on their new thing.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

Then again, the people bitching about Issa doing the voice for a white character might not be all that bothered by Clancy Brown's voicework for the Asian characters in the Avatar:  The Last Airbender animated series or Arif Zahir, not a black man, being the voice of Cleveland, a black man, on Family Guy.

This kind of presumes the character will still be white. The bitching is likely more on the suspicion of the casting being because of a race change.

9 hours ago, J.T. said:

Yeah, see, the problem here is that people online will complain because Issa, a black woman, is voicing a white character (if Jessica Drew isn't changed to be a black woman - which will open up another can of worms probably). The other examples you mentioned are non-white people voicing non-white characters. They don't care about that, because these are white people complaining (and more than likely, the supremist/far right/kotaku in action type).

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Eivion said:

This kind of presumes the character will still be white. The bitching is likely more on the suspicion of the casting being because of a race change.

Whites have been voicing non white characters since animation was a thing so the inverse should be perfectly acceptable unless you're an asshole. 

That being said since there is a Spider Verse, there's no reason why there can't be an African-American Jessica Drew on Earth-4738922874209374 or some shit with Issa Rae doing her voice.  Yes, I am for the race change if that happens.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

I really liked the Hopeless Spider-Woman series, but that said, I see zero reason, given her backstory and the various twists and turns of her fictional history, why Jessica Drew needs to be white; it wouldn't dramatically changing the character. I'm not even sure what the argument could be here (and there are characters I can see an argument for, at least, even if it's not always a good argument).

Edited by Matt D

Given the whole premise is about the multiverse, just make her from another Earth. 
 To me, that’s the best alternative when you want to race/gender swap a character instead of just making a legacy successor.

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

Whites have been voicing non white characters since animation was a thing so the inverse should be perfectly acceptable unless you're an asshole. 

That being said since there is a Spider Verse, there's no reason why there can't be an African-American Jessica Drew on Earth-4738922874209374 or some shit with Issa Rae doing her voice.  Yes, I am for the race change if that happens.

I'm generally ok with people voice acting races different from their on. I'm also pretty much with you on it not mattering much if they change her race here since Spider-Verse is literally based on the multiverse.

• Like 1

The movie itself is already it’s own separate Earth

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Given the whole premise is about the multiverse, just make her from another Earth. 
 To me, that’s the best alternative when you want to race/gender swap a character instead of just making a legacy successor.

The movie is already its own separate Earth from the comics, so mission accomplished.