DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Movies - 2021

On 7/8/2021 at 9:13 PM, Casey said:

Corey Stoll is returning for Ant-Man & The Wasp: Quantumania

Makes sense.   If Janet Van Dyne can be rescued from the Quantum Realm, then so could Darren Cross.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

Makes sense.   If Janet Van Dyne can be rescued from the Quantum Realm, then so could Darren Cross.

Cross didn't just shrink to quantum size, though. Part of him did, and then another part of him, and then another part of him in a pretty gruesome way... So I'd assume it's a multiverse Cross, maybe where he succeeds?

• Haha 1

So I watched The New Mutants. I was going to say I finally got around to it, but it only came out recently, it's more that they finally got around to releasing the thing. I had low expectations and was pleasantly surprised. Some unusual casting choices, and obviously having the movie sit on a shelf for five years between being made and anyone seeing it really made it seem like the studio was ashamed of it or something.

Can't say I get the hate for The New Mutants.  It's not bad by any stretch.  But even though I liked it, I also instantly thought, "I doubt I'll ever feel the need to watch that again" while the credits rolled.  I think the casting is actually quite good and they had good chemistry together.  I do agree that it's too short and too thin on developing everyone.  It was only 90 minutes and could have had at least another 10 tacked on to flesh out everyone a bit more, particularly Dr. Reyes, who is far too generic.  She either needed to be considerably more conniving or considerably more conflicted, not this flat.  That's kind of a metaphor for the whole movie: felt like it didn't commit to one idea enough to be a better film.

My only question is why wait until now? Other than that, ok, sure. I do wonder what this means for other movies that were streaming on Disney+ and in theaters at the same time. And if anyone in any WB movies looks at this and decides to do the same thing.

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

Well, that's interesting.

Assuming the assertions in the suit are correct regarding what was in her contract it sure sounds like Disney is in breach.

I believe Disney negotiated with Rock over moving Jungle Cruise to Premier Access, so I wonder if someone overlooked this or if this is just now happening because she/her agents are just now realizing how much the expected payment was being affected.

1 hour ago, EVA said:

Probably the first of many such lawsuits.

I’m sure Disney/Marvel social media stans will handle someone challenging their Godbrand well.

In terms of big stars this may actually be a big edge case.  Black Widow is probably going to be the only Marvel movie that gets a dual release unless things go really south and theaters get shut down again.  And ScarJo was the 2nd longest-tenured main MCU actor (3rd if you count Paltrow) so it's certainly possible her contract has more generous language in it.  Plus per the article WB actually negotiated a new deal with the DCU stars, so it's less likely we would see lawsuits from there.

I can't imagine why Disney didn't negotiate with her unless they felt secure in their contract or didn't care if they pissed her off since she was on the way out and figure they can outspend her on litigation.

51 minutes ago, Craig H said:

My only question is why wait until now? 

I'd guess negotiations broke down.  Disney's lawyers/actuaries aren't stupid.  

I'm guessing they told her "You're worth this much", plus your character is dead so no more Marvel movies for you.  She and her people didn't like what they said, so, lawsuit.  

If they've negotiated a deal with the Rock, they've probably done so with other people as well.   So I'm not sure if this is, in fact, the knife's edge for other lawsuits.  Frankly, I'd be astonished if Disney doesn't just say force majeure as their excuse for breach. 

• Like 2

I'm sorry, they pushed the movie back 5 times to avoid this, and now there's like 20 MCU movies coming out in the next year because of it.  If she really had no idea until a month after it underperformed then I feel bad for other people involved in whatever other financial decisions she's made.

• Like 2

On 7/29/2021 at 5:43 PM, Bustronaut said:

I'm sorry, they pushed the movie back 5 times to avoid this, and now there's like 20 MCU movies coming out in the next year because of it.  If she really had no idea until a month after it underperformed then I feel bad for other people involved in whatever other financial decisions she's made.

Exactly what bad financial decision did she make here?  She (apparently) signed a contract for a theater-only release.  And Marvel didn't honor that.  Exactly how is that *her* financial decision?

• Like 1