DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Movies - 2021

On 6/11/2021 at 8:55 PM, Control said:

Rewatching them, you just realize how many people you’ve forgotten. Like, Chris O’Dowd is in the MCU.

I was watching Dr. Strange yesterday and had forgot that Michael Stuhlbarg is in it.  Rachel McAdams, too.

55 minutes ago, Control said:

It’s a shame there’s no Ruffalo solo Hulk film. You’d think they’d have enough confidence in him and the brand at this point.

Presumably they'd like to have done one of these at some point, but Universal owning the distribution rights to solo Hulk films threw a wrench into any such plans. Here's Ruffalo with some slightly pointed remarks directed at Universal.

Some people were speculating last year that Marvel had acquired those rights, but I'm not sure if there's solid reporting on that. 

• Like 1

On 6/14/2021 at 9:26 PM, John from Cincinnati said:

Presumably they'd like to have done one of these at some point, but Universal owning the distribution rights to solo Hulk films threw a wrench into any such plans. Here's Ruffalo with some slightly pointed remarks directed at Universal.

Some people were speculating last year that Marvel had acquired those rights, but I'm not sure if there's solid reporting on that. 

Yeah, Universal was the fly in the ointment and now that Marvel have made Hulk a cripple, it's not likely there will be a solo Hulk movie from here on out.  I'm still hopeful that the She-Hulk series will be so tremendous that it will pick up the slack.

MCU really should've pulled the trigger on the Leader tease from The Incredible Hulk and paid Tim Blake Nelson tons of money to chew on scenery.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler is in regards to a scene from the trailer.

Spoiler

Abomination's first appearance since The Incredible Hulk (2008). 13 years.  Reminds me of the time between General Ross in that film to Captain America: Civil War (2016), 8 years.

By the time Endgame came around, I was having some Marvel burnout.  Now, it was my own fault.  I spent like a year watching every single youtube video breaking down trailers and theories about what would happen in the movie, etc.  I was very happy with the movie, but I was ready for a break.  I didn't think I'd get as long of a break as I did, but it was needed for me.

I think it was cool following along to the first phases of the MCU because we sort of knew where it was going, but not how we'd get there.  Like, we knew it was leading up to war with Thanos and collecting the stones and probably the snap, but I didn't have any idea how they'd pull that all off.

I'm excited for more movies now.  It's mostly because I have no clue where these next phases are going to go.  That's fun to me. 

Spoiler

Now, they're doing things like having Abomination, a character I really didn't think we'd see again, popping up in the Shang Chi trailer of all places.  That's cool.  It kind of gives me a "nothing is out of bounds" vibe for this next phase.

I figure that by the end of this year, we'll have some sort of idea where things are going.  We'll have Black Widow, Shang Chi, The Eternals and Spiderman all having been released.  I'd have to assume there will be some big things in the post-credit scenes for these movies.  I just like being in this time where we just don't know where it's all leading.  

• Like 1

It was in the trailer. I don't think you need to spoiler it.

The bigger wow moment for me in that trailer was seeing, presumably, Fin Fang Foom. Like, I know we've seen a lot of wild shit in these movies, like Ego of all things, but I never thought Fin Fang Foom would be on screen.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Craig H said:

It was in the trailer. I don't think you need to spoiler it.

The bigger wow moment for me in that trailer was seeing, presumably, Fin Fang Foom. Like, I know we've seen a lot of wild shit in these movies, like Ego of all things, but I never thought Fin Fang Foom would be on screen.

Keep in mind that there was one, very brief moment in all of GOTG2 where we saw Ego in his more comics-accurate form.

• Like 1

I originally spoilered it because I hadn’t seen confirmation that’s who it was yet, and since it isn’t obvious from the trailer, I thought some people might want to avoid it.  

That said, I saw some speculation that it looked like Wong fighting him, but some people also thought one of the Eternals was also wrong so, :shrugs:.

Seems as good a place as any to throw in Deadpool, except that then creates the problem of EVERYONE talking more about Deadpool appearing for all of 5 seconds to say something snarking and nothing about the movie itself.

Unless there's some kind of rights issue with the name, it would be weird to introduce a giant, Eastern-style dragon in a Marvel universe and not have it be Triple F.  Doesn't mean they won't do it, but it'd be weird.

22 minutes ago, Casey said:

The toys that have already been released call that dragon the “great protector”. Doesn’t mean it’s NOT Fing Fang Foom either, but there ya go.

That toy doesn’t even have underpants, so clearly it isn’t FFF.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Unless there's some kind of rights issue with the name, it would be weird to introduce a giant, Eastern-style dragon in a Marvel universe and not have it be Triple F.  Doesn't mean they won't do it, but it'd be weird.

But FFF is an alien. Or used to be.

maybe its Great Plan? 

On 6/25/2021 at 10:31 AM, Bustronaut said:

Of all the thing I'm a little sad they made the Mandarin's rings into generic blue tech bangles.

I don't think they're tech based, and I'm pretty sure they're basing them off of the metal ring weights used in Hung Gar martial arts.