DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Movies - 2021

So we’re going to get a mutant that can transform into a bear, and another Widow with a hammer and sickle tattoo on her face?

[X] DOUBT

But my god I want it to be true.

Here is what he wrote (to go along with his movie poster)

Ursa, Yelena, Nat, CD, Sputnik, I and all the rest of the winter guard look forward to sharing a popcorn bag and a big ole screen in a dark theater with ya on July 9? #blackwidow #redguardian

Most likely they will just be referenced and not actually appear

But as the meme goes "so you are saying there is a chance"

10 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Ursa Major could be the breakout character in the movie, especially to specific demographics. ?

I hope the CGI for the character is better than the stuff in the shitty Russian superhero movie knock-off, Guardians.

Guardians-e1460749384306.jpg

• Haha 3

So, Chloe Zhao, the director for Eternals, just won an Oscar.  This makes me feel a bit better about the movie, but I think I am also still a little bitter about Ava DuVernay and New Gods getting the axe.

• Like 1

Disney CEO Bob Chapek said that Shang-Chi (along with the non-Marvel movie Free Guy) will both be following the "45 days exclusively in the theaters" before hitting steaming services model

On 5/13/2021 at 4:01 PM, Control said:

The MCU is always looking for ways to get two superheroes to fight, and Iron Man 2 offers perhaps the silliest: Rhodey becomes War Machine to stop Tony from having a party.

Heroes gotta fight one another because most of the villains ain’t shit. ? 

And Tony peed inside the suit. That kind of disrespect needs to be answered!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Casey said:

Good lord man that was almost three weeks ago ?

Well, we've all shown a bit of concern about whether or not Eternals was going to be decent and this has alleviated my concerns.

And I really don't give a shit about watching the Oscars.

Edited by J.T.

3 hours ago, Casey said:

Apparently Mads Mikkelsen's Kaecilius is coming back for Multiverse of Madness, according to Indiewire.

Supposedly Ghost Rider will at least make a cameo, which makes sense of Nightmare turns out to a villain.

18 hours ago, Casey said:

Apparently Mads Mikkelsen's Kaecilius is coming back for Multiverse of Madness, according to Indiewire.

It's still extremely distressing that they wasted Mads Mikkelsen on a villain as mid as Kaecilius.

18 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

Supposedly Ghost Rider will at least make a cameo, which makes sense of Nightmare turns out to a villain.

And I guess it's going to be Johnny Blaze, so still a slim chance they have not re-conned the TV version of Robbie Reyes. 

3 hours ago, Zimbra said:

It's still extremely distressing that they wasted Mads Mikkelsen on a villain as mid as Kaecilius.

"Mid" is overstating his importance IMO. I consider myself a Marvel nerd, and I didn't even recognize the name as a pre-existing character. (Though I've never read classic Dr. Strange.)

2 hours ago, tbarrie said:

"Mid" is overstating his importance IMO. I consider myself a Marvel nerd, and I didn't even recognize the name as a pre-existing character. (Though I've never read classic Dr. Strange.)

He's a random Mordo goon with a fairly memorable costume. Not as in it's a great costume, but you'd recognize it if you knew it.

• 2 weeks later...

Man, there's a lot to unpack with that trailer, but of course my mind goes to wondering why Wong is there at the end, followed by wondering what's up with where this falls in the timeline because I thought this was supposed to be before much of anything.

Nothing says they have to be adapting an existing storyline, though. Heck, most of the Marvel movies have been original stories, and the ones that weren't were generally very loose adaptations.

9 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

Nothing says they have to be adapting an existing storyline, though.

I guess my point was that I have never found The Eternals to be a particularly interesting comic book property so it would take a pretty engaging (and preferably familiar) story to get me to go and see the movie.  Dreaming Celestial saga might be a good jump-off since Marvel has excelled at integrating their "in space" stuff into the MCU.

Either that or hazard an original story for the first film and save Dreaming Celestial for a sequel if this movie doesn't collapse under its own weight.  I will just trust that Chloé Zhao has got this and wait to see how this turns out.

Edited by J.T.

Yeah, no one's excited about Eternals the movie because they love the marvel comic book characters, the Eternals, even if they maybe really like Sersi in Harras' Avengers run for pure nostalgia reasons or what not. People are excited due to the director/cast/possibilities/scope, etc, and even the idea that it's not boxed in by a lot of preconceived notions and marks that they have to it. It could be virtually anything based on the very broad idea that there are these immortal beings of great power that mortals have traditionally misunderstood to be more traditional gods.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I guess my point was that I have never found The Eternals to be a particularly interesting comic book property [...]

Fair enough. I think it's a fine concept, but like a lot of pundits, I think it was a mistake to integrate them into the Marvel Universe. The concept is a bit weird in a universe where the actual Greek Gods also exist. It makes them seem redundant.

I suspect the MCU will avoid that mistake, though. They've established that the Norse "gods" are actually sufficiently advanced aliens, but they haven't touched the question of whether other old gods exist in any form yet. So the Eternals can actually be what they're supposed to be: the beings that inspired the Greek myths.