DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Movies - 2021

Everything they presented in the Investor's Day meeting back in December is Phase 4. All the movies talked about there were present in that sizzle reel the other day, so I'd say yes - Fantastic Four is probably the finale of the phase. Which is appropriate. I mean, there's absolutely no way Kang the fucking Conqueror is just going to be a throwaway villain for an Ant-Man movie, I'm sorry.

• Like 1

Bautista announced that Guardians 3 will be the last time he plays Drax as its the last movie on his Marvel contract

He followed up to say that Drax could continue, he just won't do it (also chalking it up to age as he noted he will be 54 when Guardians 3 comes out)

He also stated that James Gunn had an idea for a Drax/Mantis movie but apparently it never took off.

James Gunn responded basically saying that - to him at least - no one else but Bautista would play Drax

Looks like they're leaning more into the comedy parts of Venom, which were the best parts of that movie. The main problem I had with Venom was anything involving the plot with Riz Ahmed. So if this has all of the goofy shit with Venom and Eddie and the Carnage stuff winds up being better than the Riz Ahmed stuff, then I don't see how this would be worse.

I guess I'm looking forward to seeing it, but my hopes aren't high that they'll organically replicate the funny stuff with Eddie and Venom. My concern is that it will wind up like a lot of comedies where the sequel can't organically replicate what was funny and they instead drive the humor into the ground.

Well, the first movie was essentially a bad movie that happened to be saved when Hardy realized he was in a shit movie and decided to embrace the absurdity of it and delivered an over-the-top, campy performance the likes of which you typically don’t see in these types of movies anymore.  You’re essentially watching a star hijack a movie and turn it into something interesting by force of will.

If you turn the movie into a straight-up, campy comedy, you lose the subversiveness that made the first one so immensely watchable (if not actually *good*).

Edited by EVA
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, EVA said:

Well, the first movie was essentially a bad movie that happened to be saved when Hardy realized he was in a shit movie and decided to embrace the absurdity of it and delivered an over-the-top, campy performance the likes of which you typically don’t see in these types of movies anymore.  You’re essentially watching a star hijack a movie and turn it into something interesting by force of will.

If you turn the movie into a straight-up, campy comedy, you lose the subversiveness that made the first one so immensely watchable (if not actually *good*).

This is a better way of getting to what I was talking about and why I'm worried that the people making the sequel could say, hey, all of this wacky stuff with Eddie and Venom was hilarious, let's do more of that when they should probably just let Hardy run all of the comedic elements.

If there are two Marvel properties that need to be rated R, it’s this and Blade. How you’re gonna do a villain like Carnage with a PG13 rating… I just don’t know.

There’s a split second shot of a newspaper supposedly mentioning the Avengers. It’s hard to see but it’s there. So that’s something.

It makes sense for Batista to be done with Drax and for Drax to be done in general after GotG Vol. 3. There's nothing left for him to prove. Thanos murdered his family and now Thanos is dead. I do hope they explore that point with Drax and it's hard to imagine James Gunn not exploring that. 

Same goes for Gamora and Nebula too I suppose. 

2 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I mean their Gamora is dead so I wouldn't expect much there.

Eh, other timeline Gamora was still ready to turn on Thanos and knew he was a piece of shit. The main different with this Gamora is that she hasn't had the years building a relationship with Peter and the rest, but she still spent years wanting Thanos dead.

24 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Eh, other timeline Gamora was still ready to turn on Thanos and knew he was a piece of shit. The main different with this Gamora is that she hasn't had the years building a relationship with Peter and the rest, but she still spent years wanting Thanos dead.

Uhm, she didn't stay with them. She went back to her reality at the end of Endgame. 

• Like 1

Just now, Eivion said:

Uhm, she didn't stay with them. She went back to her reality at the end of Endgame. 

I don't think we know what happened to alt-Gamora.  The last we see is Star Lord scanning for her and not finding anything.  So presumably she either went out on her own or got snapped with the rest of the Thanos crew, but they left it ambiguous.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Eivion said:

9 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

I think Woody Harrelson is more than capable of pulling off good camp.

We don’t know where alt-Gamora went, and I’m not sure how she would even be able to return to her own timeline once Thanos was defeated.

This right here.

What would make you think she went back to her reality when she would have no way of doing so? She didn't have access to any of the time travel tech. My best guess is she hopped on a ship and took off. I also doubt she was snapped considering she wasn't part of Thanos' army, she fought with the good guys, and they didn't show her turning to dust. 

If they actually have all three Spider-Men in the next one, then I’m very interested in seeing that. The next Dr. Strange too. And I guess Thor, to see what Taiki does next.

Not a movie, but I want to see Ms. Marvel more than any other TV show or movie.

On 5/3/2021 at 11:36 AM, The Natural said:

Which three Marvel Phase Four movies do you want to see more than the rest?

3. Shang-Chi / Ten Rings.

2. Blade

1. Spider-Man: No Way Home.

3. Eternals: It's so out there and weird and different. It could be anything.

2: Dr. Strange: Raimi has his limitations as a director but again, I think the ideas will be big and interesting.

3. Thor: Who the hell knows, right?

I feel like Black Widow and Blade will be the most mundane. If they had gone with the Blade And Daughter idea that was proposed at some point, that would interest me more.

23 hours ago, Casey said:

If there are two Marvel properties that need to be rated R, it’s this and Blade. How you’re gonna do a villain like Carnage with a PG13 rating… I just don’t know.

You'd think they couldn't fuck this up. I mean the villain is a psychopathic serial killer and the HERO is a reformed psychopathic serial killer, who takes a look at that and says "this needs more broad physical comedy"? You already did Deadpool, do something really dark for a change. You know kids can get more graphic violence on free TV than in a theater anymore, right?