DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Movies - 2021

Finally! Looks pretty rad. This will be my first MCU movie where I know little to nothing about anyone in it. Feels kind of cool in a way to go in this blind.

Also, man, Awkwafina is everywhere.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

Finally! Looks pretty rad. This will be my first MCU movie where I know little to nothing about anyone in it. Feels kind of cool in a way to go in this blind.

Also, man, Awkwafina is everywhere.

I'll be the same. Know very little about Shang-Chi but a little bit more about Eternals. Guardians of the Galaxy was also new to me.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Clearly Marvel reads the board

1 hour ago, Bustronaut said:

I said it on Twitter too.  Influencer!

I wish Simu Liu didn't look bored in everything to do with the movie.

See, I told you.  You mother fuckers worry too much.

Someone finally made the call to push the movie back to September and poof, we have a trailer.... that's probably been sitting in a can since December.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

I'll be the same. Know very little about Shang-Chi but a little bit more about Eternals. Guardians of the Galaxy was also new to me.

I collected Master of Kung-Fu comics way back in the day when Marvel owned the licenses to the Fu Manchu IP.  Even though Marvel has swapped out The Mandarin for Fu Manchu, Chi seems to have kept his role as defector, but he's gone rogue from the Ten Rings rather than the Si-Fan, Fu Manchu's elite assassins. 

I think I recognized Razor Fist in the trailer and I guess we'll see if Marvel uses any of the original MoKF villains they created like Mordillo, Shaka Kharn, or Midnight. 

Since they don't own the Fu Manchu IP license anymore, Marvel can't use the Si-Fan or Fah Lo-Sue, Fu Manchu's daughter in the novels by Sax Rohmer and and half-sister in the comics. 

I suspect that Shang Chi will still end up having a sister that serves The Mandarin.  That's too good of a plot angle to pass up.  She's probably one of the female fighters in the trailer.

I look forward to the Trevor Slattery cameo.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

On 4/16/2021 at 4:00 PM, Eivion said:

I thought Eternals was happening more because Marvel TV/Perlmutter fucked up Inhumans.

I have no idea why Eternals got greenlit, but iirc, the deal with Inhumans was that Perlmutter, and only Perlmutter, wanted to push them hard to replace X-Men. There was going to be a movie, but when Disney cut out the infighting, they left Perlmutter publishing and TV, and gave Feige full control on the film division, and the Inhumans vanished from the schedule.

So then Ike got Loeb to do that TV show disaster.

And no one ever cared about the fucking Inhumans.

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Like 1

Man, they shouldn't have given away that bus sequence at the end of the trailer. That one shot with the girl falling out of the window would've been fucking intense on a big screen... Otherwise I am psyched ?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I have no idea why Eternals got greenlit, but iirc, the deal with Inhumans was that Perlmutter, and only Perlmutter, wanted to push them hard to replace X-Men. There was going to be a movie, but when Disney cut out the infighting, they left Perlmutter publishing and TV, and gave Feige full control on the film division, and the Inhumans vanished from the schedule.

So then Ike got Loeb to do that TV show disaster.

And no one ever cared about the fucking Inhumans.

I hated how Marvel both in the comics and on TV tried to get Inhumans over, to replace the X-Men. Thank God it didn't take. From what I've experienced of Inhumans, does very little for me. Liked the second season of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D dealing with it and Ms. Marvel. That's it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

2022 is going to be fucking amazing for comic book movies. I really wish it was this year because it's much better than what we're getting in 2021. I mean, look:

The Batman.

The Flash.

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 2.

Thor: Love and Thunder.

Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness.

Black Panther II.

Aquaman 2.

Black Adam.

Morbius. Less said about that, the better.

rg&pid=ImgDet&dpr=1.33

Still my #1 choice for Victor von Doom/Doctor Doom, Mads Mikkelsen. Doctor Doom wears a mask and to show the scarring, make up will be there. Hell retcon Kaecilius from Doctor Strange escaping the dark dimension, Kaecilius was his sect name while his real name is Doctor Doom if you must. I just want Doctor Doom to get the great treatment that the Joker (minus Jared Leto), Loki and Thanos got. Doctor Doom should be the next Big Bad.

Thoughts?

Disney and Sony have come to an agreement that’ll see the Spider-Man movies and the ones in that universe, like Venom and whatnot, be put on Disney+. They’ll go to Netflix first, then after that window has closed they’ll find a home on Disney+.

It also extends to every Sony movie up until 2026, where they’ll go on various Disney channels and services like Hulu.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Casey said:

Venom is PG13, just like the MCU movies?

Venom was a 15 certificate in the UK. Still find it funny that the post-credits scene was a sequence from the excellent Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse.

I should also clarify that this deal is strictly for the United States.

This probably opens the door for live-action D+ shows featuring Spider-Man characters, too. Seems like Sony has chosen their side in the streaming wars, picking Netflix for the post-theatreical release window (18 months, then off to D+/Hulu) and the library of older content (original Raimi trilogy, stuff like Ghostbusters, etc) being put on D+ or Hulu as soon as June. I'm glad they aren't opening their own service (yet, anyway).

On 3/29/2021 at 1:24 PM, Casey said:

Supposedly just a cameo/minor role - so I’d bet on a God, like Zeus or something.

And today Russell Crowe confirmed that he’s playing Zeus in the new Thor.

• Like 3

maxresdefault.jpg

Beta Ray Bill Easter Egg in Thor: Ragnarok. If you had the choice of Beta Ray Bill or Jane Foster Thor in Thor: God of Thunder, I'd pick Beta Ray Bill and this is coming from someone who thought her time as the Goddess of Thunder was great. I just prefer Beta Ray Bill, he debuted in what I hold to be the best Thor story ever in The Ballad of Beta Ray Bill: Thor #337-340 which started Walter Simonson's great run on the book. The characters backstory, what he put himself through to protect his race and worthy not only of picking up Mjolnir but getting his own hammer, Stormbreaker. I do hope we'll get Beta Ray Bill ASAP.

• Like 1

So I'm assuming you all have noticed that Wenwu does not have the Mandarin's traditional power rings from the comics.  It looks like the Ten Rings are the Chi Sau bands he wears around his forearms and I am guessing that the blue glow emitted by the bands is Wenwu charging up some sort of Dragon Ball Z special ability.

I think I will be good with this as long as he has wacky powers like Lo Pan, Lord Conquer, The Battle Wizard, or any the other Kung Fu = Magic villains of yore.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3