DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Movies - 2021

As I said before, it's getting WAY too confusing to separate the Marvel movies now as F4 and X-Men are at home with the mouse, I'm sure Spidey will be there too soon enough.  

Anyway, it all goes here now. 

The TENTATIVE 2021 schedule:

May 7 – Black Widow 
July 9  – Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings 
November 5 – Eternals 
December 17 – Spider-Man 3 

--

I'll just say that May 7th is... optimistic.  ? 

• Like 2

Yeah, we've had that not knowing which of the threads to use for Spider-Man when shared by Sony Pictures/Marvel Studios. Least X-Men and Fantastic Four settled with the Mouse acquiring them.

I'm interested in two MCU movies, Black Widow and Spider-Man 3. For Black Widow, she should have one or two solo films by now.

Spider-Man 3 and Spider-Man: Far From Home spoiler...

Spoiler

I'd rather have Kraven the Hunter brought in to capture Peter Parker as the world knows he's Spider-Man with Charlie Cox's Matt Murdock/Daredevil to a live action Spider-Verse film with Maguire and Garfield coming back. Like that Alfred Molina's Doctor Octopus is back though. I want Williem Dafoe back as the Green Goblin in a better costume and the two Big Bads in Spider-Man's rogues gallery in a movie for the first time. Might Emma Stone debut as Spider-Gwen? Really hope it's true that Charlie Cox shows up, he's perfect in the part.

Only draw to me for Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings is seeing THE Mandarin. Iron Man 3's twist still pisses me off. We've all seen it but for those who haven't and not to make this post bigger.

Spoiler

You had a perfect Mandarin in Sir. Ben Kingsley revisioned as a global terrorist in the trailers and the first half of Iron Man 3...till it's revealed he's an actor playing the part created by Killian. You then tread old ground again that it's a businessman with a grudge against Tony Stark. Killian is such a step down. I still rematch the Iron Man 3 trailers to get a Mandarin fix:

Stupid move.

I know next to nothing about Eternals.

Edited by The Natural

Avengers: Endgame was FINALLY on TV so I got to see it, due to the luck I had that Disney's deathgrip slackened enough for it to be on television for free in the first place. But anyway. It was really good. As I've said I have no investment in the MCU despite always being a Marvel kid, but when the movies are good, they're great. This might've been the best one just because of the amount of open sorrow and interpersonal humor. Certainly opening with Hawkeye's family vanishing was the best choice, very strong and equaling the gravitas of the end of the previous film. (Do I get cancelled over a spoiler still? haha) Excellent, excellent acting from everyone in this film, and it felt intimate enough that it could breathe instead of just getting ran over by a digital tank. 

• Like 2

Looking forward to Spider-Man 3. Black Widow is something I will enjoy, but feel is coming several years too late. The others I'm mostly curious about since I don;t have a strong familiarity with the characters. 

On 1/2/2021 at 11:53 PM, The Natural said:

Only draw to me for Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings is seeing THE Mandarin. Iron Man 3's twist still pisses me off. W

I still love twist. It was unexpected., Ben Kingsley was so damn fun in the role, and it circumvented whitewashing a Chinese character.

• Like 1

Black Widow is still my most anticipated MCU movie. I'm mildly interested with the Eternals and how that's going to shake out. Shang-Chi should be interesting if it's done right, but man do I love Simu Liu (I've been binging Kim's Convenience lately - it's on Netflix). Spider-Man 3 is going to be bonkers if all the rumors are true, and WandaVision starting the multiverse trilogy, and the Dr. Strange sequel finishing it off will be pretty dope I think.

I think @The Naturalbrought this up in the DC thread, about the drop-off, quality wise, in between sequels, and he mentioned Iron Man 1 to Iron Man 2. I re-watched both of these back to back Friday morning/later that night, and I still stand behind the sequel being pretty damn good (I could have done without Mickey Rourke's Whiplash getting his own suit, but whatever). Now, Iron Man 3 is where, IMO, the drop-off happens. The only part of that movie I like is Kingsley's Mandarin before the twist - shit was fucking CHILLING. But everything else in that movie I can do without. Never thought I'd see an MCU movie mainly set in Tennessee, though. That's weird.

• Like 2

On 1/2/2021 at 9:53 PM, The Natural said:

Yeah, we've had that not knowing which of the threads to use for Spider-Man when shared by Sony Pictures/Marvel Studios. Least X-Men and Fantastic Four settled with the Mouse acquiring them.

I'm interested in two MCU movies, Black Widow and Spider-Man 3. For Black Widow, she should have one or two solo films by now.

Spider-Man 3 and Spider-Man: Far From Home spoiler...

Reveal hidden contents

I'd rather have Kraven the Hunter brought in to capture Peter Parker as the world knows he's Spider-Man with Charlie Cox's Matt Murdock/Daredevil to a live action Spider-Verse film with Maguire and Garfield coming back. Like that Alfred Molina's Doctor Octopus is back though. I want Williem Dafoe back as the Green Goblin in a better costume and the two Big Bads in Spider-Man's rogues gallery in a movie for the first time. Might Emma Stone debut as Spider-Gwen? Really hope it's true that Charlie Cox shows up, he's perfect in the part.

Only draw to me for Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings is seeing THE Mandarin. Iron Man 3's twist still pisses me off. We've all seen it but for those who haven't and not to make this post bigger.

Reveal hidden contents

You had a perfect Mandarin in Sir. Ben Kingsley revisioned as a global terrorist in the trailers and the first half of Iron Man 3...till it's revealed he's an actor playing the part created by Killian. You then tread old ground again that it's a businessman with a grudge against Tony Stark. Killian is such a step down. I still rematch the Iron Man 3 trailers to get a Mandarin fix:

Stupid move.

I know next to nothing about Eternals.

I was disappointed with Iron Man 3 as well, but Shane Black thought Mandarin was a racist stereotype, and Marvel likely wanted to avoid being called non-PC considering Mandarin was originally created as a yellow peril villain. 

Him being a villain or antagonist in this film with an Asian superhero at the forefront will likely soften those complaints. Or maybe he won't even be the true villain at all. Marvel does like to throw curveballs a lot with antagonists in these films. 

• Like 1

On 1/4/2021 at 10:07 AM, Eivion said:

Looking forward to Spider-Man 3. Black Widow is something I will enjoy, but feel is coming several years too late. The others I'm mostly curious about since I don;t have a strong familiarity with the characters. 

I still love twist. It was unexpected., Ben Kingsley was so damn fun in the role, and it circumvented whitewashing a Chinese character.

Good it did for you what it didn't to me. I thought Marvel Studios revamp as the Mandarin as the leader of a terrorist cell avoided the problems of the Mandarin stereotype in the book and the magic rings. Wish we had an entire movie of the Mandarin as seen in the trailers and the first half of Iron Man 3.

On 1/4/2021 at 10:33 AM, Casey said:

Black Widow is still my most anticipated MCU movie. I'm mildly interested with the Eternals and how that's going to shake out. Shang-Chi should be interesting if it's done right, but man do I love Simu Liu (I've been binging Kim's Convenience lately - it's on Netflix). Spider-Man 3 is going to be bonkers if all the rumors are true, and WandaVision starting the multiverse trilogy, and the Dr. Strange sequel finishing it off will be pretty dope I think.

I think @The Naturalbrought this up in the DC thread, about the drop-off, quality wise, in between sequels, and he mentioned Iron Man 1 to Iron Man 2. I re-watched both of these back to back Friday morning/later that night, and I still stand behind the sequel being pretty damn good (I could have done without Mickey Rourke's Whiplash getting his own suit, but whatever). Now, Iron Man 3 is where, IMO, the drop-off happens. The only part of that movie I like is Kingsley's Mandarin before the twist - shit was fucking CHILLING. But everything else in that movie I can do without. Never thought I'd see an MCU movie mainly set in Tennessee, though. That's weird.

That was me, @Casey. With you on Iron Man 3. What a waste. My favourite Iron Man 2 was Black Widow's debut especially her first seen acting as a would be assistant for Tony Stark and doing what she did to Happy Hogan:

On 1/4/2021 at 1:12 PM, TheVileOne said:

I was disappointed with Iron Man 3 as well, but Shane Black thought Mandarin was a racist stereotype, and Marvel likely wanted to avoid being called non-PC considering Mandarin was originally created as a yellow peril villain. 

Him being a villain or antagonist in this film with an Asian superhero at the forefront will likely soften those complaints. Or maybe he won't even be the true villain at all. Marvel does like to throw curveballs a lot with antagonists in these films. 

I think Marvel Studios got around it by making The Mandarin what he was before THAT twist. The movie sucked as well for Tony Stark making crappy suits and the PTSD needed to be played more seriously. It's a shame Maya Hansen wasn't going to be the villain to go with the Mandarin but things changed. I find Shane Black overrated.

I'm re-watching Captain Marvel right now and this movie really got way too much hate. It's not nearly as bad as people want to make it out to be. Bad as The Dark World or Iron Man 3? Absolutely not. Good as Winter Soldier or Iron Man 1 or whatever else? Probably not. It's mid-tier at best, but it's certainly not BAD.

My only complaint is that the CGI when she puts on the mohawk helmet thing is kinda wonky. Infinity War had the same problem with certain things (Banner in the Hulkbuster armor, chiefly among them). Brie Larson can be a little wooden at times, but she's not anywhere as bad as, say, Keanu Reeves (sorry Keanu fans).

I've never done this before, but I think I'm going to do Infinity War/Endgame back to back next.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, JonnyLaw said:

I thought Deadpool would be integrated into the MCU with the popularity of both. Rated R is a pleasant surprise.

49 minutes ago, Casey said:

I'm re-watching Captain Marvel right now and this movie really got way too much hate. It's not nearly as bad as people want to make it out to be. Bad as The Dark World or Iron Man 3? Absolutely not. Good as Winter Soldier or Iron Man 1 or whatever else? Probably not. It's mid-tier at best, but it's certainly not BAD.

My only complaint is that the CGI when she puts on the mohawk helmet thing is kinda wonky. Infinity War had the same problem with certain things (Banner in the Hulkbuster armor, chiefly among them). Brie Larson can be a little wooden at times, but she's not anywhere as bad as, say, Keanu Reeves (sorry Keanu fans).

I've never done this before, but I think I'm going to do Infinity War/Endgame back to back next.

I liked Captain Marvel more second time round. Still not sold on Brie Larson yet. Still think the movie is middle to lower tier in the 23 MCU movies. I'd take the following over in this order:

Spoiler

1. Avengers Assemble (2012).

2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014).

3. Captain America: Civil War (2016).

4. Iron Man (2008).

5. Avengers: Infinity War (2018).

6. Avengers: Endgame (2019).

7. Thor: Ragnarok (2017).

8. Captain America: The First Avenger (2011).

9. Black Panther (2018).

10. Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017).

11. Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019).

12. Thor (2011).

13. Doctor Strange (2016).

14. Ant-Man (2015).

15. Guardians of the Galaxy (2014).

Edited by The Natural

Nice to finally get official word on Deadpool 3 being in the works.

10 hours ago, Casey said:

The dislike I see for Captain Marvel seems to be directed more at Brie Larson than anything else. I think she said some shit that pissed people off at the time, and they never really got over it. Its not a strong film, but its perfectly ok and watchable. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

I think some of it was not getting classic Mar-Vell, whether it was Jude or someone else. And turning the Skrulls babyface. 

Never got the Skrulls complaint. It was just this specific group. The rest had been scattered around the galaxy with us knowing nothing about them.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Eivion said:

Nice to finally get official word on Deadpool 3 being in the works.

The dislike I see for Captain Marvel seems to be directed more at Brie Larson than anything else. I think she said some shit that pissed people off at the time, and they never really got over it. Its not a strong film, but its perfectly ok and watchable. 

She was doing a round of interviews, and at one point one of the journalists interviewing her was female, and she happened to say that it was nice to see a fellow woman for once. Which the manosphere immediately translated into "Brie Larson calls for all male journalists to be fired immediately and for a complete feminist lesbian takeover of everything ever Waaa Waaa incel virgin et cetera".

• Like 8

9 hours ago, The Natural said:

I think Black Widow will be pushed back again. At some point will Disney say enough and stick it on Disney+? Feels like things are getting even worse with the coronavirus pandemic and it was terrible before.

Seriously.  We're not getting movie theaters back for a while.  Definitely not May.  Disney needs to just cut bait and stream it.  I'd pay $30 for it.

• Like 3

I loved Captain Marvel. It has a little bit of a slow start, like the first 1/3 is slow, the middle is pretty good, and the ending I think is great. The Just a Girl sequence is one of my favorites made especially so because before the movie came out I had put together a mix of mostly kid friendly punk and ska type shit for my daughter. Some radio friendly stuff, some stuff never to make the radio. Just a Girl was one of those songs that my daughter liked and she lit up for that part.

I liked the swerve where the Skrulls were shown as an oppressed race that the Kree were trying to wipe out. Fuck the Kree.

Ben Mendelsohn is great, but he's great in nearly everything. He was especially charming in this though.

• Like 2

Avengers: Endgame (2019). What would have happened if it was supposed to come out last year, the year of the coronavirus pandemic? I don't think it would be released in the cinemas or Disney+ so we'd have such a wait to see how THAT ending in Avengers: Infinity War (2018) would be undone. Three years and possibly even longer as things ain't getting better.

Edited by The Natural

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

I liked the swerve where the Skrulls were shown as an oppressed race that the Kree were trying to wipe out. Fuck the Kree.

Was that a swerve? From what I recall reading when looking up Marvel cosmic stuff years ago the Kree were the initial oppressors in the Kree/Skrull conflict. They only became even later on.

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Ben Mendelsohn is great, but he's great in nearly everything. He was especially charming in this though.

I love his few appearances in Marvel so far. I was so damn happy to see his name pop up for the Secret Invasion series with Fury.

My 3-year-old son has been on an Endgame kick lately.  He mostly just wants to see the big battle at the end.  Then, we have to spend the next few days discussing why Iron Man "didn't make it" (his term for someone dying in a movie).  Like, we'll be in the car on the way home from school and he'll be quiet for a while then, "Daddy, I need to ask you something."  Ok, what?  "Why Iron Man didn't make it?" Well, he did he snap with the stones.  "Yeah, and that hurts really bad."  Yep.  "It even hurt Hulk!" Yeah, buddy.  "Daddy, why Iron Man didn't make it?" Rinse, repeat.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Log said:

My 3-year-old son has been on an Endgame kick lately.  He mostly just wants to see the big battle at the end.  Then, we have to spend the next few days discussing why Iron Man "didn't make it" (his term for someone dying in a movie).  Like, we'll be in the car on the way home from school and he'll be quiet for a while then, "Daddy, I need to ask you something."  Ok, what?  "Why Iron Man didn't make it?" Well, he did he snap with the stones.  "Yeah, and that hurts really bad."  Yep.  "It even hurt Hulk!" Yeah, buddy.  "Daddy, why Iron Man didn't make it?" Rinse, repeat.

LOL as the father of a five year old, I can relate.  "You know you've asked that exact question like 50 times?" doesn't really work, either.

As awesome as that battle is, the Ant Man editing mistake was pretty egregious.  No idea why someone didn't George Lucas it before putting it on Disney+

• Like 3