DVDVR Message Board

Marvel TV - 2021

5 hours ago, The Natural said:

Weird, it was only a week ago that Victoria Alonso said both Hawkeye and Ms. Marvel would premiere in 2021. I don’t see how that can be the case.

7 hours ago, Casey said:

Love the costume, hate that the leak about the powers is turning out to be true. What the fuck.

You get why they're doing it. Having a Robin that turns into an actual bird instead of just being a mini Batman abilities wise makes less sense. It's the path of least resistance since they're leaning into the success of Captain Marvel. "Those brand-minded cowards!" is probably a better response than "What the fuck."

No, I'll go with "what the fuck", thanks. Yet again, you might not think her power set is something that's important, but I'm sorry, it is, and they're just making her yet another person who has energy powers. Kamala Khan is already connected at the hip to Carol, because she idolizes Carol Danvers. I don't see why Carol needs a posse consisting of Kamala and Monica who both now have similar power bases as Carol seemingly.

• Like 3

Power-set matters and they went with a streamlined power-set that ties to the character she's connected to and that was a big marketable success and that's probably a lot easier to film. You get why they did it. The only thing that surprises me about it is that they've already used her in so many other mediums (The Avengers game and Lego Marvel, Marvel Rising cartoons, the new Spider-Man cartoon Disney Junior cartoon, mobile games, toys, etc.) that it's sort of a brand unto itself, so I'm guessing what we're going to hear is that they really couldn't wrap their head around filming it well. But even if that's not the case and it's just a matter of streamlining, I'd buy that too. Thankfully, there's always a million interviews and behind the scenes stories and documentaries on these things so we'll get an answer at least.

4 hours ago, Casey said:

No, I'll go with "what the fuck", thanks. Yet again, you might not think her power set is something that's important, but I'm sorry, it is, and they're just making her yet another person who has energy powers. Kamala Khan is already connected at the hip to Carol, because she idolizes Carol Danvers. I don't see why Carol needs a posse consisting of Kamala and Monica who both now have similar power bases as Carol seemingly.

I'm guessing they didn't want to debut the stretchy body power set before they re-introduced Mr. Fantastic as an official MCU character.

Energy powers are kinda meh from an audience perspective I suppose, but at least Kamala's not a generic flying brick like the original Carol Danvers / Ms. Marvel or Superman or Shaz.... uh......  The DC Captain Marvel.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

I don’t know that I buy that they did it due to a desire to streamline the power sets, particularly since, as Matt mentioned, she’s already appeared in so many other mediums.  I think one of the cool (and relatable to kids) things about Kamala is that she didn’t have similar powers yet still modeled herself after her hero anyway, rather than saying “Hey, I stretch and grow, so I guess I’ll be the Fantastic Giant-Girl!”

My money is still on the rationale being a combo of filming difficulties/D+ budget concerns and not wanting to semi-duplicate Stature’s powers.

Kids today already had their “Optimus Prime dying” moment in Infinity War, now they’re getting their “completely changing up a character’s origin for the movie” moment. At least it will be better than the He-Man movie.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

My money is still on the rationale being a combo of filming difficulties/D+ budget concerns and not wanting to semi-duplicate Stature’s powers.

If it were mere budgetary concerns, then the easiest and most cost effective thing to do arguably would be to make her a flying brick.  No flashy energy bursts or glittery propulsion trails while she is in flight. 

You can re-use the swooshy cape footage of her flying in any episode and handwave away any drastic changes in location with "she can fly from one place to the next really fast."  If you're really being cheap, you don't even include any in transit shots:  she'd just take off from one place -> meanwhile -> she lands in the next place.

Edited by J.T.

I mean, also I'm guessing her powers are going to be similar to Carol's because, you know, Terrigen Mist isn't a thing in the MCU and they're staying away from Inhumans (with good reason considering how horrible the old TV-wing's attempt to make them X-Men replacements was).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Raziel said:

I mean, also I'm guessing her powers are going to be similar to Carol's because, you know, Terrigen Mist isn't a thing in the MCU and they're staying away from Inhumans (with good reason considering how horrible the old TV-wing's attempt to make them X-Men replacements was).

Thank fuck that forced Inhumans push shit the bed.

I'm guessing that any of the embiggen stuff would look like shit on a TV series budget or you'd only see it maybe once or twice when you would have to show that stuff off multiple times.

Honestly, I'm ok with the change and I like how it makes Kamala closer to Carol and Monica. And I also agree with @J.T.that Kamala having embiggen powers kinda steps on what will happen with Reed Richards.

Peggy-Carter-as-Captain-Carter-in-Marvel

Looking forward to Captain Carter as Agent Peggy Carter is in my top ten MCU characters played by Hayley Atwell. There's appearances in Captain America: The First Avenger (2011), Agent Carter Marvel One-Shot (2013), Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014), Agents of SHIELD (2014-2015), Agent Carter (2015-2016), Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015), Ant-Man (2015) Captain America: Civil War (2016), Avengers: Endgame (2019) and Marvel...What If? (2021). Hell give her a brief cameo in Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness (2022).

Edited by The Natural

The budgets for these shows are on par with most of the solo movies. I don’t think budgetary restraints had anything to do with why they may have chosen not to have Ms. Marvel embiggen. If they want to make it happen, they have plenty enough money to make it happen.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, EVA said:

The budgets for these shows are on par with most of the solo movies. I don’t think budgetary restraints had anything to do with why they may have chosen not to have Ms. Marvel embiggen. If they want to make it happen, they have plenty enough money to make it happen.

I agree.  Like I said before, if the fx budget were an issue she'd be a flying brick with the most generic power set imaginable.

So everyone just purged the existence of 3 big budget Fantastic Four movies from their minds, did they? Michael Chiklis spent all that time in make-up for nothing?

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, AxB said:

So everyone just purged the existence of 3 big budget Fantastic Four movies from their minds, did they? Michael Chiklis spent all that time in make-up for nothing?

I think I still have the Denny's menu with the FF tie-ins from we saw the 3rd movie at a drive in. 

I would guess that the majority of people watching the show aren't going to have much knowledge of the comic version of the Ms. Marvel and thus aren't going to notice or mind if the MCU changes her origin or powers.  I've actually given her comic(s) a couple tries and i don't remember much of her backstory.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Moon Knight is trending with an alleged costume leak:

Spoiler

E8rn8oYWUAEM0O2?format=jpg&name=small

I like it, the Egyptian mummified look with the white eyes. Least it'll work out better for Oscar Issac than X-Men: Apocalypse as Apocalypse.

Edited by The Natural

• 2 weeks later...