DVDVR Message Board

Marvel TV - 2021

I've been trying to watch MODOK this week and it's not really hitting for me.  It feels like a Robot Chicken sketch dragged out way too long, which is a shame because there's some nice voice work in it.  I think if they had gone with Adult Swim-type 15 minute episodes it would have been better.

On 7/9/2021 at 3:36 PM, Zimbra said:

I've been trying to watch MODOK this week and it's not really hitting for me.  It feels like a Robot Chicken sketch dragged out way too long, which is a shame because there's some nice voice work in it.  I think if they had gone with Adult Swim-type 15 minute episodes it would have been better.

I'm two episodes in and lack the urge to go back.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2021 at 10:36 AM, Zimbra said:

Agreed.  I went in with fairly high expectations after reading the reviews, and.... yeah, not for me.  Nothing about the premise or the plots lends itself to longer eps.  15 min would have been a better length.  

I'd compare it to Robot Chicken, but, lol, I didn't dislike it that much.

The leaks I've read about Ms. Marvel are worrying, but then again, they're leaks, so there's a high chance of them being fake. But there's also a chance they're legit, and... yikes, if so.

Spoiler

She doesn't do Embiggen. She's not super stretchy or anything. Her powers come from.. a necklace? She has energy powers similar to Captain Marvel.

I'm leaning towards "that's bullshit", but yeah.

Easily my most anticipated show since they announced all of this D+ stuff. I fucking love Kamala Khan. Representation matters.

Edited by Casey

I don’t think any of that is a particular issue. The whole point to her is her heart and personality and worldview, not specific powers or origins. Maybe better to avoid the uncanny valley, the anchor that is Inhumans, and tie her more closely to Carol. So long as they get the heart right, the rest is window dressing.

• Like 1

We’ve been through this before, and I just don’t agree with you *at all* on that. Yeah, the crux of Kamala is her heart and personality, but to change her (pretty iconic, IMO) powers is just crazy to me. I don’t need to see Kamala blast lasers/energy out of her hands, I can watch Carol or Monica or Iron Man or War Machine or Wanda etc etc do that.

I can take or leave the Inhumans origin. If it’s a compelling rewrite of her origin, I’m down for it, but the power set has to stay in my opinion. I’m sure we won’t agree on that, obviously, but it’s where I’m at and I’ll die on that hill.

• Like 1

This may be because I'm from an era where they'd have it so she had no powers and would change her name to Cammi Can and would have someone like Dove Cameron play her. Also they'd potentially give her a younger brother with a skateboard.

• Haha 1

I think I’m somewhere between Matt/Casey. She’s got unique powers, and it would be a bummer to lose those for generic “shoot energy” powers, and I don’t really see (what I think to be) a good reason to make her powers necklace based.

That said, I can absolutely see the special effects for her powers being unmanageable for a TV show, especially if they think it will be a multi-season thing (which wouldn’t surprise me). I think I’d rather have them change her powers than have a LOT situation where Nate rarely uses his powers even in situations where it would clearly make sense.  I can also see them wanting to create more differentiation between her powers and Stature’s when she’s introduced.  As for making her powers necklace based, I can also see them not wanting to wade into the Inhumans stuff, especially since a faithful origin would have to get into the Terrigen Mist stuff. Otherwise, it may seem like she is a mutant, and they may not want to tease that yet. I don’t agree with that, but I can see the argument.

• Like 1

My guess is that it's going to be some sort of Kree type relic or something linked to Carol's powers and that's why they're doing it. They want to keep her consistent with Carol since she's going to be in The Marvels, etc. They want a sidekick with similar powers. The Marvel fan in me says that they should just give her the nega-bands then, but I can see why they wouldn't want more bands in a year with Shang-Chi coming out.

I do think that if they go this route and she's a success as a character, there'll be some point in the next ten years where she at least temporarily gets the Embiggen powers. But they feel like they have to establish her first.

4 hours ago, The Natural said:

Look forward to Ms. Marvel. Don't give a fuck about Hawkeye. Wish the character was killed off already.

I'm just the opposite.  I'm cautiously optimistic about Hawkeye, zero interest in Ms. Marvel.  I'll give Marvel a chance but I've never managed to stick with the comic very long and don't really have any attachment to the character.  Then again, I could say the same about Vision and Scarlet Witch and I really dug that.  Good tv is good tv and Marvel TV's track record so far is very good.  Not as optimistic that all the parts will line up for Ms, Marvel in the same way.

Reports are that Disney nine MCU shows in development for D+, which doesn’t seem as surprising to me as the Twitter reports seem to be treating it. Obviously they’re developing more than they’ve announced thus far.

The reports/rumors also say Ghost Rider, Secret Warriors, and Nova could be among the unannounced series.

1 minute ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Is Tony Dalton supposed to be the main villain for the Hawkeye series? If so, that could be pretty good...

Oooh.  That'd be awesome.  Dude is scary as fuck on Better Call Saul.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

The reports/rumors also say Ghost Rider, Secret Warriors, and Nova could be among the unannounced series.

If they do Nova I really hope its Rider and takes place mostly in space. That said I expect they will go with Sam and connect him to whatever Young Avengers project they have in the works. Taking a guess that Secret Warriors is what Val is putting together in F&WS & Black Widow.

12 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Is Tony Dalton supposed to be the main villain for the Hawkeye series? If so, that could be pretty good...

Everything I've seen points to the Tracksuit Mafia and Clown, but I guess the Swordsman is possible? I'm thinking it's more of a flashback appearance, maybe Echo will be too if they go with her being Ronin first (and if she's a reluctant bad guy in the beginning). But regardless, this show is already filling up with potential villains - Tracksuit Mafia, Clown, Swordsman, maybe even Yelena and Echo (but they come around to the hero side, or whatever).

But, uh... big ol' rumor here...

Spoiler

supposedly Vincent D'Onofrio is returning as Kingpin in Hawkeye and will be in the Echo show on D+

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Was reading an interview with the showrunner of What If? in Total Film. She was saying that she got in a heated argument with Marvel because they wouldn't let her do Jane Foster Thor, Old Man Captain America or Professor Hulk as What If? episodes. Until they told her why she couldn't do them as What Ifs.

• Haha 2

Holy shit. Lalo being the Swordsman would fucking rule. I really, really want that to be the case and I can't wait for anyone who has never watched Better Call Saul to see him.

• Like 1