DVDVR Message Board

DC TV - 2021

8 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

I finally got around to starting Stargirl season 1. Four episodes in, and it’s among the best DC/CW shows so far I think.

Oh yeah, Stargirl is fantastic. Tons of charm and likeable characters. Takes itself *just* serious enough for the important stuff to land.

On 7/7/2021 at 12:41 PM, RandomAct said:

I wouldn't go so far as to say it has saved the season or anything, but the last 3-4 episodes of Flash have been noticeably better than the earlier stuff. I hate to say it, but the lack of Iris has helped.

I don't dislike Iris, but their use of her the past season or two hasn't been especially good. I do agree that this last third of the season has been better than the rest.

On 7/7/2021 at 6:44 PM, Eoae said:

Candice Patton/Iris was my least favorite element of the early seasons.  I can't comment about later seasons.  I haven't watched much of the show the past 3-4 years.

I still don't buy Barry marrying his stepsister (I think Joe adopted him, right?).  I realize the characters aren't related by blood, but they were raised as siblings.  Wife and I thought that was the biggest sour note in a pitch perfect first season.

The Barry/iris relationship is still weird because they went that route. I mean realistically it makes sense that they didn't think of each other as siblings seeing that they were childhood friends and Barry spent years with his actual parents first. Still felt off with Joe raising Barry after his parents death and the two having such a father-son relationship.

Edited by Eivion

16 hours ago, RandomAct said:

It's wild to me that they have taken three swings at doing something with Godspeed, and nothing has really landed. He's a great villain that they seem to have no idea what to do with.

They haven't really pushed him as the big bad so its not shocking. Is he a great villain? I haven't really heard much about him.

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

They haven't really pushed him as the big bad so its not shocking. Is he a great villain? I haven't really heard much about him.

He looks (inthe comics) like Sin Cara, so thats a negative. ?

Re: binging Stargirl

I’m through the Brainwave Jr. episode, and damn, I was not expecting that ending. It’s been fun going back through last year’s thread to read people’s thoughts on it. The only downside for me is how often the kids go off on their on against villains powerful enough to kill the JSA without sustaining any casualties of their own, especially when Midnite was creeping through the evil lair on her own. I was practically yelling “You don’t have any powers and your Google Glasses that actually work as envisioned just stopped working, what are you doing?”  Also this is more of a nitpick, but the kids are able to hang with the villains in fights a bit too much, even though they are pretty much always shown to be outclassed and only escape by getting lucky.

Edited by JonnyLaw

Okay, so I think I'm finally on the anti-Behrad train after this episode of Legends.  He's fine in small doses but not as a the focus of an episode.  It did have a nice ending though.

But that's alright as it seems Flash finally has some focus and Superman and Lois comes back.  So all in all it's not a bad week for DC shows.

Its nice to see Jay back in Flash finally. I had not realized he was officially moved to their Earth after Crisis.

Superman and Lois finally confirmed it does take place in the Arrowverse though it feels odd as it really doesn't quite mesh with rest. There are no mention of Kara and other heroes. Hell they act like Clark is the only one around. Clark's Fortress is also wildly different from the one he shared with Kara in Supergirl. Feels like they either should have matched them up better or just made them separate from the rest.

On 7/14/2021 at 5:40 AM, Eivion said:

Its nice to see Jay back in Flash finally. I had not realized he was officially moved to their Earth after Crisis.

Superman and Lois finally confirmed it does take place in the Arrowverse though it feels odd as it really doesn't quite mesh with rest. There are no mention of Kara and other heroes. Hell they act like Clark is the only one around. Clark's Fortress is also wildly different from the one he shared with Kara in Supergirl. Feels like they either should have matched them up better or just made them separate from the rest.

I was thinking about Kara too, and I guess I'm just resigned to the fact that she has been in the Phantom Zone, and that is why she hasn't been mentioned. Though I feel like Clark should have been a bit more concerned about that.

I'm not sure the Diggle cameos have really landed too great. It has been great to have that connective tissue, and I liked having him officially connect Superman to the Arrowverse, but he hasn't added a ton. I'm hoping his Supergirl appearance finally gives some answers regarding the Lantern ring.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Eivion said:

I thought Diggle's appearance on Flash worked well enough, but I have to agree that its mostly been just there.

I think they were able to work him in more on that show because he has more of an established relationship with the characters. It made sense for him to want to do more work with them, and even don the Spartan gear.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently, John Constantine is going to be written out of Legends at the end of the current season, but the actor - Matt Ryan - is going to stay with the show and play a new character next season.

(Apparently a Constantine reboot series is in the works for HBO Max. so they want to get the character off screen.)

Edited by Eoae

Re: next season of LOT (it’s in a lot of the same casting news pieces as the Constantine news, but spoilers just in case):

Spoiler

Gideon will be joining the cast as in a physical body, as they find themselves trapped in the past unable to use the Waverunner.

Saw that the other day.

Spoiler

I've been wondering when they would finally have Gideon appear in the flesh regularly. I'm curious if they will finally get into the her history.

Also saw that Vandal Savage is supposed to return. I really hope they do a recast and rewrite. I want my damn cave man. I don't really see a point of going back to his character otherwise.

23 hours ago, Eivion said:

Saw that the other day.

Hide contents

I've been wondering when they would finally have Gideon appear in the flesh regularly. I'm curious if they will finally get into the her history.

Also saw that Vandal Savage is supposed to return. I really hope they do a recast and rewrite. I want my damn cave man. I don't really see a point of going back to his character otherwise.

Spoiler

I'd be surprised if they recast him, since they used the character in a cameo very recently.

• Sad 1

I felt like it was a mostly bland take on the Savage character. but that was more on the writing than the actor.

Have they used Savage since then?  I gather he's going to appear in season 7.

41 minutes ago, Eoae said:

I felt like it was a mostly bland take on the Savage character. but that was more on the writing than the actor.

Have they used Savage since then?  I gather he's going to appear in season 7.

He made a cameo in season four. Ray is trapped in Hell apparently being tortured. When we see who his torturer is, it's Savage. But they're actually playing Jenga as they talked out their issues and are pals now. It's a lot of fun.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

After doing the rewatch for our podcast, we came to the conclusion that Casper Crump was pretty great as Savage. All the Hawks stuff stunk but he was fun.

He did fine with what he had to work with, but he never really felt like Savage to me. The best thing he did was easily his cameo in season 4.