DVDVR Message Board

DC TV - 2021

It's kind of sad there there hasn't been anything said about Black Lightning ending their series.  I know @J.T. was into it for awhile but not sure if he was still watching.  I know for me the ASA/Markovian took things in a weird turn but felt they did a good job getting back on track this last season.  Satisfying conclusion that opens up a door for the Painkiller show and overall I'll miss Black Lightning.

Speaking of show endings I would have been quite alright if Flash ended their series last night.  I'm sure they'll have another big villain coming up but they could have ended it with the supermegahappy ending and called it a series.  But I see they have another season though kind of wish they would end it soon.  Something just feels off about the Arrowverse shows and while some like Supergirl and Black Lightning are ending/have ended I think it's time to consider that for Flash.  And with Superman and Lois killing it plus Batwoman finding its footing again CW's going to be just fine with the DC shows.

2 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

CW passed on the Painkiller show.

There was talk it was going to be shopped to HBO Max, but that might be dead too.  Not sure.

I thought the finale crammed in way too much.  They had enough plot for half a season.  I understand why they did the JJ thing, but the heel turn still came out of nowhere.  The police chief going full-on supervillain also probably needed more time.  Jefferson's showdown with Tobias was short and felt underwhelming to me, especially after last week's emotional confrontation.  

I felt like this season took a back to basics approach with the first few eps, then kinda jettisoned that to focus on some fairly standard superhero plots (did anyone really believe Tobias framing Jefferson for embezzlement would result in anything substantial?  And it was kinda hard to care about the kid Tobias had killed because he knew Lightning considering the kids was only in a couple scenes all season and barely had a character).   

Really like the first season.  Mostly like seasons 2 and 3, with some qualms I've discussed before.  Thought this season was just average.

Kinda surprised BL got four seasons.  Looked at ratings the other day.  The first season drew fair ratings for a CW show, then ratings fell off a cliff and the show consistently shed large numbers of viewers).

Edited by Eoae
  • Like 1

Sandman cast dropped.

There's an image but i can't go hunting for it.

First and foremost, super excited that Lyta Hall is in this as Lyta Hall. I swear I thought they were going to excise some of the baggage and streamline as opposed to trying to explain to people what Infinity Inc was or whatever.

And yeah, Clara from Doctor Who is Constantine, so that's a thing. I welcome the madness of it.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Sandman cast dropped.

There's an image but i can't go hunting for it.

First and foremost, super excited that Lyta Hall is in this as Lyta Hall. I swear I thought they were going to excise some of the baggage and streamline as opposed to trying to explain to people what Infinity Inc was or whatever.

And yeah, Clara from Doctor Who is Constantine, so that's a thing. I welcome the madness of it.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Bustronaut said:

I believe it was stated that Coleman is playing Constantine's grabdmother

Seems dodgy to me but that could be an early season casting, yeah. 

Edited by Matt D

Just because her name is still Lyta Hall doesnt mean that she is still Wonder womans daughter and her husband is the 1970s Kirby Sandman. It should, mind you, … 

also, Fry as Chesterton is hilarious meta casting. 

Thought Black Lightning's finale crammed in too much. Bringing back the original actress for Jen especially fucked up the story they built with the chief going insane over metas with lightning as her focus. Jefferson's final encounter with Whale also ended just a bit flat, even moreso with Whale having not been outed yet as a criminal. Even Painkiller gettign fixed here felt unnecessary. Thought it was somewhat disappointing since they had the rights idea, but not really the time to execute them well.

Flash's big story ended ok I guess. I didn't care for the how they did the whole family aspect. I honestly would have rather seen the other force be actual forces with avatars like Barry is instead inhabiting actual humans.

Dug Superman & Lois quite a bit. I liked the big reveal of who "Luthor" really was. Kind of curious when they made that change. Feels liek we will see some kind of turn for him eventually with that reveal.

6 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

It's kind of sad there there hasn't been anything said about Black Lightning ending their series.  I know @J.T. was into it for awhile but not sure if he was still watching.  I know for me the ASA/Markovian took things in a weird turn but felt they did a good job getting back on track this last season.  Satisfying conclusion that opens up a door for the Painkiller show and overall I'll miss Black Lightning.

I only just watched the finale last nigh and needed sleep. That is why I said nothing till now. The finale was rushed and kind of disappointing though weirdly still had enough satisfying elements for me. In general I wish it continued. Felt like it had more life in it. 

6 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

I'm ok with this. I like the actor and character well enough, but nothing I saw of him this season made me want a full series for him.

6 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Speaking of show endings I would have been quite alright if Flash ended their series last night.  I'm sure they'll have another big villain coming up but they could have ended it with the supermegahappy ending and called it a series.  But I see they have another season though kind of wish they would end it soon.  Something just feels off about the Arrowverse shows and while some like Supergirl and Black Lightning are ending/have ended I think it's time to consider that for Flash.  And with Superman and Lois killing it plus Batwoman finding its footing again CW's going to be just fine with the DC shows.

While I do think Flash probably needs to end soon last night would have been terrible ending for it. 

• Like 1

Freddie Stroma (IMDB) is taking over the Vigilante role in Peacemaker

He is replacing Chris Conrad who "left the project amicably due to creative differences."

7 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I only hope that’s singing cowboy Vigilante and not Adrian Chase Vigilante.

You will be disappointed since it’s Adrian Chase

On 5/26/2021 at 7:25 AM, JonnyLaw said:

That kinda sucks, but I am okay with it.  Painkiller was an interesting character, but I don't think he deserved his own show, especially after already being knocked off once.

Jordan Calloway is a good kid.  I'd like to see more of him kicking ass on television or in the movies, not less.   Hopefully he'll make a career in action, horror, and superhero movies or mainstream television before he's doomed to a lifetime of BET / OWN / Aspire chick flick and rom com appearances.

Someone also needs to save Rome Flynn before he starts to circle that drain.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

I'm glad that Superman & Lois finally provided some connective tissue to Crisis and the Arrowverse at large, even if it was really small. I'm speaking of the obvious John Henry Irons being from another Earth story, as well as the obvious red flash in the sky when he was fighting evil Superman.

I dipped on Batwoman several weeks back, but it sounds like maybe I need to jump back in?

• Like 2

I finally got around to watching the last two episodes of The Flash, and they were fine. I’m slightly optimistic for next season, due to no COVID issues affecting the show and a pared down cast.

I did find it amusing that after all that time devoted to Frost insisting on doing things the right way with her trial and going to jail for life despite being recognized as having done lots of good things, she gets out extremely early because she broke out of jail and helped bring in some criminals.

4 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

I did find it amusing that after all that time devoted to Frost insisting on doing things the right way with her trial and going to jail for life despite being recognized as having done lots of good things, she gets out extremely early because she broke out of jail and helped bring in some criminals.

Yeah this was an odd choice. I assume the lady agent who arrested her will go crazy trying to bring her back in.

It's been a bit since Legends of Tomorrow's been brought up.  But I love how while you have Batwoman and Superman handling serious business here's these lovable goofs going all "Beauty and the Beast" over here.  Bless these weirdos who come up with stuff like this.

• Like 1

Carmus Johnson as Batwing in Batgirl (spoilers for size). These are the two photos officially released by CW

Spoiler

batwing2-768x1138.jpg

w/o helmet

Spoiler

Batwing-768x1138.jpg

full outfit