DVDVR Message Board

DC TV - 2021

1 hour ago, Eoae said:

Is anyone following the Dominic Purcell thing?  Apparently. he went on a social media bender and blasted the studio, announcing that he wasn't interested in signing a new contract for LoT in the process.  Then he apparently went into damage control mode and claimed he was just making a joke at the press' expense.  So, I dunno.

Only learned about it a night or two ago, but the feeling I got was that they are dropping his character as a regular this season because his contract is up, and he got more heated on social media about it than intended when he was venting. Based on what he said about a handshake deal for his occasional return I'm guessing they never offered him a new contract and that pissed him off. Can't say I'm too shocked. They haven't been too great about heads up and discussing with the actors when they are ready to move on from their characters going off of what happened last season for LoT with Brandon Routh and his wife.

Didn't it come out months ago that Purcell was leaving the show though. I swear there was a story about that, and it went nowhere. Of course I also heard this was the final season for LoT and there was an about face on that too. So idk what is happening.

This week’s Flash made me want to go back and read Slott’s She-Hulk just for the wacky super-hero related law. Camille’s powers probably break all sorts of legal ethics laws, but she’d make one hell of an expert witness as a lie detector, and the existence of doppelgängers and Crisis leftovers would make proving someone was guilt beyond a reasonable doubt more difficult.

On 4/18/2021 at 4:57 PM, JonnyLaw said:

This week’s Flash made me want to go back and read Slott’s She-Hulk just for the wacky super-hero related law. Camille’s powers probably break all sorts of legal ethics laws, but she’d make one hell of an expert witness as a lie detector, and the existence of doppelgängers and Crisis leftovers would make proving someone was guilt beyond a reasonable doubt more difficult.

I loved Slott's She-Hulk run. I still have the entire thing. 

Legends is back on Sunday and I'm jazzed.

Looks like a stone blast. Also, for the last year I've been co-hosting a podcast about Legends called "Gideon Guys." (Yup, an homage to Gilmore Guys). Same concept, it's a re-watch pod where I'm the guy who's seen every episode a bunch and my co-host Travis has never seen any of these shows. He's also an actor from Vancouver where they're all filmed.  We go off on all kinds of tangents and by the end of our first season the show really came together and is something I think is pretty fun, informative, and funny. It's on all the podcatcher aps and is on the PWOM Podcast network, or on Soundcloud.

https://soundcloud.com/search?q=gideon guys  

Edited by Johnny Sorrow
  • Like 2

Maybe it's just me, but Supergirl seemed to be trying really hard to remind you that yes, Superman is still connected to this universe.

Also, I thought the time travel episode was really cute, and Dreamer singing "9 to 5" was a pleasant surprise.

• Like 2

Per Deadline - both Tom Cavanagh and Carlos Valdes will be leaving The Flash after the current 7th season

Cavanagh was actually supposed to leave at the end of season 6 but since the pandemic cut that short that season

I would like the Flash to move away from trying to deal with the legal issues involved with superheroing because they’re doing a shitty job. You’ve got a bunch of superheroes willing to break the law because one of them is actually willing to be held accountable for their crimes. You’ve got people tossing up their hands and saying “Oh well” over a trial judge potentially ruling that Frost had to take the cure, as if that shit wouldn’t be appealed and stayed immediately.  Or acting like a trial judge ruling would create precedent. Or Cecile saying she had to go look at some case law books in her office.  And my favorite was Iris telling the Speed Force they couldn’t just steal people and test them against their will when they have (had?) a bunch of essentially kidnapped metas being indefinitely held against their will at Star Labs.

• Like 1

“Every meta in town will know what you did for us...” 

I mean, if precedent would have been set by ruling that she had to take the cure, then isn’t, by the same logic, precedent being set that instead of maybe getting 18 months in jail, metas can get life without parole? This is stupid.

Also, why the fuck were Caitlin, Allegra, and Cisco not arrested for hacking GCPD and destroying the cure? 

• Like 1

I liked Flash yet the whole legal stuff was a mess.  I also couldn't understand how Frost was able to plead for life in prison and that went through without issue.  I'm no legal expert but I don't think it works that way.  All I know is it seems like they're getting away from that next week so hopefully that's the last of it for a good while.

• Like 1

Supergirl has at least still had some charm, and shined up their B characters in fun ways. I've not seen an episode yet in the series, that focused on the Danvers sisters as kids, that wasn't at least enjoyable.  The obvious problem that show is running into, is not being able to use their star in the early going.

Flash, outside of a couple of fun moments, has been a real drag. I'm tired of all the sad boi shit, and with Cisco leaving, it won't get any better.

Legends was Legends. A hoot as expected.

Crisis really feels like it was the end of the Arrowverse, even if not by design. We'll still have DC shows on CW, but the magic feels gone. COVID was like the other team going on a 12-0 run, and you can never really get back into the game.

• Like 3

I never thought I would consider ranking Batwoman over Supergirl but when they don't focus so damn much on Kate Kane it's been rather enjoyable.  I'll still take season one any day though.

And nobody asked but I would say that for CW TV shows Superman is number one for me by a huge margin.  Following that it's Legends, Flash then a tie for Batwoman/Supergirl.  It's sad what COVID and other things did to shows that were crushing it in past seasons.

I haven't had much problem with Supergirl.

Flash has had issues for a while that likely won't be fixed until they change up the format somewhat.

Legends and Superman & Lois are good.

I can kind of see the argument that Crisis was the somewhat the end for the Arrowverse as a whole. In general the best stuff either isn't/doesn't feel related (Stargirl, Superman/Lois) or is off its own wacky world like Legends. Beyond that just watching the special for that Superman and Lois premiere made it kind of obvious DC/CW are ready to move on to the next thing with Superman and Lois as the centerpiece. There is a reason their format is closer to Stargirl's than it is the other Arrowverse shows.

Edited by Eivion

Stargirl and Superman are far and away the brightest spots in the DCTV lineup. I feel like all of these shows will always be at least loosely connected in a way, but the big event crossovers aren't coming back.

• Like 2