DVDVR Message Board

DC TV - 2021

9 hours ago, Eivion said:

Wow, this basically makes them switching out lead characters pointless and asinine. Its kind of slap in the face to fans who told them to do this shit in the first place. There is basically no reason to do this if the lead is still the new girl. And if they do switch them out then it will piss off people who became fans of her. CW should really toss out whoever is currently running the show.

This is why I'm wondering if they called an audible after shooting started or if the plan all along was to bring Kate Kane back.  Seems odd to be so emphatic that you're not going to recast the role, then recast the role eight episodes in.  Maybe producers aren't sold on Javicia Leslie or something.

I'd prefer to see Kate Kane take the Batwoman identity back up.  But I hardly watched the show last season, so I dunno that the actress or the character are really the problem.  I watched a bit of this season, but not enough to really have an opinion on Javicia Leslie or Ryan Wilder other than the general impression that the writers went a bit overboard on the drama when they created Wilder's backstory.

My real issue with the show is that it seems ok, but not really interesting enough to grab me.  Rachel Skarsten has been surprisingly good and the Kate/Alice stuff was interesting enough, but the scripting seems soft and I have yet to be interested in the Crows or the family drama.  I was hoping they'd take the soft reboot as a chance to completely jettison the family and the Crows and the lesbian lover and start completely fresh such.  

I'll probably give the show another chance to see where the Kate stuff goes.  Thinking about catching up on the past five episodes or so via Comcast on Demand.

1 hour ago, JonnyLaw said:

I watched the first episode of Superman & Lois and started on the second. So far, so good, but have they said whether/when this takes place on Earth 1? Presumably it’s some time in the future due to the kids being in high school, but I wasn’t aware if they had stated as much.

I'm pretty sure it's Earth 1, and I just chalked up the kids ages to " Crisis shit." Its my go to for explaining shit like that in my head. Like why this is a different Morgan Edge than before.

1 hour ago, Eoae said:

This is why I'm wondering if they called an audible after shooting started or if the plan all along was to bring Kate Kane back.  Seems odd to be so emphatic that you're not going to recast the role, then recast the role eight episodes in.  Maybe producers aren't sold on Javicia Leslie or something.

I'd prefer to see Kate Kane take the Batwoman identity back up.  But I hardly watched the show last season, so I dunno that the actress or the character are really the problem.  I watched a bit of this season, but not enough to really have an opinion on Javicia Leslie or Ryan Wilder other than the general impression that the writers went a bit overboard on the drama when they created Wilder's backstory.

My real issue with the show is that it seems ok, but not really interesting enough to grab me.  Rachel Skarsten has been surprisingly good and the Kate/Alice stuff was interesting enough, but the scripting seems soft and I have yet to be interested in the Crows or the family drama.  I was hoping they'd take the soft reboot as a chance to completely jettison the family and the Crows and the lesbian lover and start completely fresh such.  

I'll probably give the show another chance to see where the Kate stuff goes.  Thinking about catching up on the past five episodes or so via Comcast on Demand.

I doubt an audible was called seeing that they should have finished shooting the show some time last year so it was most likely planned. Personally I have no interest in checking it out again unless Kate is back in the lead. Nothing against Wilder, but I didn't watch the show for a completely new character. I watched the show for Kate Kane.

The problem was not with the Kate character or Rose. Those and the drama with Alice were solid. It was everything else that wasn't too great from Luke Fox being an average geek to a lot of focus on the step sister and family drama to the bad romance angle with Sophie (was especially annoying for Montoya fans) to the Crows, etc. They made a lot of dumb changes instead of ripping a good amount from the comics proper. It would have been fine if they at least did the changes they made well, but they never quite managed outside a couple of things.

1 hour ago, JonnyLaw said:

I watched the first episode of Superman & Lois and started on the second. So far, so good, but have they said whether/when this takes place on Earth 1? Presumably it’s some time in the future due to the kids being in high school, but I wasn’t aware if they had stated as much.

They have said nothing. Honestly with how old the boys are and the way the world is I'm starting to think it might be on its own Earth. I don't think they have even brought up other heroes yet.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

I'm pretty sure it's Earth 1, and I just chalked up the kids ages to " Crisis shit." Its my go to for explaining shit like that in my head. Like why this is a different Morgan Edge than before.

It explains Edge, as well as Capt. Luthor all but saying he was stranded on this earth post-Crisis.  I get the need to set up the show independently before bringing in too much stuff, but it just seems odd to not even reference other heroes, especially Kara. That’s part of why I’m wondering if it’s set a bit in the future.

On 3/23/2021 at 1:28 PM, JonnyLaw said:

They haven't explicitly stated, but my theory is that Crisis may have altered something and aged them.

Speaking of Crisis, I'm wondering if they are going to specifically say if this version of Lex is there because of it, or leave it opened ended. I'm sure this show has lots of viewers who don't follow the larger Arrowverse.Tbh with Supergirl ending, they may never need to address it.

Flash already feels better having closed out the Mirror Master story.

Edited by RandomAct
  • Like 2

Post Crisis, Earth Prime is where Batwoman and Flash takes place and other heroes from this merged Earth, Superman included and his Crisis reality altered changed sons.

Edited by D.Z

Bringing Kate Kane back seems like it's boosting interest in Batwoman.  Seeing a lot of Kate Kane, Black Mask mentions in my Twitter feed.  

Not so much about Ryan Wilder, who is still supposedly the center of the show.

I feel like Kate should take back up the cowl at season's end, or maybe the beginning of S3.  Not sure that would play well in the BLM era, though.  The CW certainly isn't doing much to discourage me from thinking it's at least a possibility.

On 3/29/2021 at 6:03 AM, Johnny Sorrow said:

T Rex arms aside, I love that they took the time to rehab Routh as Superman. He was a pearl in a shitty movie.

I actually watched Superman Returns the other day. Most of my opinion remains unchanged, it's a too long disappointment. Brandon Routh was the highlight of the film as Clark Kent/Superman along with the plane rescue scene that still holds up. Kate Bosworth miscast as Lois Lane. Supes suit still sucks. What has changed is the Bryan Singer and Kevin Spacey allegations we now know in light of the Me Too Movement. I'm glad Brandon Routh got to have another go in the role, he was the best thing about the Crisis on Infinite Earths crossover.

Edited by The Natural

We're halfway through the second season of Pennyworth and it remains unique and stylized and very comfortable in its own skin. It's hard to explain, like if Noah Hawley did Gotham. I don't want to compare it to Legion, because it's not nearly as psychedelic, or Fargo, because it's not nearly so irreverent but it comes of far more like some sort of weird alternate history modpunk (is that even a thing?) than a Batman show. I like individual actors (with Paloma Faith and Jason Flemyng really chewing the scenes but pretty much everyone does). 

I liked the first season of Pennyworth when I caught it last year. Nice to hear the second is still decent and interesting.

Flash was a solid enough episode. Kind of interested in them seemingly do a story on the other forces though my awareness of the stories with them is very minor.

Supergirl actually wrapped up last season's arc pretty fast. Figured it would be at least 2-3 episodes like Flash. Thought the conclusion was good and am curious to see where they are already off to with this next story.

So at the end of Supergirl, J'onn puts up the emblem for Sentinal among what I assume are supposed to be the other Paragons from Crisis? Or is it just supposed to represent their makeshift Justice League? I didn't recognize a couple of the symols honestly. Like, I can't tell if Alex replaced Supergirl and the emblem on the left belongs to Superman, or what the deal is.

Super late to the party here, but I just caught up on seasons 4 & 5 of Legends of Tomorrow. Really good stuff, I'm glad both seasons were pretty heavy on Constantine type stuff (but still fuckin' wacky at times). Nate has the worst goddamn luck with women, geez.

• Like 4

On 3/31/2021 at 7:06 AM, The Natural said:

I actually watched Superman Returns the other day. Most of my opinion remains unchanged, it's a too long disappointment. Brandon Routh was the highlight of the film as Clark Kent/Superman along with the plane rescue scene that still holds up. Kate Bosworth miscast as Lois Lane. Supes suit still sucks. What has changed is the Bryan Singer and Kevin Spacey allegations we now know in light of the Me Too Movement. I'm glad Brandon Routh got to have another go in the role, he was the best thing about the Crisis on Infinite Earths crossover.

Putting aside the horrible people you named... I really liked Superman Returns while also thinking it was an absolutely baffling set of decisions that ended up with, essentially, Superman in an art film about old boyfriends coming back to town. IIRC, Superman literally never does anything to physically attack anyone in the entire movie. Singer must've somehow gained so much trust from Warner to let him make that movie in that way.

As much as I dislike Snyder's take on Clark/Superman, you can at least see where the commercial potential in Man of Steel lies, with very well crafted large scale action sequences. SR's big set pieces are Superman rescuing an airplane*, a bullet bouncing off his eye, and him carrying a hunk of land. In a plot mostly about Lois having relationship issues with Clark and Whatisname, and the whole kid subplot. 

*I mock it, but that plane rescue scene is probably my favorite big live action set piece Superman has ever had.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Putting aside the horrible people you named... I really liked Superman Returns while also thinking it was an absolutely baffling set of decisions that ended up with, essentially, Superman in an art film about old boyfriends coming back to town. IIRC, Superman literally never does anything to physically attack anyone in the entire movie. Singer must've somehow gained so much trust from Warner to let him make that movie in that way.

As much as I dislike Snyder's take on Clark/Superman, you can at least see where the commercial potential in Man of Steel lies, with very well crafted large scale action sequences. SR's big set pieces are Superman rescuing an airplane*, a bullet bouncing off his eye, and him carrying a hunk of land. In a plot mostly about Lois having relationship issues with Clark and Whatisname, and the whole kid subplot. 

*I mock it, but that plane rescue scene is probably my favorite big live action set piece Superman has ever had.

I found Superman Returns (2006) an uncomfortable watch because of said horrible people, Singer/Spacey involvement. Yeah, Superman Returns is a weird blend of superhero film meets indie drama about relationships. Interesting how it was better received than Man of Steel (2013) but didn't get the sequels like Batman Begins (2005) released a year earlier would go on to have. Batman Begins is the best reboot ever while Superman Returns tried to be a successor to Superman (1978)/Superman II (1980) ignoring III (1983)/IV: The Quest for Peace (1987).

Superman Returns is way too long at 154 minutes. It's longer than every MCU movie except Avengers: Endgame (2019). What I forgot to say is the knock on event Superman Returns had on X-Men: The Last Stand (2006) as Singer left it and the X-Men trilogy to do this and how disappointing X-Men: The Last Stand was to X-Men (2000) and X2 (2003). To me, X2 is still by far the best X-Men movie followed by Logan (2017) and Deadpool (2016).

Edited by The Natural

• 2 weeks later...

I'm slowly catching up on the DC shows but have to say I absolutely loved everything about the Painkiller episode of Black Lightning.  The Neo-Vegas vibe along with the Khalil/Painkiller Yin/Yang dynamic is an absolute home run for me.  So imagine my delight when I find out that this was a soft pilot with a spinoff show coming up.  Sign me the hell up for that, please.

As for the other shows Batwoman without as much focus on Kate is much better.  I sensed that they'd grow as a team and it's making for a more enjoyable show.  I do worry about Kate coming back as that's going to cause some issues.  But if they can find a way to subvert that then I'll stick with it for the long haul.  And Flash/Supergirl are enjoyable as always though I haven't seen this week's episodes yet.  I did feel really old seeing Flash go back to the 90s though.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

So imagine my delight when I find out that this was a soft pilot with a spinoff show coming up.  Sign me the hell up for that, please.

I don't think they've made the decision to pick up the Painkiller show yet.  Not that I've seen or heard anyway.

I had mixed feeling about the backdoor pilot.  They definitely needed to rethink Khalil's character to make him more sympathetic and well-rounded enough to carry a show, but I was thrown by just how different the character was.  The character in the pilot didn't much resemble the character in previous appearances, and I feel like the changes could be summed up as "black Oliver Queen".  Khalil was your typical high school kid before Tobias got ahold of him, so I didn't quite buy him seguing (fairly easily?) to meditating millionaire with his own Batcave (and an Asian Lucius Fox; Berlanti-verse certainly loves tech geniuses who hang out in high-tech caves).

I dunno.  I'm probably interested enough to see more, but I was more intrigued by the creative decisions they made than actually invested in the pilot.  Khalil's new status quo kinda reinforces my general criticism of the show.  I thought the first season of Black Lightning was fresh and grounded and had something to say about being Black in America.  I really dug the show when it was playing with the idea that Jefferson Pierce, school principal, was probably going to save more lives than Black Lightning ever could.  And then they got away from that rather abruptly in season 2 and the show became about secret government groups and war with a foreign country and basically became a more standard superhero show.

• Like 2

I still like Black Lightning but you're on the money about the changes from season 2 on.   As for Khalil I can buy that in the year+ he's been away from Freeland that with the ASA money he had time to find his new life.  The yin/yang dynamic going on his head was pretty great stuff and if they can build off of that they might have some darn good stuff on their hands.

I like the differences in Khalil after a yea away, but I wasn't super into the general idea of the show. I would probably watch if it got picked up just because, but I'm not really pulling for it to be.

Thought Supergirl and Flash were solid. I actually like them having Frost want to pay for her crimes. and I'm liking the phantom zone plot so far. Was neat seeing another fifth dimensional imp come into play.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2021 at 8:34 AM, NikoBaltimore said:

I still like Black Lightning but you're on the money about the changes from season 2 on.   As for Khalil I can buy that in the year+ he's been away from Freeland that with the ASA money he had time to find his new life.  The yin/yang dynamic going on his head was pretty great stuff and if they can build off of that they might have some darn good stuff on their hands.

I liked season 2 and 3, but not as much as s1.  Feel like s4 is getting back to the stuff that made s1 good, though Jefferson's depression and PTSD is a little too dark for my liking.  Black Lightning is the only Berlanti-show I've stuck with the past several years.  Tend to watch a few eps of the other shows each season, then drift away and not get back to them.

I'd much prefer to see a Tobias Whale spinoff, to be honest.

Is anyone following the Dominic Purcell thing?  Apparently. he went on a social media bender and blasted the studio, announcing that he wasn't interested in signing a new contract for LoT in the process.  Then he apparently went into damage control mode and claimed he was just making a joke at the press' expense.  So, I dunno.

• Like 1