DVDVR Message Board

DC TV - 2021

We tried the new Batwoman launch having dropped off and not seen the last few episodes of last season. The writing in the first two minutes was pretty bad and we actually didn't make it past "Can anybody moan or something?" as she was looking through the wreckage before deciding we were done with this one.

I'm going to give Batwoman at least until mid-season, but this show has gone off the rails. I'm hoping it improves once Ryan is fully Batwoman, and they stop mentioning Kate every 5 seconds.  That is just a writing blunder. If you want viewers to think a character is gone, you don't mention them often, if at all.

10 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Are we discussing the Sandman casting here or in the streaming thread? 

I know nothing from Tom Sturridge.  I'm sure the Lucifer casting will be popular.

Edited by _MJ_

Knew Christie would be in but didn't know as who. She will be nice though I agree that Lyta would have been a good choice for her as well.

Never seen Sturridge before despite his name sounding familiar.

I am always happy to see Charles Dance.

Thought Black Lightning had a solid enough return. The current direction is building off of last season well enough though it would be nice to see the family together instead of breaking down or nearly breaking down all the time.

On 2/2/2021 at 12:22 PM, RandomAct said:

Newest Batwoman was actually decent. I liked the portrayal of Victor Zsasz, but I still wish they'd stop talking about Kate every episode. Liked that they changed the suit to work more for Ryan.

I was ready to tap out on the series but I'm starting to come around to the progression of how she makes Batwoman her own and the unexpected ties she has to Kate.  Sometimes it's the little things that are enough to make me think "Hmm...maybe this will pay off wonderfully after all."  That and I figure it's fine enough to catch up on before the other DC shows are back in full swing (shit, forgot Black Lightning's back)

Oh, and I feel bad for not responding to @The Natural's PM about this but more than halfway through the first season and holy fucking hell Batman: The Animated Series rules.  Yes, it's obvious to many here but even decades later it's nice to see characters done the right way.  Mr. Freeze and Poison Ivy in particular have a lot more depth than that damn movie wanted to show.  And even for those done right elsewhere there's something about this Joker that makes me re-think my rankings.  If I separate between movies and shows it's easy but combining the mediums makes me ponder a bit more.  I also did not expect to really love the Gray Ghost episode so much but seeing that Adam West was him made quite the "Holy shit!" moment.  Now if I only I can resist the urge to buy stuff from the show a tad bit longer until the stimulus check comes in.

• Like 2