DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JAN 2021

Dolfan in NYC

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Apropos of nothing (or maybe not), I saw a commercial for the Go Big Show during a movie on TNT over the weekend, so it's the commercial the non-wrestling fans see.  Cody was barely in it at all.  I mean you see him for a second standing next to someone but that's all.  No mention f his name, no real footage of him doing anything, nothing. 

I think they actually run a couple different promos. I swear I saw one where Cody was more featured. 

• Like 1

I totally marked hearing Tarzan Boy during Jungle Boy's entrance once again. Once AEW gets a live audience back the audience participation is going to be huge.

Bear Country and Mike Verna were all more impressive than Gunn Club and I'd much rather see them on the roster full time.

Ivelisse impressed me in Lucha Underground, but I don't know if it was smoke and mirrors or her being carried or what, but she's been lackluster at best in AEW. Kilynn King needs to be used more.

Griff Garrison is still green, but has looked progressively better each time I've seen him.

Edited by HumanChessgame

15 hours ago, Pete said:

Wrestling Twitter is losing their minds begging Tony to licence Jefferson Starship's "Jane" for Orange Cassidy next.

For what it's worth, Greg and Dustin both seriously said that TK was trying to get the rights to it and they thought it would happen soon.

Also, Jane is some world title holder type shit. I would get fucking goosebumps if OC came out to Jane for a world title shot and then had that music play again after winning.

I couldn't help but smile every time -1 came out and talked shit on the mic. I would be totally OK with them bringing him out from time to time (when he's not in school of course). 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Leonidas said:

Man that "best of 2020" compilation felt like it took place over multiple years not just one. AEW had more highlights in one year than WWE had in the past decade, and even that may be understating it.

Look man, I appreciate hyping up stuff from a company you like, But WWE from Mania from 29 to 30 was in the last decade, and is probably the best singular year a US based company has had since prime RoH, and that’s assuming we don’t include NXT.

Better then WWE the last 3-4 years stuff combined? I could hear an argument for that.

Edited by The Man Known as Dan
  • Like 3

On 1/6/2021 at 12:12 PM, Craig H said:

LOL sorry for the triple post, but a light bulb went off in my head to check out the comments here:

I was not disappointed. So awesome.

The comments to the most popular "Jane" video were a bit more subtle. Which is quite fitting for OC

wlzTIPg.jpg

Edited by HumanChessgame
  • Haha 4

On 1/6/2021 at 12:12 PM, Craig H said:

LOL sorry for the triple post, but a light bulb went off in my head to check out the comments here:

I was not disappointed. So awesome.

OK, before we all go back to live wrestling and start singing the hook during Jungle Boy's hope spots, let's go over some music theory. The first WHOA-A-OH is a C to an F, a perfect fourth. The second WHOA-A-OH is D to F, a minor third. If you sing it the same way both times, you're goofing it up.

I'm sure American wrestling audiences will figure this out perfectly. Just like they've learned how to flawlessly count the number of rotations in a Giant Swing.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Haha 2

Eq0rNvPW8AA0TcU?format=jpg&name=small

Shame this didn't happen. Look forward to an AEW WarGames happening. There's Inner Circle, Dark Order, The Elite, Sting's crew and Team Taz. You'll get blood too. Just make it Submit or Surrender. I'd prefer the cages to be roofed as well.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

Look man, I appreciate hyping up stuff from a company you like, But WWE from Mania from 29 to 30 was in the last decade, and is probably the best singular year a US based company has had since prime RoH, and that’s assuming we don’t include NXT.

Better then WWE the last 3-4 years stuff combined? I could hear an argument for that.

Honestly the only things off the top of my head I can think of that I remember being highlights from WWE in the last 10 years are:

Bryan winning at WM30

Brock beating Taker

Sasha Bailey NXT

AJ Taker Cinematic match

Shield / Wyatts

Shield vs BOD+Bryan

Cesaro throwing out Show at WM

Maybe my memory sucks, and maybe I could think of more in time, but that's it. AEW is a breath of fresh air.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Leonidas said:

Honestly the only things off the top of my head I can think of that I remember being highlights from WWE in the last 10 years are:

Bryan winning at WM30

Brock beating Taker

Sasha Bailey NXT

AJ Taker Cinematic match

Shield / Wyatts

Shield vs BOD+Bryan

Maybe my memory sucks, and maybe I could think of more in time, but that's it. AEW is a breath of fresh air.

I'd have those along with:

John Cena vs. CM Punk, Money in the Bank 2011. *****.

John Cena vs. Brock Lesnar, Extreme Rules 2012. *****.

John Cena vs. Daniel Bryan, SummerSlam 2013. *****.

Andrade Almas vs. Johnny Gargano, NXT TakeOver: Philadelphia 2018. *****.

The New Daniel Bryan.

Edited by The Natural

4 hours ago, Leonidas said:

Bryan winning at WM30

Brock beating Taker

Sasha Bailey NXT

AJ Taker Cinematic match

Shield / Wyatts

Shield vs BOD+Bryan

Mark Henry Hall of Pain run, basically anything the Revival touched in NXT, Sami Zayn's entire NXT run, Mark Henry fake retirement, the Rhodes Brothers/Shield feud (best match of Cody's career, by the by), literally the entire Shield original run (Seriously, you picked out the Brothers of Destruction tag? That's almost there worst match as a unit in the original run), The New Day, especially there heel run, oh, also, that entire "Summer of Punk" thing. Off the top of my head. Also, having great womens matches for years, to the point AEW probably hasn't had one match from there women since the promotion was formed that would hit WWE's womens top 25 matches?

Like, I like AEW, I love a lot of elements of it, while others don't click with me. But that statement is just crazy with the level of good stuff the WWE has actually done in the last 10 years. The problem is next to none of it has been in the last few (Only things that could hold up from the last 2-3 years would be Bryan's heel run, including his match with Lesnar, maybe Lesnar/Finn, Reigns current heel run, and the Bayley/Sasha team/feud, as well as the rise of Becky, I suppose.)

I think a lot of those great WWE moments don't register as much because the follow-through was so often bungled. Brock beating Taker lead to Brock As Absentee Champion, the Summer of Punk led to Kevin Nash, Rhodes Bros vs. Shield led to Stardust, Cesaro being a Heyman guy for a week led to nothing, and the large majority of great NXT acts were screwed up on the main roster. After Bryan's big win at WMXXX, he had 4 matches before being injured for over half a year, came back for a combined 30 TV shows and PPVs, and was gone for three more years. Even the Shield, who's big run is probably the best thing I saw on US TV during this timeframe, wound up being the springboard for the historically awful push of Top Babyface Roman Reigns. So you end up having all these great isolated moments that were let down by the storylines that succeeded them, made worse by the fact that WWE thinks its audience are goldfish and the great moments stop mattering as soon as the workers are on to their next feud.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Bryan's heel run is a good one, but like John said it doesn't stick. For instance I don't remember who it was he turned on, how or why or who he feuded with after that. Mark Henry's salmon jacket definitely should have remembered that though! 

In general - I think everyone's memories work differently

I mean Bryan's heel run allowed (though unintentionally) for the Kofi Mania moment which to me was probably the most meaningful things since Bryan's own win (the mishandling - in many ways - of Becky/Rhonda ruined that... for me)

I mean that is an easy thing for me to remember while I could say all the AEW moments blend together and might be able to cite... God... one thing from the last 18 months (which freely acknowledges my own biases too)

I guess this is just a reminder that "memorable" - like so many other things - is a subjective term

• Like 4

To be honest, I think pretty much every year of WWE has enough moments to make a great highlight video like this. The (remaining) strength of WWE is to generate some really great (short) moments, but watching 2 hours and 59 minutes for the chance of one good minute is just painful. I mean, yeah, that video was great, but there's probably also a WWE highlight video that could make you think a WWE had a banger of a year. The difference for me is that I know that I'll have fun pretty much the whole two hours with AEW.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

In general - I think everyone's memories work differently

I mean Bryan's heel run allowed (though unintentionally) for the Kofi Mania moment which to me was probably the most meaningful things since Bryan's own win (the mishandling - in many ways - of Becky/Rhonda ruined that... for me)

I mean that is an easy thing for me to remember while I could say all the AEW moments blend together and might be able to cite... God... one thing from the last 18 months (which freely acknowledges my own biases too)

I guess this is just a reminder that "memorable" - like so many other things - is a subjective term

When WWE does something good it's really good (see Bryan/Kofi-mania, a lot of Becky's run) and seems all the better due to the mediocre quality of everything else. AEW has so far kept things at a consistently high level so that the individual "moments" don't stick out as much as the cards as a whole are really good. I don't know if that's what you were getting at, but at least that's how I feel about the two companies and their "highlights".

• Like 2

The WWE's writing has been so bad (even within the limited bubble of wrestling logic) every time I've tried to watch it in the last decade that I honestly can't imagine ever giving it another shot. The wrestlers are fine but they're working at wrestling McDonald's and it is what it is.

• Like 2

I remember Kofi’s title win, but I also remember his title loss. That worked out well, didn’t it.

Basically, I’m echoing what @John E. Dynamitesaid. WWE can do moments. They can’t do stories.

Moments can be memorable, but stories make you stay tuned. 

Edited by Log
Lodi!!!???! Damn autocorrect.
  • Like 2