DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JAN 2021

Dolfan in NYC

I would be surprised if Cody wins the AEW World Title in 2021, as he will need to win at as a heel at this point and I think Omega holds it until All Out 2021 at a minimum (and if Hangman wins it there like so many of us have fantasy booked, he should hold the title for the rest of 2021). That being said, recently watching DVD's of All Out 2019 and Revolution last year, Cody was the most over face the start of AEW and I'd argue should have dethroned Jericho (and quick side note, AEW DVD's are very well done and well worth purchasing, especially if you have not seen the events). It was a weird 2020 for Cody after the MJF feud, and while I'd wait to gauge an actual live crowd reaction before making the final call to turn Cody, it probably will happen at some point in 2021.

Given the tragic circumstances, you have to move up the already inevitable and turn Dark Order face, and agree with the post in the Dynamite thread that Hangman should be the reluctant new face of the group. At some point, we need the ass kicker Hangman of early 2020 back and not sure how that plays with a group like the Dark Order, but for now it's the right fit as he grows back into a main event challenger of Omega.

Really want to see the introduction of the trios title in 2021, and The Good, The Bad, and The Hungie absolutely should be the inaugural champions. The roster is deep enough to add another title, especially when they introduce the second television program. And with the awesome groups that they have, the trios titles should be just as compelling as the tag team division.

It was amazing to see the overall progress the company made between All Out 2019 and Revolution, and damn were things cooking before the fucking pandemic hit and stemmed the momentum of the company. However, they have chugged along pretty nicely all things considered, and objectively have some wind at their back with how they have handled the awful Brodie tragedy and should be able to create some compelling stories from it. Really hope that live crowds can return by All Out, as the AEW crowds were awesome and really added to the presentation. They have easily been the best North America promotion (and arguably in the world) since its inception, and hope that 2021 starts the charge for them to really push the stale and static WWE as the top dog in the business.

• Like 5

Wasn't really watching much WWE the last few years. Would Erick Redbeard be a good signing for AEW? Or is it a case where his greatest value would have been tag teaming with Brodie?

Also, would having Brodie Lee Jr inherit the leadership of the Dark Order and be on BTE bossing them around (despite only being eight years old) work in any way? Like, as a one off skit more than a long term angle, obviously.

10 minutes ago, AxB said:

Wasn't really watching much WWE the last few years. Would Erick Redbeard be a good signing for AEW? Or is it a case where his greatest value would have been tag teaming with Brodie?

Also, would having Brodie Lee Jr inherit the leadership of the Dark Order and be on BTE bossing them around (despite only being eight years old) work in any way? Like, as a one off skit more than a long term angle, obviously.

Erick Redbeard is passable as a singles wrestler, but fits much better in a tag (and him and Brodie were awesome as a tag team). Depending on how much they value 10/Preston Vance, there's probably still value in bring Erick Redbeard in as a hoss for the Dark Order, but I would not be pushing him to the moon.

It will be a bit of a quandary on how to book Dark Order, and find the balance between riding the wave of popularity due to circumstances and what is sustainable over the long-term. I lean towards going with Silver and Reynolds (on back on Silver's popularity) as the real breakout stars, as I think that was in already in motion and they are the right combination of plucky and believable (especially in trios matches with Hangman). Evil Uno and Stu Grayson are a damn good team in their own right, but damn the tag team scene is crowded with awesome teams on both sides of the face/heel spectrum, and for my money Best Friends should be next in line for a tag title run once Trent returns (and think there's plenty for the Young Bucks to do in the meantime with a likely and necessary FTR rematch, and likely match with The Good Brothers as part of the Omega/Impact story and fall out of the Elite). 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Big Z said:

Cody was the most over face the start of AEW and I'd argue should have dethroned Jericho

I'm going to disagree. Moxley was in the right place, at the right time, and was the right guy. Cody would have been too...predictable. Mox's reign was one of the best in pro wrestling in recent history, and I don't think Cody needs a belt (Mox doesn't really either, but he did it well.)

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, The Green Meanie said:

I'm going to disagree. Moxley was in the right place, at the right time, and was the right guy. Cody would have been too...predictable. Mox's reign was one of the best in pro wrestling in recent history, and I don't think Cody needs a belt (Mox doesn't really either, but he did it well.)

With what ended up happening with the pandemic, going with Mox to dethrone Jericho turned out to be the correct move, as he was much more adept to working matches with smaller/no crowds and is the bigger star to the casual fan. For the first few months of AEW though (from Double or Nothing 2019 to Revolution), Cody was the top face in the company and very worthy of carrying the top title. Also, I generally believe that the top stars should be winning and competing for titles (even guys that were mostly attractions like Andre The Giant and Undertaker went for the title on occasion). I agree that you need stars that can build big matches without titles involved, but the ultimate goal should be to be champion (and want Cody to go after the world title again, but as a heel who breaks his word from the original stipulation).

I've gotta wonder if we get one more Cody/Dustin tag team run before Dustin hangs it up, and if so, maybe they'll get a quick title reign (though generally speaking, AEW has been pretty good about not hotshotting titles around for quick ones). 

As far as a Cody world title reign, I see four possible scenarios:

1) a semi-illogical situation where the Champion goads him into breaking the stip for reasons unknown. Probably something that we'll all roll our eyes at like "Cody, I know you're such a great and honorable guy who always keeps his word, but I *need* to defend my belt against you because it's the *biggest match possible*"

2) At some point post-vaccine when we have crowds again, Cody becomes so popular that the fans demand it - maybe they put it to a fan vote, worked or otherwise - whether this is months or years from now or ever even happens at all (organically, anyway) is anyone's guess. 

3) The extremely cheap yet extremely effective move of turning heel and saying "What about the stip? Who gives a shit - I'm an EVP and I can do whatever I want" to a chorus of boos from people who are about to go home and tweet about how AEW is JUST LIKE WCW IN 2000. 

4) Cody legitimately never challenges for it and retires content as a 12 time TNT Champion, 8 time Tag champion, 5-time FTW champion, and 3x Dynamite Diamond winner

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I've gotta wonder if we get one more Cody/Dustin tag team run before Dustin hangs it up, and if so, maybe they'll get a quick title reign (though generally speaking, AEW has been pretty good about not hotshotting titles around for quick ones). 

As far as a Cody world title reign, I see four possible scenarios:

1) a semi-illogical situation where the Champion goads him into breaking the stip for reasons unknown. Probably something that we'll all roll our eyes at like "Cody, I know you're such a great and honorable guy who always keeps his word, but I *need* to defend my belt against you because it's the *biggest match possible*"

2) At some point post-vaccine when we have crowds again, Cody becomes so popular that the fans demand it - maybe they put it to a fan vote, worked or otherwise - whether this is months or years from now or ever even happens at all (organically, anyway) is anyone's guess. 

3) The extremely cheap yet extremely effective move of turning heel and saying "What about the stip? Who gives a shit - I'm an EVP and I can do whatever I want" to a chorus of boos from people who are about to go home and tweet about how AEW is JUST LIKE WCW IN 2000. 

4) Cody legitimately never challenges for it and retires content as a 12 time TNT Champion, 8 time Tag champion, 5-time FTW champion, and 3x Dynamite Diamond winner.

I'd like to see Cody/Dustin get a short reign as AEW World Tag Team Champions thinking back to their tag matches vs. The Shield in WWE, 2013.

Be interesting to see if and how AEW make Cody Rhodes challenge for the AEW World Championship and undoing the stipulation that he can't compete for said title.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Flair’s Shadow said:

Jay “Switchblade” White comes into AEW in Spring 2021 and resumes his battle with Omega..as 2 heels going at it for World Championship. 

It's not like I don't wanna see that, but if the pieces are in place for the forbidden door to be opened, I think there are way cooler matches you could run

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

It's not like I don't wanna see that, but if the pieces are in place for the forbidden door to be opened, I think there are way cooler matches you could run

Agreed. Jay White has grown on me but give me Kazuchika Okada, Hiroshi Tanahashi, Tetsuya Naito and Kota Ibushi instead.

Edited by The Natural
Can't believe I forgot Minoru Suzuki.
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I don’t think the forbidden door needs to be opened for Jay White to enter AEW ring. I believe Switchblade’s contract is done at NJPW late this month. 

AEW has come so far in so little time..    My one gripe was their women's division but I think they have it now.   If they can keep Thunder Rosa and Serena Deeb around.. maybe a couple other NWA women and pair them off with Anna Jay,  Dr. Britt Baker, Abadon, Penelope Ford, Big Swole etc...    it's a fresh division.  

Dr. Britt Baker and Thunder Rosa have star potential.   The heel turn for Dr. Britt has been amazing for her. 

7 hours ago, Casey said:

2021 already bringing the WTF moments.

Debbie Malenko never really got her due if you think about it. I wonder what she can do now after years of being on the shelf. I could see her as a Mr. Bob Backlund of sorts for the roster, if she can still go in the ring. I say give her some Dark work, Tony.

Edit: Looking at her Cagematch profile, and some other matches on a Google video search, it appears she made a brief comeback in 2017. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1