DVDVR Message Board

2021 IMPACT WRESTLING THREAD

Who would have thunk it?

Despite all the shit the year brought, I have been asking myself the question, 2020 was Impact's Best Year since ????

2008?????

Anyway - I am gonna put the Impact/TNA stuff back in its own sub-folder... let see if that folder last until 2022

• Like 1

Not sure anyone else actually wanted him, but OK. He's had some decent moments in Impact for the last few years. Mostly because of how talented the people he was working with were (like if generic Wrestle A worked a months long programme with Penta el cero M and then worked a months long programme with Rich Swann, they'd have had a hell of a year even if they did precisely nothing else).

• 2 weeks later...

Matt Striker and D-Lo Brown will be the new announce team

The list of people I could name that would be worse than Josh Matthews was short but Striker was most certainly on it

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Josh Matthews is moving to the Senior Producer role for the weekly TV and all PPVs, and signed a new multi-year deal.

I believe Madison Rayne is going to retire or something. She's slated to talk at Hard to Kill about her future.

• Like 1

She won't be missed*. Stryker and Mathews are so interchangeable to me that there will probably seem to be no change. I wonder what D-Lo will bring to the table though.

* I mean behind the mic. I've never watched her in ring and don't mean to denigrate her. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Josh Matthews is moving to the Senior Producer role for the weekly TV and all PPVs, and signed a new multi-year deal.

I believe Madison Rayne is going to retire or something. She's slated to talk at Hard to Kill about her future.

She recently Graduated College & took a Job out of the Wrestling Business. 

I'm one of the few but I liked Josh Mathews a lot on commentary. Thought he had great chemistry with a wide variety of different partners over the years... Borash, Pope, Sonjay, Callis, Madison, etc. so I will miss him being the voice of Impact. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DreamBroken said:

I'm one of the few but I liked Josh Mathews a lot on commentary. Thought he had great chemistry with a wide variety of different partners over the years... Borash, Pope, Sonjay, Callis, Madison, etc. so I will miss him being the voice of Impact. 

Yeah I never minded Josh Matthews on commentary. My one big complaint with their commentary is the mixing levels - at least during 2020, it was SUPER loud. I never liked Pope or Madison, though. I thought Matthews & Callis was the best, from the limited exposure I've had to Impact recently through YouTube and Twitch.

• Like 1

Matthews is adequate. But one of the problems with his recent Impact commentary is you can hear him fucking around occasionally because he knows nobody is watching and none of this matters. Callis has done it too. That can be fun at times, but it also carries the risk of making it feel like none of this matters. Guaranteed you won't be hearing any such quality whenever Callis is calling Omega's work, or anything for AEW for that matter.

When Striker's worst qualities are on display, he's pretty grating. He was actually on commentary for an episode or two late last year, but nobody noticed because Impact is a void from which no sound escapes. 

Curious about D'Lo. 

Edited by Andy in Kansas

1 minute ago, Andy in Kansas said:

When Striker's worst qualities are on display, he's pretty grating. He was actually on commentary for an episode or two late last year, but nobody noticed because Impact is a void from which no sound escapes. 

I saw mentions online of Striker making several right-wing comments during his "try out" on commentary that Impact/Striker had to later apologize for?

Oh boy, this'll be fun if that's true.

Can't say I noticed. I've taken to turning down the volume when checking in on Impact and listening to a podcast until there's a promo or backstage segment. 

But this is Impact. Nobody wants the spot. Only having to issue one apology would probably still qualify as a successful try out. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Matthews is adequate. But one of the problems with his recent Impact commentary is you can hear him fucking around occasionally because he knows nobody is watching and none of this matters. Callis has done it too. That can be fun at times, but it also carries the risk of making it feel like none of this matters. Guaranteed you won't be hearing any such quality whenever Callis is calling Omega's work, or anything for AEW for that matter.

Curious about D'Lo. 

Striker subbed in for Madison when Madison was defending Johnny Swinger in Wrestlers Court which she did win & Swinger was found not Guilty of Shooting Bravo. 

PW Insider confirmed that Taya Valkyrie is done with the company

Her deal was up at the end of December but she stuck around to finish all the storylines that involved her

• 2 weeks later...

Love a crazy random stipulation match

Impact Wrestling has also announced that the "Triple Threat Revolver" match will debut at No Surrender. It will feature Trey Miguel, Chris Bey, Ace Austin, Willie Mack, Josh Alexander, Blake Christian, Suicide, and Daivari.

The Triple Threat Revolver match "will be a revolving series of Triple Threat matches - three men begin, when somebody is pinned or submitted another man enters. When we get down to the final three, whoever scores the fall is the winner." The winner will become the number one contender to the X-Division Championship.

• Haha 1