DVDVR Message Board

RING OF HONOR in 2021

Just slightly getting back into ROH...

Damn, when did Tyler Bateman (beneficiary of the Tyler Black Edgelord Name Generator) shave his head and get thicker?  I haven't seen the dude since he was teaming with Brody King on the indies, looking like a scrawny steampunk vaudeville dude and always taking the fall in tag bouts.  They did have a sweet bout vs Ringkampf on a PWG show, though

Why did Vinny Marsiglia lose his last name and decide that looking like Rob Zombie but working a Bray Wyatt gimmick was the way to go?

You know it's sad when their wrestling buddies look worlds better than the crappy figures they've had through FTC.  Neat to see them get in the game with that.

And I'm oddly curious about their fight on the farm so I may end up checking it out.

Bateman was wearing a Carpathian Forest patch on the ass of his pants so that was cool. 

The three-way had a German Suplex-off with all three guys taking turns. Yikes. I think the strike exchange model has finally jumped the shark way past where it already had. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2021 at 6:14 PM, FireThunder said:

Maybe the cinematic match isn't quite dead yet. This was lots of fun!

These dudes are stiff as hell. The opening promos were top notch ("maybe i'll do it again!? Maybe i'll do it again!"). And they were not only vocal the whole time, you could clearly comprehend their woes - which was cool. Definitely my favorite match in a long time, and I liked their 500th episode match plenty.

i still cannot decide which Briscoe I like more. Mark is funnier and crazier as far as what he's capable of - I love that he seems to have less of an ego than any wrestler ever - he genuinely does this as a contribution to his family. But Jay never ceases to amaze me with just being a stiff meanie who is so precise with everything he does. He's the less-is-more Briscoe and I cant get enough of it. He's the best possible Roman Reigns right now and I almost regret wasting time watching Reigns do his heel thing when I see Jay oozing charisma as a plain meanie.

• Like 3

I would love a Complete + Accurate on The Briscoes. I have never seen them put in less than 100% and it seems like throughout the years, it's usually their opponentsdull crowds, or somewhat unfavorable booking that bring their matches down. I could be wrong; I didn't see any wrestling for about 10 years (I followed The Briscoes in PWI to find out about Jay's run as ROH champ and I finally got to see them (in jail) against the Young Bucks in 2018). Is there anything The Briscoes cannot do? They make a forearm exchange seem like a legit thing in 2021

• Like 1

The Gresham/Yehi match was really good as well.

It's amazing how ROH went from being the shits pre-pandemic to mega awesome during the pandemic.  Having to not use NJPW and Elite as crutches helped ROH shine on its own.

As much as I love what AEW is doing, I really want AEW and ROH to stay away from each other, as they're both so different and so good right now- they wouldn't mesh well.

(saying this because Rush has been talking up facing Omega some)

I hope ROH comes back down here again, I'd see their show right now before I'd see a Dynamite live.

13 hours ago, Horatio said:

They make a forearm exchange seem like a legit thing in 2021

Very notable part of that match. I mean it is brother vs. brother so they better lay it in, but it totally worked in that context. 

Rush would be working alongside Andrade in AEW for sure. We do NOT need another stable in that fed. Just let Andrade be the sole Ingobernable.

EDIT: And I can see Rush facing Omega in AAA for the Mega title at least, unless Rush and AAA have beef

Edited by Curt McGirt

RUSH might actually be the best pro wrestler in the world, but man am I cringing at the possibility of Flip Gordon, RoH Champ.

I looked at the tourny brackets and thought this is when Savoy finally wins a major title, then fuck, Green shows up, cutting the standard issue "New York held me down".  On the plus side, she didn't hurt herself any more than usual.

That was a great PpV.

I impulsively bought (nice) tickets to this show about half an hour before bell time and it worked out great. The show breezed right by, felt real good to be back in there.

Proper writeup in a day or two but the big takeaways are that Lethal/King ruled more than a few shades of ass & Rush is a fucking awesome professional wrestler.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 5

Chris Hero was backstage during the PPV

Reports are he was working as agent

ROH confirmed he was there but not that he was working for the company

• Like 3

Hopefully Hero switches to an alternate timeline and immediately signs with AEW.  I.am glad that  he has had time off to rest and recharge his wrestling batteries.

If he is unfortunately not able to wrestle I would also prefer he be in AEW.  He has trained some prominent names in North America and Europe.  He would make a perfect coach for trainees and an agent helping during shows. While he isn’t young at this stage he is ridiculously experienced with working and training credible wrestling names for more than fifteen years.  His experience working/training wrestlers from the UK, Europe, Mexico, Peru, Canada, Japan and that middle country in North America make him well versed for almost any locker room you could think of in 2021.  If he does settle into an agent role in ROH he will do a great job.  

ROH sadly mistimed their peak years but someone like Hero could help set a standard behind the scenes that could hopefully build towards future artistic and workrate standards they had from roughly 2004-2011ish.  Hero can also serve as a knowledgeable if not also entertaining commentator for TV and PPV.  That last attribute makes him a great fit for my current favourite wrestling in AEW.  Should he also be able to wrestle then my interest in his employment increases  ten fold.  

He is just THAT GREAT. 

I thought I read somewhere that Hero and an EVP or two have issues.  ROH might be where he settles.  Should Hero actually wrestle for ROH then I would feel equal parts great enthusiasm and a minor obligation to follow and/or actually start watching ROH regularly for the first time sincerely 2012.

I love Hero but he's never going to have a look for TV and his style greatly benefits from having more time to work & and a smarter crowd to take it in. I think RoH is a reasonably good fit for Hero - but I think Hero is an even better fit for RoH, if you will. They lost so much ground during the pandemic, no way they're ever gonna be the #2 company in the US again, they should make moves to be a super indie again. Hero's a step in that direction regardless of how they use him.

• Like 2

I'll follow Hero wherever he goes - he's the GOAT as far as I can tell... Gulak, Gallagher, Lorcan, and Thatcher have been booked better, but he made being a jobber in WWE a mustwatch thing. 

I think his look is only a problem until the match starts and you hear him talk and realize he's like a bizarro-Hogan on the charisma scale.

If he's backstage in ROH, that's fine. I'm sure he'll get a good rest in and come back as the greatest old man wrestler of all time. 

Super Dragon is the one I want to see in AEW, but we all know chances of that happening are slim.

• Like 1

Previous PPVs after Covid for me had those "ok, its almost good" feel, but I feel like this one finally delivered. I think I liked most of what I saw thou I have to shake my head at RoH still doing "title challenger loses major singles match before his title challenge". Or the fact that we have guys like Flip and Taven with title shots for over a year. And we now can add Rush to the list who'll likely challenge way down the line at Final Battle or something like that.

On 7/13/2021 at 3:05 AM, Archibald said:

Previous PPVs after Covid for me had those "ok, its almost good" feel, but I feel like this one finally delivered. I think I liked most of what I saw thou I have to shake my head at RoH still doing "title challenger loses major singles match before his title challenge". Or the fact that we have guys like Flip and Taven with title shots for over a year. And we now can add Rush to the list who'll likely challenge way down the line at Final Battle or something like that.

This was exactly my thought as well. Flip lost but gets a title shot at the next show? Makes zero sense. If he couldn't win this match why would anyone think he could beat Bandido?  They have done this all the way back to Gabe and it's head scratching to me. Otherwise it wasn't a bad show. Taven and Vincent in a cage to main event a show? Not sure how well that well draw. They should have had that match in the Boston area. 

On 7/6/2021 at 6:14 PM, FireThunder said:

Maybe the cinematic match isn't quite dead yet. This was lots of fun!

Finally watched this match and really wondering if this match is crazier than the 2005 (I think) match they had for Hellaware Assassin promotion where it was literally 20 years old Briscoes in what looks to be someone driveway giving each other unprotected chair shots to the head and bumps on concrete.  Just an incredibly reckless match.   It is pretty close

And still contend that Papa Briscoe is crazier then both of them.  Hell probably crazier than half the ROH roster

• Like 1