DVDVR Message Board

RING OF HONOR in 2021

Well with Katie Forbes she was discovered in a strip club. Hear rumors that Mean Gene use to pay for her to fly out and keep him company years ago. 

Wildkat ,Luke Hawx's fed in NOLA, trained Katie Forbes and Amiya Jade. Hyped the hell out  of both of them. Then in her first match Katie botched everything. From what I can remember Katie only had 4 matches in Wildkat,before they just killed the women's division. Sometime after this is when Katie met RVD. 

Amiya Jade ended up working a bit for a few LA/TX feds. But I think she retired 3 years ago. We had footage of Katie's first match in Wildkat and it was so bad that we were paid to never upload it. 

• Haha 2

Episode 400~! 

I paid no attention to Delirious/Romero. 

Both of those tag teams have goofy double teams that require the opponent to stand there without struggling to escape while the other guy is gonna do something to them. We also got the old WWE trope of feuding tag partners. Bandido does a really nice Shining Wizard though. It feels like that move was everywhere for awhile but not recently. 

Wait, are they spacing this out over two episodes? I want my Briscoes match! 

EDIT: I forgot about Delirious' little speech to the camera before the match -- translating that babble on the screen is even funnier than Danhausen, but making it serious? That's another level. I want to know who the translator is. Is there a dictionary of Delirious Speak? Can you take college electives in it?

Edited by Curt McGirt

On 4/18/2021 at 1:04 AM, alstein said:

Lethal-Gresham is a must watch from this week's TV.

Oh yeah, that was good. I love the story- "We will destroy each others shoulders!"  Finish was a little sudden but that's fine.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2021 at 6:51 PM, DEAN said:

Oh yeah, that was good. I love the story- "We will destroy each others shoulders!"  Finish was a little sudden but that's fine.

If I'm not mistaken every Gresham's title match had different ending. So this is probably an idea that they are running with.

• Like 1

Watching the new ROH Women's Wednesday, I see that ROH has gotten two Texas indie gals, Booker T trainees Hyan and teenage Rok-C.  And I just saw Max the 
Impaler on a rerun of OVW.  More free wrestling!

EDIT:  That was good.  They had one tag match and gave it a lot of time.  Hyan and Max the Impaler were good against each other.  Laynie Luck and Rok-C looked good too.  GOOD!

• 2 weeks later...

I was watching this week's ROH to watch Quinn McKay get slaughtered by Angelina Love and they look to have another in the continuing and hilarious series of Brian Johnson/Danhausen matches, but then Danhausen introduces a GIFT!  I had TOTALLY forgotten about PCO.  ROH has this weird ass underbelly.

Please tell me PCO came out of a box. 

EDIT: Here's the Digest version of Briscoe vs. Briscoe for the 500th Episode show that I somehow missed on TV. Did they even play it? They appeared to cut the episode into two pieces but this didn't show up, and I don't know how I could have missed it.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

Caprice was cracking me up during that match. "He speaks carburetor... battery..." then flipping out over the moonsault kickout, he was funnier than Danhausen. "So that's how you get your teeth!" Johnstone gets second place for bumping around like that.

Love/Quinn had some nice pathos. Normally not a fan of the extended submission but they milked it well here. Quinn's abs were surprising. 

Hey speaking of ROH's weird roster, ECIII is here? I thought he was stuck in NWA or something. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Love/Quinn had some nice pathos. Normally not a fan of the extended submission but they milked it well here. Quinn's abs were surprising. 

I had almost forgotten how good Angelina Love was.  I remember her being great on Impact a thousand years ago. According to cagematch.net, that was Quinn's NINTH match so Love did a great job of carrying her.  I didn't buy Quinn letting go of the submission but she makes a really great babyface.  

• Like 1

I love Primal Fear.  My dad's side of the family are from Hawaii and they all look like my nephews and cousins.  Should have won.

I liked the tag title match. Taven selling the leg was reminiscent of Ricky Morton selling the shoulder and Williams and Titus assumed the Arn/Tully role pretty well- though I dig their NWA Champion style of rough but nor heelish style.  You know, the Foundation doesn't cheat but they aren't a batch of pussies.  Mike Bennett is totally awesome.  I can't imagine this match getting over in front of a paying crowd, but I've been wrong before.

Oh shit, Flamita went SATANIC~! We have a new Anticristo. I await the boos of Catholics across Mexico when he returns. Apparently he's completely suicidal as well because he stole the Big E spear through the ropes and goes face first into the floor. 

• Like 2

I watched ROH TV last night because I do like the Survival of the Fittest concept, so we'll see if I keep watching past this week's episode.

I thought Flamita/Horus was a fine start to the tournament with Flamita in spots trying to get over his new heel persona. As @Curt McGirtsaid, some of those spots screamed "I'm trying to get injured" like the Big E spear (which always pops me), and a couple of the dives (specifically the tope into the chair. However, I did like the moonsault swipe even if it did lead to an apron bump.

Woods/Silas was absolutely fantastic and is the kind of wrestling that scratches my "why I still watch this on occasion" brain. It was a case of class vs smarts with Woods knowing he can outclass Young in a pure rules wrestling match, and Young using positioning and heeling it up to both get away with cheap shots and getting into Woods's head. The rope breaks played into it exactly how they should have for one of these, and I liked the ankle hold. Fun match. Happy I gave this show the 50ish minutes.

The Ric Flair car insurance ads show that Flair definitely doesn't vet sponsors well (although, that's always been known).

Also, the commentary could be a bit better. I noticed this at 19th Anniversary too that the commentary improved when Romero joined. Not sure if it's the lack of crowd or what that's hurting it.

• Like 1

ROH (and Impact) could definitely use live fans again, at least in some limited capacity. Hell, WWE would probably already have them if they hadn't spent a million dollars on video screens. I haven't had any issue with the commentary though, Riccabone and Caprice are fine especially when they have something to laugh about like Danhausen. When your nearest comparison is Striker and poor old D-Lo then you're batting 1000.